[INFOD-WG] [Fwd: Info-D M.Sc. project]

Dieter Gawlick dieter.gawlick at oracle.com
Wed Jan 24 16:03:27 CST 2007

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Info-D M.Sc. project
Date: 	Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:55:48 -0000
From: 	Dave Berry <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>
To: 	<dieter.gawlick at oracle.com>, <S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk>,
<vdialani at us.ibm.com>, <ronny.fehling at oracle.com>

Dear Dieter, Steve, Vijay and Ronny,

Stephen Davey's parting gift to me on leaving NeSC was a proposal for an
Informatics M.Sc. project to implement part of the InfoD specification.
I'm happy to say that this proposal was approved and I now have a
student assigned to it.  He will spend 3 months this summer working on
the project.

In the meantime, he and I have to flesh out the project plan.  I'm
hoping that we will be able to ask you for advice on key points, as
neither of us have any prior knowledge about the details of the InfoD
specification.

As this is an academic project and not just an implementation exercise,
a key part of the project will be working out how to evaluate the
system.   I would value your suggestions on this point.  It seems to me
that while we could evaluate performance relative to a.n.other messaging
system, the actual transfer of messages is not the focus of InfoD, so
all we would hope for is that our performance would not be degraded by
comparison.  My understanding is that InfoD is more about improved
flexibility, so it would be worth demonstrating some examples that could
not easily be implemented using an alternative system.  Do you have such
examples already?

I would also appreciate pointers to alternative messaging systems with
which to compare the new system.  Would the Globus implementation of
WS-Notification be a useful comparator?  Or should we be looking to
build our InfoD implementation on top of WS-N?

Stephen and I assumed that we will not be able to implement the full
InfoD matching algorithm in a 3-month project.  We suggested to start
with a simple messaging system and a basic registry.  Once the student
has completed that infrastructure, he can start to add some basic
constraints and investigate constraint solving algorithms.

As a background question, do you have a formal treatment of the InfoD
constraint system.  E.g. a specification of the constraint language in
formal logic with an associated decision procedure?

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA                  +44 131 651 4039