[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Sep 14 09:58:26 PDT 2005

Weekly_September_14.txt
The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, September 14, 2005 PT1
******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971********

PT1A

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

We are trying an experiment this month to provide shorter Newsletter files.
PT1 of the Newsletter will be split into to sections starting and ending at
the points below where you will see this marker"

"***BREAK FOR PT1A AND PT1B***"

You should receive THREE versions of PT1 today:  PT1, PT1A, and PT1B.

Please send your comments on this.

*

HOT REQUESTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

WANTED!

>>>   !!!People to help us collect ALL public domain eBooks!!!  <<<

*

Wanted:  People who are involved in conversations on Slashdot, Salon, etc.

*

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests, New Sites and Announcements

***PT1A is above, PT1B is below.***

*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report
*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report
*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
    8 New From PG Australia [Australian, Canadian Copyright Etc.]
   51 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright

***PT1B is above, PT1A is below.***

*Headline News from Edupage, etc.
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones*

                     17,130 eBooks As Of Today!!!
                     [Includes Australian eBooks]

                  We Are 85% of the Way to 20,000!!!

               14,068 New eBooks Since The Start Of 2001

              That's 250+ eBooks per Month for ~56 Months

                 We Have Produced 2174 eBooks in 2005!!!

                        2,826 to go to 20,000!!!

                  7,439 from Distributed Proofreaders

                481 From Project Gutenberg of Australia

     We Have Now Averaged ~502 eBooks Per Year Since July 4th, 1971

            We Averaged ~339 eBooks Per Month In 2004

          We Are Averaging ~264 books Per Month This Year

           We Are Averaging ~62 eBooks Per Week This Year

                            24 This Week

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~32 months, from 2002 to 2005 for our last 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~1.75 years from Oct. 2003 to Aug. 2005 from 10,000 to 17,000

*

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.  Note well
that PT1 is now being send as PT1A and PT1B.

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

***BREAK FOR PT1A AND PT1B***

Weekly_September_14.txt
The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, September 14, 2005 PT1
******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971********

PT1B

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

We are trying an experiment this month to provide shorter Newsletter files.
PT1 of the Newsletter will be split into to sections starting and ending at
the points below where you will see this marker"

"***BREAK FOR PT1A AND PT1B***"

Please send your comments on this.

***Continuing Requests New Sites and Announcements

*

We have been invited to peruse the various eBook collections
of the Internet Archive for potential Project Gutenberg eBooks.

http://www.archive.org

Don't worry, many of the numbers listed are out of date,
but you should get all the files when you pass through
to the original sites.

Click on "texts" to get started, feel free to pick up any
of the eBooks you would like to work on.

Many Thanks To Brewster Kahle and the Internet Archive!

*

Please visit and test our newest site:

"PROJECT GUTENBERG EUROPE"

http://pge.rastko.net [Project Gutenberg Europe]
http://dp.rastko.net [Distributed Proofreaders Europe]

*

There is a new experimental online reader available. Start from any
bibliographic record page, e.g.

    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

Basically this paginates the .txt file and remembers your last position
in a cookie so you can later resume reading where you left off.

Please test it. It should work with any book that has a text file
where the encoding is known.

*

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD and DVD there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

***

Please checkout the various Project Gutenberg FAQs, etc. at:

http://www.gutenberg.org/about

*

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 15 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.
We have regular need for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

In the first 08.25 months of this year, we produced 2174 new eBooks.

It took us from July 1971 to May 2000 to produce our first 2174 eBooks!

            That's 35 WEEKS as Compared to ~29 Years!!!

                  24   New eBooks This Week
                  59   New eBooks Last Week
                  24   New eBooks This Month [Sep]

                ~264   Average Per Month in 2005
                 336   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                2174   New eBooks in 2005
                4049   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               14068   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 55.75 Months!
                         Over 250 books per month!

              17,130  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
              13,801   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               3,329   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 481   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia
                       [This does NOT include PGAu eBooks posted
                       at the U.S. site:  www.gutenberg.org ]

*

PROJECT GUTENBERG DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS UPDATE:

Since starting production in October 2000,
Distributed Proofreaders has contributed
7,439 eBooks to Project Gutenberg.

For more complete DP statistics, visit:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/stats/stats_central.php

*

Check out our website at www.gutenberg.org, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:

http://www.gutenberg.org/howto/subscribe-howto
or
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report

Please note the addition of the Internet Archive
marked with <<< below.

