[jsdl-wg] Issues for the teleconference tomorrow

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Mar 8 02:35:44 CST 2005

Karl Czajkowski wrote:
> On Mar 08, Andreas Savva loaded a tape reading:
>
>>Karl, Michel
>>
>>Karl Czajkowski wrote:
>>
>>>On Mar 07, Michel Drescher loaded a tape reading:

>>Michel, I think the word you were looking for was 'simple.' ;-)
>>

> It is "simple" right up until you need to pass through strings that
> have your separator whitespace, or quote marks, or what have you
> embedded in one program argument!  I think it is much simpler to
> maintain structured data than it is to try to embed funny
> serializations of structured data into the JSDL info set model.  This
> is particularly so when a consumer of this document needs to translate
> the structure into some arbitrarily different structure or serialized
> syntax to safely pass it through local implementation layers.

It's 'simple' and covers many cases but complicated cases make it very
complex. :-) Your description of the problems is good and I like having
the extra structure.

I know argument parsing is a black art. I think our assumption might
have been that the contents would go through as-is, unseen and untouched
and not our problem.

(We did actually allow more than one argument in the distant past.)

Andreas

--
Andreas Savva
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd