[jsdl-wg] application abstraction in JSDL (fwd)

A Stephen McGough asm100 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 09:03:40 CST 2004

Personally I'd go for a "tarThis" element.

I hate these overloading of URL thingies.

steve..

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> A Stephen McGough wrote:
>
>> Hmm, this would suggest that having the ability to extend the
>> DataStaging element was a good idea. Yes I think you've got a point
>> here. So that's my vote for an xsd:any in the DataStaging element. We
>> steered away from putting "copy folder" or "untar file" in the core
>> spec as so many DRM systems didn't support this. But it would make a
>> useful extension set.
>

> FWIW, I'd do that as special URLs, perhaps like this:
>   untar:ftp://foo.bar.com/pub/data.tar
>
> It's possible to do some *really* horrible things with URL syntax. :^D
>
> Donal.

Dr A. Stephen McGough
Research Associate,   Imperial College London,  Department of Computing,
180 Queen's Gate,    London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8310                        fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024
Assistant Warden,  West Wing,  Beit Hall,  Imperial College,
Prince Consort Road, London, SW7 2BB            tel: +44 (0)207-594-9910