[infod-wg] minutes from Dec 2 Teleconference

Chris Kantarjiev chris.kantarjiev at oracle.com
Mon Dec 13 14:03:05 CST 2004

Attending:
Dieter
Steve
Abdeslem
Vijay
Susan
Cecile
Chris (minutes)

- Susan sent notes about the key points of infod and how it relates to wsn:

      * Basics
            o Producers determine the consumer of each message by
specifying a distribution list. This is idea is borrowed from the e-mail
model, the following bullets will show that INFOD significantly extends
the e-mail model
            o The distribution can be based on a list of names, a
selection derived from one or more registries, and a mix thereof.
Entries from the registries are selected using a query language.
            o If the registry contains subscriptions, producers may use
these subscriptions to determine the consumers. Producers may select
only based on subscriptions or use subscriptions in conjunction with
other information when (publish/subscribe as well as mutual filtering)
            o Producers can adjust the content of each message to each
consumer, based on consumer and/or producer interest and/or policies
            o Producers may determine on a message basis which
subscription is honored. This provide the equivalent of row level security.
            o Producers may use any delivery mechanisms that is available
to each consumer. Different delivery mechanisms may be used for
different consumers even for the same message.
            o A topic, bus, and/or messaging system can act as producer
and/or consumer. This allows the represent the world of JMS and other
messaging systems.
      * There are three types of publications
            o Unconditional publications - a message is published
regardless of the interest of consumers (no impact of consumers on
publication - INFO and WSN)
            o Demand based publication - a message is only published if
there is interest (consumers determine if an instance of a publication
is worth to be publish - INFO and WSN)
                  + The evaluation of subscriptions happens before a
message is created
                  + The evaluation of the subscriptions happens after a
message has been created.
            o Subscription based publication - the creation of messages
is the result of subscriptions (This is by far the most flexible way to
create publications - INFOD only)
      * Discovery of producers and consumers is important to spell out.
It is a consequence of the function described in the first top bullet. I
have nothing to add to Susan's bullets.
      * The next paragraph discuss propagation and its operational
characteristics. I will edit this once we have discussed the subject.

still need to discuss (at another time) the use of registries in infod

- OGSA thinks "information services" has no activity in GGF - what
    gives?  We think INFOD is relevant, in particular, INFOD is
"information delivery".
    How do we best get more involved/recognized in OGSA? A. will try
    to get the GGF13 OGSA draft to be consistent with INFOD.

- F2F in Redwood Shores Jan 13/14 to go over the spec doc in detail.

Next call in two weeks, 12/16.