[infod-wg] Minutes from 16 June conference call

Steve Fisher S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 09:52:54 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:37:23AM -0700, Cecile Madsen wrote:

> Attendees: Shailendra, Chris, Dieter, Steve, Stephen, Susan, Vijay, Arjun,
> Susan, Cecile
> Apologies: Abdeslem
>
> Minutes:
>
> We reviewed John's summary/understanding of INFOD specs:
>
> His review is an accurate summary of INFOD specs; his assumptions are
> correct and his comments summarize earlier comments we've had
> on the specs (uniqueness of disseminator, unclear how registry knows
> whom to notify, simplifying the interface section by concentrating on
> artifact
> descriptions, not duplicating operations, etc.)
>
> Discussion on need for subscriber entity; resolution is to describe a
> scenario that pinpoints that need, namely attaching vocabulary to
> subscriber so that consumers can filter on such information.
>
> Discussion on weight of subscription; John/the specs don't position
> it as the first class artifact that it is. Need to work more on this.
> Subscriptions have evolved historically (subject-based, content-based,
> state, etc.) and INFOD should position its subscription on top of the
> chain...
> it can also drive publications...

While trying to do my use case (at last) I wondered where to put the
information which is used to express the interest of a consumer in
some information or potential information. I looked at Cecile's note:

INFOD_resource_creation_scenarios-1.doc

and noticed that all such information is going into the
consumption. There is *no* mention of subscription information.

I think that (some of) our problems will be solved by merging the
consumption and subscription into something which we just call the
subscription. Part of the subscription can be how the data should be
processed. I am sure this will be much easier for people to
understand.

Steve