[jsdl-wg] my view on "user credentials"

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Mar 29 22:30:24 CST 2005

I don't disagree that user credentials will be important for many
jobs. However, I disagree that a type and semantics-free
UserCredential field, as in the current draft, actually helps.

I think a consumer of a JSDL document needs to know two things to make
use of credentials: 1) what is it, and 2) what is it for.  I think it
is wishful thinking to say there is one generic user credential
category and the consumer can divine the rest from the value
itself. If this is so, we might as well put this expressive value in
the xsd:any##other slot as an extension (understood by some, but not
all, consumers).

For example, in WS-GRAM for GT4, we do not pass around credentials per
se, but we do pass around references to credentials (the actual
credentials are moved ahead of time by out-of-band means relative to
WS-GRAM).  Because each of these references is of the same type (and
referring to the same type of credential: our GSI proxies), we have
separate fields in the WS-GRAM job language to designate the purpose
of each one: one to put in the job's environment (as a file), one for
WS-GRAM to use when invoking our RFT file transfer service, and a
third to pass through (by reference) to the RFT service itself (which
it then uses to authenticate with GridFTP).

We would have to use these wrappers in the JSDL transliteration, since
"user credentials" is too abstract to actually convey the different
meanings we have.  I suspect that any meaningful "pass through" would
have to do the same thing---designate _which_ target mechanism to pass
the values to.  It wouldn't help much if a JSDL consumer "passed" a
Kerberos ticket in the file where we expect GSI proxies, or vice
versa.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski