[jsdl-wg] Re: summary of topology thread

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue May 10 09:39:46 CDT 2005

On Apr 27, Karl Czajkowski loaded a tape reading:
>   <jsdl:Resources>
>      <jsdl:TotalCPUs>jsdl:rangeValue</jsdl:TotalCPUs> ?
>      ... other totals for RAM, VM, etc. ...
>      <jsdl:Resource>
>         <jsdl:Count>jsdl:rangeValue</jsdl:Count> ?
>         <jsdl:CPUs>jsdl:rangeValue</jsdl:CPUs> ?
>         ... other per-resource constraints ...
>      </jsdl:Resource> *
       <jsdl:Resources /> *
>   </jsdl:Resources> *

I have changed the cardinality as I think it should be if we want
the general case:

  0-N Resources clauses since a job may have none?
  0-N Resource clauses per Resources because it may have only
      "global" constraints
  0-N nested Resources if you want the hierarchical model. in this
      case, we need to define whether "global" attributes summarize
      all Resource + Resources children or ONLY Resource children.
      I advocate the first total summation of all children.

to address Andreas's problem, I think we should add an attribute
to the Resources element:

   <jsdl:Resources resourceModel="spaceshare">

we need to define a few values and also assert a default model to
assume if it is not present.  I suggest spaceshare as the default
because I am biased towards batch jobs. :-)

   - spaceshare: the resources content describes the virtual
        "portion" of resource that the job gets to use, which MAY
        be a small part of a larger physical resource complex

   - physical: the resources content describes a real physical
        resource complex (for Andreas's provisioning use case)

   - virtual: should we presume a virtual machine version of the
        physical scenario?  this seems to be a new popular
        datacenter trick to get "mainframe" like behavior from
        commodity hardware...

   - other: some other extended content SHOULD identify the model
        interpretation to apply.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski