[jsdl-wg] jsdl sweep over values within input files

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 15:20:14 CDT 2008

Meredith, DJ (David) wrote:
> Option 1) ‘out of scope’
[...]
> Option 2) ‘in scope’
[...]

According to what I heard in the session, the option that was most
likely to be favoured was a hybrid between the two. In particular,
though there would be a parameter sweep where this feature was formally
out of scope, there would also be a standard extension to this which
would enable the generation of substituted files.

There are advantages to doing this. For one thing, it is going to be
easier to implement the core parameter sweep correctly as it has "fewer
moving parts". For another thing, this should also mean that the
"extension to an extension" should be small and focussed; it will not
need to say anything about the sweep and value generation functions, and
can instead focus on filename operations and how to name regions of
files for substitution.

This was just my impression, but it was a positive impression and it is
something I think you shouldn't be too down about. We *do* understand
the real requirement for these things (and definitely in clearer focus
than before too, so the meeting was worthwhile).

Donal.