PGCC's current eBook and eDocument Collections listings
of 18 collections. . .with this week's listing as:

Alex-Wire Tap Collection,           2,036 HTML eBook Files
Black Mask Collection,             12,000 HTML eBook Files
The Coradella Bookshelf Collection,   141 eBook Files
DjVu Collection,                      272 PDF and DJVU eBook Files
eBooks at Adelaide Collection,        27,709 eBook Files
Himalayan Academy,                  3,400 HTML eBook Files
Internet Archive                  ~30,000 eBook Files [In Progress]  <<<
Literal Systems Collection,            68 MP3 eBook Files
Logos Group Collection,           ~34,000 TXT eBook Files
Poet's Corner Poetry Collection,    6,700 Poetry Files
Project Gutenberg Collection,      15,035 eBook Files
PGCC Chinese eBook Collection       ~300 eBook files   <<< Note Name Change
Renaisscance Editions Collection,     561 HTML eBook Files
Swami Center Collection,               78 HTML eBook Files
Tony Kline Collection,                223 HTML eBook Files
Widger Library,                     2,600 HTML eBook Files
CIA's Electronic Reading Room,      2,019 Reference Files
=======Grand Total Files=========~137,142 Total Files=====

Average Size of the Collections     8,067.18 Total Files

These eBooks are catalogued as per the instructions of
their donors:  some are one file per book; some have a
file for each chapter; and some even have a file for a
single page or poem. . .or are overcounted for reasons
I have not mentioned. . .each of which could cause the
overcounting or duplication of numbers.

If we presume 2 out of 3 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                   ~45,714 Unique eBooks

If we presume 3 out of 4 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                   ~34,286 Unique eBooks

***

Please also note that over 23,000 eBooks are listed via
The Online Books Page, of which over 5,300 are from PG.
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

In addition:  The Internet Public Library had a similar
listing which is now in limbo.  If anyone knows what is
happening with the IPL, please let us know.  Inquiries,
made months ago, and again recently, have not turned up
any current information.

You can try a new IPL service at:

http://www.ipl.org/div/subject/browse/hum60.60.00/

It would appear that The Internet Public Library ended
its first incarnation with about 22,284 entries, which
has now been surpassed by the Online Books Page.

Still looking for more Internet Public Library info.

***

Today Is Day #252 of 2005
This Completes Week #35 and Month #08.25  [364 days this year]
   112 Days/17 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
2,826 Books To Go To #20,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    64   Weekly Average in 2005
    78   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner.
[Note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned.]  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
as well as in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.org":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.org&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 33 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.org

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

*Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.org/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Statistical Review

In the 35 weeks of this year, we have produced 2174 new eBooks.
It took us from 7/71 to 5/00 to produce our FIRST 2174 eBooks!!!

          That's 35 WEEKS as Compared to ~29 YEARS!!!

FLASHBACK!

Here's a sample of what books we were doing around eBook #2064

Mon Year Title and Author                                  [filename.ext] ###
A "C" Following The eText # Indicates That This eText Is Under Copyright

[Note:  books without month and year entries have been reposted]

Jun 2000 The Iliad, by Homer, translated by Samuel Butler  [iliadxxx.xxx] 2199
May 2000 Stories from Pentamerone, by Giambattista Basile  [pntmnxxx.xxx] 2198
May 2000 The Gambler, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky[Dostoyevsky #2][gamblxxx.xxx] 2197
   [Tr.: C.J. Hogarth]
May 2000 An Iceland Fisherman, by Pierre Loti              [icfshxxx.xxx] 2196
   [Tr.: M. Jules Cambon]

May 2000 The Master of Mrs. Chilvers by Jerome K. Jerome 19[mschlxxx.xxx] 2195
May 2000 Mauprat, by George Sand [Tr.: Stanley Young]    #1[muprtxxx.xxx] 2194
   [Author AKA:  Lucile Amandine Aurore Dupin; Armentine Lucile Aurore
    Dupin, later Dudevant]  (See also #138)
May 2000 A Ward of the Golden Gate, by Bret Harte[Harte #6][wotggxxx.xxx] 2193
May 2000 The Dark Flower, by John Galsworthy               [dkflrxxx.xxx] 2192
May 2000 Boy Scouts in Mexico, by G. Harvey Ralphson       [bsimxxxx.xxx] 2191

May 2000 Isabella von Aegypten, by Ludwig Achim von Arnim  [?isblxxx.xxx] 2190
   [Language: German]
May 2000 Der Gwissenswurm, by Ludwig Anzengruber [German]  [?gwssxxx.xxx] 2189
   [Language: German]

May 2000 Aufzeichnungen des Malte Laurids Brigge, by Rilke [?maltxxx.xxx] 2188