[Interest] OGF Launches Thought Leadership Series

john.ehrig at ogf.org john.ehrig at ogf.org
Mon Jan 21 13:03:48 CST 2008

We are pleased to announce the launch of OGF's new thought leadership series
http://www.ogf.org/TLS/index.php. We are launching this to give thought
leaders in OGF and the greater Grid and distributed computing community the
opportunity to express their ideas, opinions and perspectives. One of the
main goals we have in initiating this series is to stimulate discussion and
provoke lively debate on a broad range of hot topics and issues facing the
grid and distributed computing community.

Wolfgang Gentzsch, Coordinator of the German D-Grid Initiative; Geoffrey Fox
and Marlon Pierce, from the Community Grids Laboratory at Indiana
University; and Ian Foster from Argonne National Lab and University of
Chicago, kick-off the series. Wolfgang's article outlines the Top 10 Rules
for Building a Sustainable Grid in his highly informative and practical
discussion of the real world lessons he has learned in deploying Grids.

Geoffrey and Marlon tackle the hard issues - Too much Computing, Too much
Data and Never too much Simplicity - facing the e-Science community,
specifically and the entire Grid community, in general, as emerging new
computing resources (multicore, cell processors, GPUs, reconfigurable
computing, etc) and alternative approaches to service architectures
(collectively, Web 2.0) change the overall landscape.

Ian Foster's article, "There's Grids in them thar Clouds", reprinted from
his 1/08 blog entry, discusses whether or not "cloud computing" is just a
new name for grid.

OGF welcomes everyone to comment and encourages all thought leaders in the
Grid and distributed computing community to submit articles for this series.
Submitting is easy to do, simply email it to thoughtleadership at ogf.org. You
will receive valuable recognition and visibility as a thought leader and
your article may help, and influence, others in the community. Articles will
also be considered for future OGF event content.

In conjunction with the launch of the thought leadership series, we have
also refreshed the OGF home page www.ogf.org in order to better highlight
the key areas of value that we deliver to the industry, including our
document series, events, and breaking news. Included in this effort is a new
set of pages http://www.ogf.org/EventHighlights/index.php to showcase the
valuable content our attendees produce for each OGF event. We hope you like
the new look and find it easier to use!

Finally, submissions are still being sought for the Special Journal Issue of
Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience for the Open Grid
Forum. The deadline is March 15. Visit
http://www.ogf.org/rotate_headers/rotate_special_issue.php to make a
submission or for additional information.

John Ehrig
Open Grid Forum
Enterprise and Marketing Program Manager
925 275-6677
www.ogf.org