[jsdl-wg] JSDL: GGF14 sessions

Ali Anjomshoaa ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 18:16:01 CDT 2005

Hi everyone,

please find the agendas for the JSDL sessions attached below. We will have
project presentations from those already working with JSDL in session 2,
on Wed. 29th at 11:00, in the Michigan meeting room. Please come along and
hear how JSDL is already being used in Grids.

Cheers and take care,

Ali

--

        ---------------------------------------------------- |epcc| -
        Ali Anjomshoaa
        Mayfield Road                   E-mail: ali at epcc.ed.ac.uk
        Edinburgh EH9 3JZ               Phone:  + 44 (0) 131 651 3388
        United Kingdom                  Fax:    + 44 (0) 131 650 6555

JSDL #1:
========

 - Introductions
 - Overview of the spec and schema
 - Scope for JSDL 1.0

JSDL #2:
========

 - Project presentations and use cases (see abstracts below)
   - GridSAM (OMII)
   - NAREGI
   - HPCEuropa
   - UniGrids

JSDL #3:
========

 - Public comment and open discussion

JSDL #4:
========

 - Post v1.0 tracker and a look ahead.

JSDL #5:
========

 - Group logistics:

 - Outstanding issues.

----------------
Project Presentation Abstracts:
-------------------------------

 - GridSAM (OMII)

"GridSAM JSDL Job Submission Interface"

GridSAM is an open-source job submission and monitoring web service based
around JSDL and WS-I. GridSAM consumes a JSDL document, supplied through a
Web Service interface, and converts this to an underlying DRM format. It
submits an appropriate job to the underlying DRM submission system through
DRM plug-ins. GridSAM maps file staging to the underlying DRM or provides
alternative staging if the underlying DRM cannot perform this. Currently
DRM plug-ins are available for Condor, Globus, SSH submission and local
job forking.

 - NAREGI

"An experimental implementation of a JSDL based job submission system"

NAREGI has developed an experimental implementation of a JSDL based job
submission system. In this presentation, we will explain about the target
use case, the architecture, how JSDL is used, and post V1 discussion, then
show demonstration.

 - HPCEuropa

"HPC-Europa and JSDL"

HPC-Europa is a big project which aims to provide advanced computational
services in an integrated way to the European research community. One of
project's goals is to build the Single Point of Access to resources of
European HPC centers. HPC-Europa centers use various Grid middleware
including UNICORE, GRIA middleware, and three Grid schedulers based on the
Globus Toolkit: GRMS, eNANOS, and JOSH. Each of these systems uses its own
interface and job description language. Therefore we decided to design a
uniform job submission interface based on JSDL. User requests are
translated dynamically to the site-specific interfaces by the Single Point
of Access portal.

In this presentation we show a subset of JSDL that was used to build a
uniform job submission interface and extensions which have been added.
Methods for adaptation of portlets' GUI to the functionality of grid job
submission services are presented, too. We also discuss advantages as well
as problems concerning use of JSDL in the HPC-Europa project.

 - UniGrids

"UniGrids and JSDL"

The UniGrids project uses JSDL at a number of critical locations within
the Unicore/GS architecture. The uses within the basic Atomic Service
layer and within the Resource Broker shall be outlined, as well as a
client-side library for translating simple legacy UNICORE workflows into
JSDL.