[jsdl-wg] TileSize and ProcessCount

claudio cacciari c.cacciari at cineca.it
Tue Feb 22 03:04:47 CST 2005

Dear All,

I 'm trying to understand the meaning of TileSize and ProcessCount
elements to describe a MPI + OpenMPI job.
For example, in a job submission request for a batch scheduler
(LoadLeveler, PBS and so on) I can specify :

tasks per job=3
threads per task=4
processors per task=4

in order to get 1 thread per processor ( processors per task = threads
per task ).
I can set "nodes per job"=2 (with a a configuration of 8 cpus per node)
or leave the scheduler sets this value.
For what I understand in JSDL there are :

[tileSize]             tasks (processes) per group
[ProcessCount]   tasks (processes) per job
[CPUCount]        processors per job (with ResourceCount=1)
[CPUCount + ResourceCount] processors per node + nodes per job

from which I can get :

tasks per job = [ProcessCount] = 3
threads per task = [ ? ] = 4
processors per task = [ CPUCount * ResourceCount / ProcessCount ] = 4
nodes per job = [ ResourceCount ] = 2

And so what is a "group of processes (tasks)" ?
Is there a way to specify "threads per task (process)" ?

Best Regards,
Claudio Cacciari

Claudio Cacciari                               CINECA - Via Magnanelli
6/3 40033
High Performance System Group    Casalecchio di Reno - Bologna - ITALY
e-mail: c.cacciari at cineca.it              http://www.cineca.it
                                                         Tel:
051/6171411 - Fax: 051/6132198