[jsdl-wg] CIM Reference (Again)

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 10:06:15 CDT 2005

The CIM reference I was using at the F2F was a preliminary release of
CIM 2.9, and currently we're only using the operating system types from
them (in their human-readable versions[*]). There is also a processor
typing model available, but it's just about unusable from our PoV
because CIM does not support partial order relations on its enumeration
types. (The problem is also there with OSes, but the amount of
cross-emulation is much less.)

The enumeration was taken from the ValueMap for System -> Operating
System -> CIM_OperatingSystem -> OSType part of the overall model
(Device sub-model, Operating System page, CIM_OperatingSystem class,
OSType field), though it is necessary to read the MOFs or the XML to
actually get the values. (Messy!)

The processor part of the model would be the ValueMap from Device ->
Processors -> Processor -> Family, except I find it hard to see many
people being happy at distinguishing between "AMD Athlon(TM) 64
Processor Family" and "AMD Opteron(TM) Processor Family" for almost all
applications!

The reference to the final version of CIM 2.9.0 is at
    http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cim/cim_schema_v29
but I actually used
    http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cim/cim_schema_v29_prelim
if that matters.

Note that as far as we're concerned, I think updates to the list of OS
types shouldn't be a problem.

Donal.
[* The core model is actually numeric, but we really don't want to go
    that route; it overexposes the underlying implementation details. ]