[jsdl-wg] POSIX UID/GID

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 10:36:16 CDT 2005

Christopher Smith wrote:
> I think the username itself is good enough. It's actually common to see the
> same username with different uids on different hosts, so I actually find
> uids not very useful. In some cases in LSF we've even complicated our lives
> by using uid and username.
>
> On 13/4/05 07:34, "Karl Czajkowski" <karlcz at univa.com> wrote:
>>Otherwise, I think we should use "UserName" and the name-only
>>semantics.  I guess numeric ID is esoteric enough to handle through
>>extensions if some subculture actually needs it?

I'm going to take these as meaning that we should not mandate uids/gids
at all (just user names/group names) and that anyone who wants anything
else is a) going to have to do an extension and b) probably doing the
wrong thing anyway. That suits what I feel very nicely! :^)

Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Donal.