[infod-wg] Execution mode

Fisher, SM (Steve) S.M.Fisher at rl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 07:21:18 CDT 2006

There are a number of smll things which we might be able to clear up by
e-mail - I will introduce each one as a separate e-mail to make replying
easier:

We agreed that it should not be possible to make the system
inconsistent. Currently section 2.2.4 says:

/wsinfod:ExecutionMode

An optional parameter indicating the mode of execution of the drop
request. Possible values are:

	"IF UNUSED"	The drop request will execute only if the entity
is unused and unreferenced

	"DISABLE NEW REFERENCES"	No new references are possible
for the entity. The entity will dropped when the last reference to this
entity is gone

	"FORCE"	The drop request will execute immediately and orphan any
references to the entity

If this parameter is not specified, the default value "IF UNUSED" will
be used.

This seems fine except that I think that FORCE should cause any entry in
the registry referencing the object to be dropped. This is of course
recursive. If we don't do this we allow an inconsistent state to be
exposed. I have currently described it incorreclty in chapter 1 as I
have only considered the "IF UNUSED" case.

Can we agree on this meaning of "FORCE"?

Steve