[jsdl-wg] Questions about JSDL specification

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Sep 1 01:09:53 CDT 2006

[Sorry if this is too late. Just catching up with some old email.]

	:
	:

>> 3) I don't undersatnd IndividualNetworkBandwidth: bandwidth to where?
>> Does this refer just to the local NIC? What if there are multiple NICs?

This just refers to the local NIC. JSDL 1.0 focus is on homogeneous
resource descriptions so you can't ask for multiple NICs of different
type. You can't really specify how many NICs should be present either.

Describing network requirements is important and more work is needed.
Many people expressed interested in doing more at one of the sessions a
few GGFs back. This element is just an initial attempt to allow a very
simple description of network requirements.

>> 4) I'm confused how IndividualDiskSpace interacts with the filesystem
>> element. The FileSystem element specifies how much disk space is
>> needed on a particular file system: the IndividualDiskSpace says
>> something about disk space, but not about where the disk space is
>> located. Which disk space is it? What does it mean if I specify a
>> FileSystem and IndividualDiskSpace?

They don't interact. IndividualDiskSpace is meant to describe space that
is not configured and usable as a FileSystem. The use case here is that
you may ask for a certain amount of 'raw' resources (disk space etc)
that you will configure as a separate step before doing something else
with them. You shouldn't need to use this element if all you are doing
is a batch job submission.

>> 5) I don't understand the difference between IndividualCPUCount and
>> TotalCPUCount. Can I think of it as the number of CPUs on a single
>> node, and the total number needed across all nodes? Or does it mean
>> something different?
>
> Consider the jsdl:Individual* and jsdl:Total* elements together with the
> jsdl:ResourceCount element.
> They are used to express a tiled topology. I hope someboody else can
> step in here and give a more detailed description.

I didn't see any followup to this. I can give you more details if you want.

--
Andreas Savva
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd