[infod-wg] notes on the INFOD spec

Stephen Davey sdavey at nesc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 07:29:58 CST 2005

Hi there,

While I was doing my use case and sequence diagrams there were a few
things that I was unsure about or didn't understand in the INFOD spec:

1.	How do you find/list/discover vocabularies already in the INFOD
Registry? Is it by using GetMData?
2.	I got a bit confused about the difference between user property
vocabs and user data vocabs and the sentence
	"/vocab:Type   Required. One of 2 values:
'INFOD_Property_Vocabulary' or 'INFOD_User_Vocabulary'." mentioned in
section 3.6.1.  Should the type INFOD_User_Vocabulary be replaced by
INFOD_Data_Vocabulary?
3.	Perhaps in section 2 you should describe *why* you need to
distinguish between property & data vocabs.
4.	Also in section 2 (at the top of page 7) you say "INFOD
vocabularies are XML schema", but then you say user data vocabs can be
non-XML. When you register a vocabulary do you need identify that it is
non-XML?
5.	When do you need to create vocab instances? Is this when you
want to populate your inventory?
6.	Can a subscriber (or a publisher) add a consumer to the INFOD
Registry?
7.	How do you specify the consumers for a particular subscription?
Is this where the entity associations make an appearance?
8.	There is a typo in the first paragraph of section 3.7.1. It
keeps mentioning user data vocabs, whereas it should talk about
associations between an INFOD entity and other INFOD entities.

I wonder if some sort of generic example (perhaps as an appendix)  might
be useful in order to describe how all the bits can fit together and in
what order you would typically do things e.g. create vocabs, define
publishers & subscribers, add consumers, etc. This might become apparent
to people if they also read the use case document, but they might not
want to go off to another big document to try to find the info.

I had the following steps in my use case and I would have thought that
they would re-occur quite commonly:

1.       Create vocabularies.

2.       Register the vocabularies with the INFOD Registry.

3.       Add Publishers (with a policy defined to ensure that it is
notified if any new associations are added that relate to subscriptions
and consumers).

4.       Add Subscribers to the INFOD Registry.

5.       Add Consumers, identifying their roles and characteristics.

6.       Add Subscriptions to the INFOD Registry.

7.       Create Associations between the Subscription entities and the
Consumer entities. (Publisher will be informed that this new association
has been created.)

Cheers,  Stephen.

Stephen Davey,  NextGrid Software Architect,

National e-Science Centre,

15 South College St., Edinburgh, EH8 9AA, UK

Tel: +44 131 6 509820