[jsdl-wg] Tracker status values proposal

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 8 21:51:44 CDT 2005

Donal,

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Andreas Savva wrote:
>
>> This is a procedural proposal about the specification tracker settings:
>
> [...]
>
>> The meaning of these values would be as follows:
>> Pending: the issue has been accepted and is still pending
>>     resolution by the WG
>

> Actually, this has a pre-defined meaning in the GridForge software. That
> meaning is that "response from the artifact author is due" and IIRC,
> this item automatically migrates to Closed if no response is received
> within a certain amount of time.

Automatically closing the tracker is the default setting in the tracker
creation form but it is configurable. And I always change these settings
(they are evil) so that gridforge does not automatically close
artifacts. It is not particularly useful in our situation.

I don't see the problem with defining pending to be 'issue accepted but
no resolution' since it is similar in meaning to what you write above
and more applicable to our situation.

> Indeed, both Open and Closed also have pre-defined meanings. It seems to
> me like you are trying to sub-class these states (which is not a bad
> thing as such, but say what you mean.)

Not exactly. Gridforge is especially confusing here. Let me explain:
Gridforge trackers have predefined Status *values* "Open" "Pending" and
"Closed". These values  can then be one of two *classes*: open or
closed.  The default settings have values "Open" and "Pending" to be of
class open; "Closed" to be of class closed.

My proposal is about adding status values and not classes. Existing
assignments remain the same. Then "Resolved" and "Fixed" would be of
class open and "Deferred" of class closed.

Andreas