[jsdl-wg] FINAL CALL: Parameter sweep extension (to Sep. 19)

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 04:29:22 CDT 2008

Andreas Savva wrote:
> This is the final call for the parameter sweep extension. If you have any comments please send them to the list before Sep. 19, 2008 (next week Friday).
>
> After this working group final call finishes the document will be submitted to the OGF Editor and enter the process for official publication. As part of this process a formal public comment period will also be carried out.
>
> Attached pdf corresponds to this gridforge entry
> https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.jsdl-wg/docman.root.working_drafts.parametersweep/doc14595/15

Nitpicks and (hopefully) simple questions follow below. With the
questions, I'll be perfectly satisfied with whatever "editorial" answers
you choose.

Donal.
----------------------

Bugfix: inconsistent paragraph separation on page 3

Bugfix: example on page 6 uses DocumentNode to enclose XPath without any
namespace mappings; suggested fix: note in text above that this is an
abbreviated form for example purposes.

Bugfix: example on page 8 has similar problems, and has "[sweep]" just
above it (not a syntax recognized from elsewhere or defined here!)
though it looks like a broken reference to another document?

Bugfix: page 9 contains many uses of the odd syntax described above.

Bugfix: footnote 1 on page 9 contains multiple references to the same
document!

Bugfix: inconsistent paragraph separation on page 10

Query: is it worthwhile stating what happens with substring selection
when using multiple assignments into the same field and some of those
assignments change the length of the overall string? (Question brought
about by reference to Example 3 (pp11-13) though that doesn't have this
problem.)

Bugfix: on too many pages to list, we're inconsistent about formatting
of XML QNames and XPath fragments.

Query: is it worth using an abstract mathematical description of sweep
functions? (They're a pair, consisting of a maximal count and a function
from an integer to the DOM node to substitute.)

Query: is it worth noting that implementations may wish to constrain the
allowable space of values for LoopDouble/@step to exclude zero?

Bugfix: in Examples 7-8 (pp31-33) should explicitly note that the
problematic elements are in red. Maybe make them bold too

Bugfix: Title of "Further Examples" section is surprising; "FileSweep
Examples" might have been better.

Query: is it worth giving each example a name and not just a number?

Bugfix: The copyright notice should use a copyright symbol and not "(C)"
where possible (really!) Here's a free one: © Don't wear it out. ;-)

Bugfix: The sweep namespace MUST use 'ogf' and not 'ggf'. Fix on pp4,
22-24, 26-28, 30-32, 34, 43, 45, 47. (But sweepfunc and file-sweep are
both fine.)