[infod-wg] Issue 1

Djaoui, A (Abdeslem) A.Djaoui at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 09:09:07 CDT 2005

>What is infod scope wrt publishers and when infod influences messages and when it doesn't?
>
>       the stages involved are creation of messages (which infod can influence), making
>      messages available for transmission, and actual dissemination of messages. We end
>        up discussing scope of infod over and over again, either when asking if infod
>        publishers may publish without subscriptions, or infod publishers may support
>        the equivalent of a dpublish, etc.  So what is needed is clear statement on scope
>        of infod as it relates to the infod influence on message lifetime.
>        - description of item in Chicago f2f chat section 10:10:49 on 6/27
>        - action item is to add description in Ch1 of specs to hopefully clarify scope.
[Djaoui, A (Abdeslem)]

A publisher is an entity that creates messages. There are three stages involved in the creation of a messages before it is distributed to consumers

*	detection of an event of interest
*	Creation of an appropriate message
*	making that message ready for distribution

The publisher may control the first two stages or, if it is a web service, it may allow other entities (subscribers) to specify at run time what an event is and what messages to create. These advanced capabilities are specific to InfoD and provide more fine-grained control on what gets published, in a dynamic way.
For stage three, the publisher either

*	takes on the duty of distributing messages to relevant consumers. In this case stages 2 and 3 are the same. or
*	pushes those messages to a Disseminator (this is stage 3) that will distribute them to relevant consumers on its behalf.

A publisher that also distributes messages, may obtain the list of consumers through an out of band mechanism or by querying the InfoDregistry. If the publisher wishes to be discovered by potential subscribers it must register itself in the InfoDregistry. If it wishes to be notified about changes to relevant consumers and subscribers, it needs to be a web services and subscribe for notifications with the InfoDregistry.

Abdeselm.

PS: I tried to check what is in "Chicago f2f chat section 10:10:49 on 6/27 " but don't seem to have a record of it!