[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Mar 16 10:02:48 PST 2005

GWeekly_March_16.txt
*The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, March 16, 2005  PT1*
*******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971******

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

HEADLINE NEWS!

THE MAGNA CARTA IS DEAD!  LONG LIVE ANTI-TERRORISM!

The Magna Carta, the foundation of democracy and human rights,
for about 800 years, and chosen as Project Gutenberg's 10,000th
eBook selection, has just been voided by Parliament in London.

Civil rights expressly granted now by over 100 governments around
the world have just now been overthrown by their founding country
in an election year bid by various parties and coalitions of the
U. K. Parliament, and many predict that such rights will now
continue to disappear in what is generally known as "domino effect."

Countries that previously condemed and outlawed such powers on
the general principles of freedom and democracy became terrorist
regimes by their own definitions after 9/11, and these practices
were finally ruled as illegal as a three judge panel had finally
ruled three months ago that that eight foreign terror suspects
has been illegally imprisoned in violation of human rights laws.

However, with a Parliamentary election expected in two months,
both the Conservative and Labour parties wanted to appear very
tough on terrorism, even to the point of being publicly chastised
for debasing the very foundations of their country to do so.

Britain's lower house passed just such a bill four times, and it
was defeated four times in the upper house in marathon sessions
that eventually lasted well over 24 hours.

However, in the end, when all was said and done, the civil rights
of humanity were dealt a severe blow by the very country who made
them in the Magna Carta nearly 800 years ago.

After years in prison without being charged, these eight are now
still under arrest, though now it is a "house arrest" under which
they are confined from 7PM to 7AM and report to the government any
time they enter or leave the house, even though they had already
been forced to wear electronic monitor tags that tell goverment
agents where they are at any given moment.

In addition, these eight are not allowed at any gatherings other
than standard prayers at their mosques, or to have any contact
with the outside world from home via cell phones, the Internet, etc.

No visitors are allowed other than lawyers, doctors, children, etc.,
other than someone providing goods or services.  Only one bank account
is allowed per person, to be severely monitored by the government.

Even the most staunch supporters of giving away the public's freedom
to do battle with terrorism fear that this is all just electioneering
on the parts of those passing this law, as it would appear prisoners
were being held without rights long before 9/11, just not with quite
so much publicity.  [The Irish Republicans, for example.]

There are serious questions as to how long such a law can remain in
existence in a democracy, and how long a democracy can remain under
such law.

This is one issue that is going to come back to haunt its authors.

*

HOT REQUESTS

Darwin!!!

Would anyone like to work on reproofing our Darwin collection
and creating a compilation file as requested by our readers.

*

Project Gutenberg of Canada needs your help!

Please email:

pgcanada at lists.pglaf.org

To subscribe to the pgcanada list, please visit:

*

v0.2 version of PodReader is out, and it interfaces to PG.  This allows
users to browse the catalog on their Desktop, pick a book, and have it
downloaded to their iPod in the correct format...this is a good plus for
PG users since it makes it a lot easier to get to PG documents.

http://homepage.mac.com/ptwobrussell/podreader.html

*

We have been invited to peruse the various eBook collections
of the Internet Archive for potential Project Gutenberg eBooks.

http://www.archive.org

Don't worry, many of the numbers listed are out of date,
but you should get all the files when you pass through
to the original sites.

Click on "texts" to get started, feel free to pick up any
of the eBooks you would like to work on.

Many Thanks To Brewster Kahle and the Internet Archive!

*

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report
*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report
*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
    2 New From PG Australia [Australian, Canadian Copyright Etc.]
   85 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones

                     15,767 eBooks As Of Today!!!

               12,705 New eBooks Since The Start Of 2001

                  We Have Produced 811 eBooks in 2005

              We Are ~57% of the Way from 10,000 to 20,000

              We are ~15% of the Way from 15,000 to 20,000

                         4,233 to go to 20,000!!!

