[jsdl-wg] Process Topology

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Wed Apr 20 00:34:59 CDT 2005

On Apr 20, Andreas Savva loaded a tape reading:
> CPUcount is defined as the number of CPUs you want the resource to have.
> So it is the latter one.

Unfortunately, this answer does not clarify (for me) the point Chris
is asking.  I would think we want to express the number of CPUs
allocated from a resource and a far secondary concern would be the
total number of CPUs in the resource (including the ones not allocated
to us).  By saying "the latter", you are saying it is this total CPUs
including unallocated ones.  Do you really mean that?

I think I can agree with Chris's statement that this is a sufficient
set of terms (spelled out to be unambiguous):

  1. number of CPUs allocated per resource (a range value)

  2. number of allocated resources (a range value)

  3. total number of CPUs allocated to job (a range value)

given that draft 17 shows a multiplicity 0-1 for Resource, I think all
three of these should be given here and left out of the Application
section.  I also think tileSize is redundant with these three, as
Chris suggested.  If we want the fourth:

  4. total number of CPUs in allocated resource including
     unallocated CPUs (idle or allocated to other jobs)

Then we should be blatantly obvious about the difference, e.g.

  jsdl:PerResourceAllocatedCPUs
  jsdl:PerResourceInstalledCPUs
  jsdl:TotalJobAllocatedCPUs

or something like that!

If we were in fact going to allow multiple Resource elements (to
express heterogeneous resource mixes), it would be awkward to put the
total number of CPUs allocated within a Resource element. It would be
better to keep that somewhere else which obviously has "global" scope
within the job definition. In fact, this applies to all "global
metrics" like total RAM, etc.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski