[jsdl-wg] POSIX UID/GID

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 09:26:11 CDT 2005

The telecon has decided to move the UID/GID bits from User to the POSIX
version of Application (whatever that's called; I'm behind tracking the
exact name of things right now). But a question has come up about the
meaning of the content of these elements.

It is obvious that they have to be able to accept usernames in their
xsd:string content (and I'm aware of systems with spaces in usernames,
even if this is not something I'd ever do myself) since they're how
POSIX user identities are exposed to users normal. However, with names
like they have, should they also accept numeric UIDs? I don't have a use
case for this (it's a detail I'd want to always hide) and I'm not aware
of anyone ever having a wholly numeric username.

As I see it, we have three options:
  * Current name, user-name semantics
  * Current name, user-name-and-uid semantics
  * Change name (to UserName?), user-name semantics

Which do people prefer? (GID handling should mirror UID handling)

Donal.