[jsdl-wg] Issues for the teleconference tomorrow

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Mon Mar 7 21:51:18 CST 2005

On Mar 07, Michel Drescher loaded a tape reading:

> 1) Argument list handling in jsdl:Application
> Basically, the modeling of command line arguments in a whole string is
> ... cumbersome? I know, it works, but it looks ugly.
> Instead, I'd like to propose the following (in PseudoCode):
>     <Application ... >
>         <Arguments>
>             <Arg order:xsd:positiveInteger>xsd:String</Arg>
>         </Arguments>*
>     </Application>
> Every content in the jsdl:Arg element would be converted to quoted
> strings if it contains whitespaces.

I think you mean to have the "*" on the Argument element, not on
the Arguments envelope, e.g.

  <Arguments>
    <Argument>xsd:string</Argument>*
  </Arguments>?

I leave the "?" if Arguments is optional...

The order attribute is unnecessary.  The XML infoset model preserves
"document order" for child elements, partly I think as this is
critical to a lot of mixed-content approaches from SGML and HTML...

The XPath and XQuery specifications are examples of XML specifications
that depend on preservation of document order in the infoset, in order
to do positional navigation and selection of XML structures.  You will
not find a statement about this in XSD because the preservation of
order in processing is outside the scope of the validation semantics.
I think the WSRF and/or WS-BaseNotification activities may also depend
on this in a few places, but I am not certain of that.

> 3) Storage/bandwidth units
> At the moment, we use a mixed set of units. SI defines two distinct
> sets of units: One based on 10, and one based on 2 (adopted by the
> IEC), having the 10 based units the normal prefix (like K, M, G, T, P
> and E) and the 2 based units the prefixes Ki, Mi(!), Gi, Ti, Pi and Ei.
> I propose to use the SI units. For JSDL2, I propose to switch to an OID
> based system for these kind of units.

I agree.  To address your "Mi(!)" comment, the "i" is short for
"bInary", e.g. "Ki" means "Kilo-binary" and "Mi" means "Mega-binary".
It has been proposed that "MiB" would be pronounced "mebi bytes" as
opposed to "maybe bites" or "Men in Black" :-)

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski
karlcz at univa.com