[INFOD-WG] [InfoD-UT] UT's emergency management plan site

ronny.fehling at oracle.com ronny.fehling at oracle.com
Wed Nov 5 07:49:46 CST 2008

Hairong,

The site is a good example of the current information dissemination problem. Information is available - in static form - describing a couple of events. That's great - if you read it before and memorize it so it's present at time of disaster.
In general, no-one will probably access the web page when the information is most needed. So ideally, you need to push out the information in a detailed manner. There are blast information publications available, but again it's a static list that the consumer needs to maintain himself: http://safety.utk.edu/communications/

Then, there are some special people who need other information:
http://www.pp.utk.edu/BuildingReps.htm

But unless you'll sit down with the emergency staff, you won't be able to understand the complexity of the communication and information dissemination chain. We can talk about this for weeks and work into theory not taking into account what's really needed or talk with the folks who actually need this information dissemination.

I have attached an example of the exception document we did with nasa a while ago. It might give you an understanding of how we started to roll up the problem from the other perspective. Please don't circulate this document.

Ronny