[infod-wg] Minutes from 12 May conference call

Chris Kantarjiev chris.kantarjiev at oracle.com
Thu May 12 19:49:28 CDT 2005

Abdeslem, Steve, Susan, Dieter, Vijay, Cecile, Chris (minutes)

Since GGF14 starts Monday evening instead of the typical Sunday,
we will push our F2F date to start Saturday. Susan & Chris will
figure out which venue to use. The main focus of the F2F
is to review/work on the use cases, we'll extend to Monday
if necessary.

We'll only try to schedule one session for GGF14. Please send
email to Susan with things that shouldn't conflict...

Abdeslem led a discussion around using the WSRF framework
to describe our standard. Starting with WS Resource Properties,
which are used to describe the state of a resource - things
like creation time, etc. This is done with a resource property
document in the service description... any instance
which implements a port type then uses them and can operate on them.

These documents are XML, so we can use XPATH to query them. There
are getters, setters, update/delete/insert.

We will need to update Cecile's latest interface spec to use these
resource properties and operators. But our query semantics
might be different than those of WSRF; so we'll have to be
careful about how we structure the registry to allow it.

What about operational characteristics? Security, lifetime, history of?
Not currently in the spec - argued to be orthogonal.

WS-ResourceLifetime is a specification that allows us to
destroy resources. Does this have any sort of versioning? Not
obviously - this could be used for planned updates? There
is no scheduling component to this specification - it is about
handling instances, not any evolutionary aspects of a service.
We will still have to have our own creation mechanisms.

Notifications of resource destruction are done with WS-BaseNotification...

(And it seems that we really should align our base INFOD partition
to be more aligned with WS-BaseNotification.)

We should probably ignore the OGSA Basic Profile for now - in part
because it is referring to old versions of the WS-RF specs.

We should start going through the registry and marking the resources
that *can* be WS-Resource as a WS-Resource... Abdeslem and Cecile
will start down this path.

After much discussion about using WSDM to stop/start our services,
we decide that we agree that starting/stopping our service is out
of scope - so we'll add it to non-goals.

Use cases have been checked in, but not significantly changed.

Cecile has done a fair bit of work has been done to re-organize the spec.
Section 3 has been much expanded. Steve would like to get a more
detailed example from one of the simple use cases - in order to
get a list of what entries appear in the registry.

Next phone call in a week.