[infod-wg] INFOD conference call on Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 8 am PDT

Susan Malaika malaika at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 25 16:22:01 CDT 2006

We should also review the feedback so far from the OASIS WSN group in the
INFOD specification.  I attach an item that was posted to the WSN mailing
list today

The next WSN call is at 9am pacific on Monday 31st July 2006

Toll Free Access Number: 866-639-4730
Toll Access Number: 574-948-0377
Participant PIN: 4474535

Interactive web-chat:

http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/wsn

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Matthew I Roberts <matt.roberts at uk.ibm.com>
07/25/2006 12:40 PM

wsn at lists.oasis-open.org
cc

Subject
[wsn] Initial review of INFOD specification

All,

Please find attached a copy of the INFOD specification that I volunteered
to take a look at on last week's WSN call. I have included some comments
in the document that highlight my thoughts/concerns etc.

I must qualify my review with two caveats - firstly I was pressed for time
(so I apologize if I have missed things I would normally have picked up)
and secondly I'm not sure I was able to give my efforts sufficient time to
get a full and detailed view of what the specification is trying to
achieve. This may mean that I have misinterpretted things and lead my
comments down a blind alley.

As far as I can tell, INFOD is a specification which is aimed at providing
a mechanism for creating the association between a producer of events, and
a consumer in some way which can be more advanced than the standard WSN
pattern. In particular there is a INFO Registry service to which all
producers and consumers register, and in which an INFOD subscription is
created (different to a WSN subscription) which indicates that types of
messages that consumers wish to receive. The INFOD Registry is then
responsible for matching subscriptions to the available publishers, and
then invoking an operation on the publisher to indicate the set of
consumers to which it should send notifications. (The Registry is a bit
like a NotificationBroker, but notifications flow directly from producer
to consumer rather than through the broker).

The only item from WSN that seems to be used in the Notify operation
(mainly covered in section 3 of the INFO doc attached). My primary concern
is whether the INFOD folks are intending to take a copy of the Notify
operation, or use the one we define in WSN. There are several areas in the
document (notably the Schema document in 5.10 and parts of 3.1.1) where
they seem to copy the Notify operation into an INFOD namespace, which
strikes me as a pretty weak form of reuse (ie regular WSN apps wouldn't be
able to invoke this new variant of Notify because of the different
namespace). They also define a new WSA Action URI to be used when invoking
this Notify operation, which is a violation of the WSN spec (if they are
trying to reuse rather than copy).

I have attached comments in the document below that highlight the specific
areas that I have identified - I think is would still be very useful for
someone from INFOD to present to the WSN committee to give some more
background on how this will be used and clear up any misconceptions I may
have stumbled into!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Roberts
IBM WebSphere Messaging Design and Development
Hursley Park, England. +44 1962 815444
matt.roberts at uk.ibm.com
MP 211 / DE3H22

Dieter Gawlick <dieter.gawlick at oracle.com>
Sent by: owner-infod-wg at ggf.org
07/25/2006 05:10 PM

infod-wg at ggf.org
cc

Subject
[infod-wg] INFOD conference call on Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 8 am PDT

You are invited to join the next INFOD conference call on Thursday, July
27 2006 @ 8 am PDT
        * Telephone numbers
           US/Canada:  +1-650-607-2253 , +1-888-967-2253
           APAC:  +61 2 8817 6100 , 1 800 222 712,
                    +800 9491 2777 (Australia toll-free)
           EMEA: +44 118 924 9000
        * Conference Id: 750239
        * Password: Brussels - 27877357
Agenda:
Review of Current Actions
Review of feedback from GFSG - if INFOD Base Specifications were on the
agenda
Issues with Use Case document
Planing for GGF18
Further discussion regarding Level 1 and Level 2 specifications
If you are unable to attend the conference call please send comments to
the INFOD mailing list.

Dieter