[jsdl-wg] GGF 13 notes and further discussion

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Tue Mar 22 05:26:51 CST 2005

Dear JSDL wranglers,

from the four sessions on GGF I compiled a list of topics that are
unclear to me. My comments etc. are in square brackets ("[ and "]).
Please feel free to comment.

Session 1

- Fig. 1: suggestion to do a different document with
    scoping/explanation if this is controversial

- multi-job [i.e. NAREGI] scenarios use container
   reference mechanism to pick up the needed pieces.

   [This would require identifying name attributes
   that should be of type NCName so that the container
   can use QNames to refer to needed parts. Alternatively,
   XPath or XQuery are an option, although not really
   handy in this case, IMHO]

Session 2

- Units - declare as QNames?

   [I thought we agreed that units vanish and frequencies,
   bandwidth and storage are given, either as float or
   integer, with a fixed unit like Hz or Byte, respectively.
   However, can't find this in the notes stored at GridForge.]

- open content on data staging

   [What does that mean?]

- ref/name: check tooling support

   [Standard Java toolkits, SAX and W3C DOM, support this.
   However, AFAIK we didn't really clearly decide on using
   this.]

Session 3

- A tag to indicate what the client wants to be understood
   or not? Everything should be understood vs

   [Hmm... vs what? What did we decide?]

- jsdl:Application
   xsd:any##other with cardinality 1 vs jsdl:ApplicationType
   with type xsd:any##other and list all applications that
   are defined separately

   [No decisions on that so far, I think. It intertwines with
   Igor's proposal.]

- need some tie-in to acs wrt [with respect to?] application
   definitions

- [and these] limits should be under application executable

   [so these are then basically part of the normative JSDL
   extensions, or are they supposed to be child elements of
   the jsdl:Application element which is the parent element
   of the future normative extensions?]

- [and the] limits are not used for resource selection; they
   are in the environment

Session 4

- Get rid of all String types?

- Ranges implicitly define operators, i.e. between 'a' and
   'b'

- Discuss on the list which resource constraints are
   global total constraints and which are per process
   constraints.

   [Are there constraints that can be both? For example, One
   may constrain the job to use no more than 10 Gigabytes of
   physical memory, but each process must not consume more
   than 10 Megabytes of physical memory. Is this a valid use
   case?]

Cheers,
Michel