[jsdl-wg] JSDL vs NorduGrid xRSL: a comparison (fwd)

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 9 11:34:44 CDT 2005

Oxana Smirnova wrote:
[...]
> a) accomodate more elements (most notably, Run-time Environment for
>    an application)
> b) enable multiple job definitions in a single "script"/file
> c) allow for alternative parameter requests (e.g., alternative OS,
>    environment, host etc)
[...]
> Hopefully, this can be taken as an input for further JSDL
> development. NorduGrid so far did not participate in JSDL-WG
> activities, but can contribute in future, if the WG members find it
> useful.

Thank you for your input. The following responses are merely my opinion
on your three points, but I suspect that many other WG members will agree.

  a) This should be possible through either the existing subelements of
     the POSIXApplication element, or through extension. However I'd love
     to see more input from you on this as part of the development of the
     next version of the spec.
  b) This should be done by wrapping the JSDL singletons inside some
     larger XML dialect that describes the relationship of the basic jobs
     to each other. Although we want to support workflows, we've always
     pushed the workflow bit of it out of scope so we can get agreement
     on the rest of everything. :^)
  c) I think we're punting this one out to WS-Agreement (over a space of
     JSDL terms). It gets really complicated otherwise as you start to
     try to describe spaces of coupled terms...

In summary, "why isn't it possible now", "out of scope", and "out of
scope". But that's just a bit short and I think you'll prefer the longer
outline above. ;^)

Donal.