[jsdl-wg] Issues for todays phone conference

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Apr 12 11:08:24 CDT 2005

Karl Czajkowski wrote:

>On Apr 12, Michel Drescher loaded a tape reading:
>

>>10) When/why did HostName change from 0-1 to 0-n? (reverted)
>>

>At GGF-13 and who keeps trying to set it back to 1? :-)

Guilty as charged. It must have been in the last session that I missed.

I am working on  releasing the next version of the spec. and it is
inconsistent in the definition of this element (some places * and some
?). It was not clear which way was intended or why, hence the comment.

>It is 0-n to allow for resource selection of nodes in a parallel
>job. Chris Smith has that use case with LSF and I can endorse it as a
>useful thing for parallel jobs too (whether it is in GRAM today or
>not!).  This goes hand-in-hand with the notion of there being a count
>for the resource element, meaning multiple resources must be allocated
>to match the same element.  The semantics is each resource MUST have
>one of the names in the list. In other words, if there are more
>hostnames listed than resources requested, not all names are utilized,
>or the match predicate for a host is membership of that host's name in
>the list.

Thanks for the explanation, Karl. I'll have to think about it tomorrow
after I get some sleep. (Everything looks better in sunlight. :-)

Andreas