[INFOD-WG] Feafures for the Extended Specifications

Dieter Gawlick dieter.gawlick at oracle.com
Wed Aug 15 18:02:08 CDT 2007

I have compiled a list a features that should be of interest for the
extended specifications. This is a start.

I tried to avoid the introduction of any new resources, the INFOD model
is already complex enough. What you will see, however, is the
introduction of additional relations - items 3-5.

A note - especially to Vijay - is is not clear to me if we have to
extend the support for subscriptions. I think all the requirements
stated in Vijay's e-mail can be met if we use this extended setup
(relations) should do the trick.

Here is my list:

   1. *Additional REPLACE operations*: The Replace operation will be
      added for property vocabulary instances and data sources.
   2. *UPDATE operation*: An UPDATE operation will be added for those
      resources for which a REPLACE is specified. The REPLACE operation
      is a special case of the UPDATE operation.
   3. *Association of data sources to secondary publishers: *Secondary
      publishers are intended to provide an integrated view of
      information in data sources associated to various publishers.
   4. *Association between publishers:* Publishers may direct other
      publishers to notify consumers on behalf of them. Publishers who
      do not notify consumers themselves are called *producers*. _(I am
      not sure if we need this)_
   5. *Association between consumers:* Consumers may direct other
      consumers to receive messages on behalf of them. Consumers
      receiving messages are called *recipients*. _(I don't like the
      name and I am not sure if we need this)_
   6. *Policies for the delivery of messages*: Consumers can specify
      when and how messages are delivered to them and using which recipient.
   7. *Operational characteristics of entries*: A set of operational
      characteristics can be specified for various entries.
   8. *Notification with streaming (optional)*: Publishers may send
      messages to consumers in streaming mode to increase the throughput
      of the dissemination.
   9. *Subscriptions to Registry*: The registry will support
      subscriptions. Since there is no agreed upon streaming language
      the registry will inform the consumers whenever a solution set has
      changed.
  10. *Distributed Registries*: Disseminators may have their own local
      registry. These registries may share selected information through
      notification.

Dieter
--

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Dieter Gawlick | Architect | 650.506.8706