[jsdl-wg] my view on execution user and group

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 29 22:41:39 CST 2005

The concrete use case I have from Globus is to indicate under which
POSIX username a job should be executed.  I see group (actually,
default or primary group) as a reasonable extension of the concept,
though we do not do that today.  This use case is job configuration
details, just like POSIX limits, environment variables, etc.  It is
important in situations where there is not a one-to-one mapping of
global user identity (PKI subject) to local accounts for the GRAM
service to apply, e.g. when a user has several role-specific accounts
or temporary "scratch" accounts. Of course, such configuration values
are subject to authorization checks in practice.

I am not clear on whether this is the intended purpose of the existing
user and group fields in the User section, but if it is not then I am
not clear on what it is for at all...

I admit my bias is towards thinking of the use of JSDL in distributed
protocols like GRAM.  I guess if we were to use it in the local
"adapter" interface between the GRAM service and the local scheduler
scripts, we might have a use for specifying the authenticated user
name, which for GRAM would be a PKI subject name. This makes sense
because the adapter scripts inherently trust GRAM; GRAM would reject
the presence of such a field in the over-the-wire transmission of
JSDL, since the user identification comes from the binding-level
security mechanisms. I can see this kind of info belonging in a User
section for the adapter case, but I still need the POSIX username in
the executable section.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski