[jsdl-wg] Version 1.0 of the XSD Schema for JSDL

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 23 11:13:08 CST 2004

Stephen, Donal and others,

please see my comments interweaved below.

> [...]

> What is the difference between xsd:QName and xsd:NMTOKEN?
> We've changed things over to xsd:NMTOKEN. It's easy to
> change to xsd:QName but I think we need to know why.

xsd:QName is a qualified XML name in respect that its local name part is of type xsd:NCName and allows for a namespace qualifier (like jsdl). It is thus a xsd:NCName extension (that doesn't allow for whitespaces either) with the optional ':' to form something like "jsdl:storageUnits".

I suppose xsd:QName is not needed for enumerations that we do not want to be extended by users (i.e. jsdlVersion).
Since xsd:NMTOKEN allows for characters, digits, ".", ":" and "-", it forms IMHO a superclass (in terms of power, not formal inheritance) of xsd:QName.

Cheers,
Michel