[jsdl-wg] Version 1.0 of the XSD Schema for JSDL

A Stephen McGough asm100 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 06:27:37 CST 2004

OK, so I think we have 3 votes for QName and 1 fence sitter. Any other
votes on this issue?

Otherwise I think we should go for QName.

steve..

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> William Lee wrote:
>
>> I agreed that Qname type can be used, however, it's been a controversial
>> type to use throughout the history of XSD, because interpretation of
>> a QName
>> value needs contextual information (the enclosing elements and their
>> xmlns
>> declaration).
>> <jsdl:JobDefinition ...>
>>     <jsdl:CPUArchitecture>myns:sparc</jsdl:CPUArchitecture>
>> </jsdl:JobDefinition>
>>
>> For the parser, it needs to resolve the "myns" namespace prefix from the
>> enclosing elements in order to deduce whether it's in the jsdl
>> namespace or
>> others.
>

> That's why I wanted it. :^) The aim is to make those extensible
> enumerations where people can add their own elements but must do so in a
> way that won't tread on where we might wish to put our toes in future.
> The other sensible way of doing this is the informal technique used in
> specifications like CIM, where you just have a common prefix to all the
> values that you define. But if you're doing that, you might as well
> formalize it in terms of common XML rules.
>
> In terms of parsing, I think both SAX and DOM have support for making
> this sort of processing easy...?
>
> Donal.

Dr A. Stephen McGough
Research Associate,   Imperial College London,  Department of Computing,
180 Queen's Gate,    London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8310                        fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024
Assistant Warden,  West Wing,  Beit Hall,  Imperial College,
Prince Consort Road, London, SW7 2BB            tel: +44 (0)207-594-9910