     We have now averaged ~468 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971

           We Averaged About 339 eBooks Per Month In 2004

        We Are Averaging About 322 books Per Month This Year

         We Are Averaging About 81 eBooks Per Week This Year

                              87 This Week
                              68 Last Week [corrected from 66]

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~32 months, from 2002 to 2005 for our last 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~1.25 years from Oct. 2003 to Jan. 2005 from 10,000 to 15,000

*

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

***

***Continuing Requests New Sites and Announcements

"[Beta-testing continues on bowerbird's viewer-app, "give,"
designed to turn plain-ASCII e-texts into full-on e-books.
Features include an automatic table-of-contents menu,
italics/bold, automatic hotlinks, big and bold headers,
illustrations!, and the usual ability to pick font/size/colors.
Please help shape the future of this viewer for your e-texts!
to participate, send e-mail to:  zml_talk at yahoogroups.com  ]"

*

REQUEST FOR RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR

We are trying to start up a Project Gutenberg Russian Team,
and we need someone to translate simple email messages from
members of Project Gutenberg who want to provide a service
to the Russian Team, but who do not know Russian. . .these
people will be helping with scanning, finding books, etc.
The messages will be in MS Word's .doc format in Cyrillic,
we need them translated into English, also in a .doc file.
Thanks!!!     Contact Jared Buck  <JBuck814366460 at aol.com>

*

Please visit and test our newest site:

www.pgcc.net
[also available as  www.gutenberg.us and www.gutenberg.cc]

The Project Gutenberg Consortia Center [PGCC]

Please let us know of any eBook collections that
would be suitable for inclusion:  public domain
or copyrighted, for which we must ask permission.
[or listed as copyrighted with permission]

You should see some significant changes this week.

*

There is a new experimental online reader available. Start from any
bibliographic record page, e.g.

    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

Basically this paginates the .txt file and remembers your last position
in a cookie so you can later resume reading where you left off.

Please test it. It should work with any book that has a text file
where the encoding is known.

*

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD and DVD there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

***

Please checkout the various Project Gutenberg FAQs, etc. at:

http://www.gutenberg.org/about

*

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 15 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.
We have regular need for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

     In the first 02.50 months of this year, we produced 811 new eBooks.

It took us from July 1971 to June 1996 to produce our first 811 eBooks!

               That's 10 WEEKS as Compared to ~25 Years!

                  87   New eBooks This Week
                  68   New eBooks Last Week
                 155   New eBooks This Month [Mar]

                 324   Average Per Month in 2005
                 336   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                 811   New eBooks in 2005
                4049   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               12705   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 50.50 Months!
                         About 252 books per month

              15,767  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
              11,912   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               3,855   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 425   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

*

PROJECT GUTENBERG DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS UPDATE:

For more complete DP statistics, visit:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/stats/stats_central.php

Here is a snapshot from today:

Yesterday's Goal: 6,150 pages
Yesterday's Total: 6,804 pages

Completed Projects:

Apr 2004 -  277
May 2004 -  236
Jun 2004 -  232
Jul 2004 -  233
Aug 2004 -  220
Sep 2004 -  182
Oct 2004 -  263
Nov 2004 -  280
Dec 2004 -  287
Jan 2005 -  248
Feb 2005 -  323
Mar 2005 -  152

[We need a volunteer to do the figures George was compiling
if those are to be continued.  We can help you get started.]

*

Check out our website at www.gutenberg.org, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:

http://www.gutenberg.org/howto/subscribe-howto
or
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report

Please note the addition of the Internet Archive
marked with <<< below.

PGCC's current eBook and eDocument Collections listings
of 18 collections. . .with this week's listing as:

Alex-Wire Tap Collection,           2,036 HTML eBook Files
Black Mask Collection,             12,000 HTML eBook Files
The Coradella Bookshelf Collection,   141 eBook Files
DjVu Collection,                      272 PDF and DJVU eBook Files
eBooks at Adelaide Collection,        27,709 eBook Files
Himalayan Academy,                  3,400 HTML eBook Files
Internet Archive                  ~30,000 eBook Files [In Progress]  <<<
Literal Systems Collection,            68 MP3 eBook Files
Logos Group Collection,           ~34,000 TXT eBook Files
Poet's Corner Poetry Collection,    6,700 Poetry Files
Project Gutenberg Collection,      15,035 eBook Files
PGCC Chinese eBook Collection       ~300 eBook files   <<< Note Name Change
Renaisscance Editions Collection,     561 HTML eBook Files
Swami Center Collection,               78 HTML eBook Files
Tony Kline Collection,                223 HTML eBook Files
Widger Library,                     2,600 HTML eBook Files
CIA's Electronic Reading Room,      2,019 Reference Files
=======Grand Total Files=========~137,142 Total Files=====

Average Size of the Collections     8,067.18 Total Files

These eBooks are catalogued as per the instructions of
their donors:  some are one file per book; some have a
file for each chapter; and some even have a file for a
single page or poem. . .or are overcounted for reasons
I have not mentioned. . .each of which could cause the
overcounting or duplication of numbers.

If we presume 2 out of 3 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                   ~45,714 Unique eBooks

If we presume 3 out of 4 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                   ~34,286 Unique eBooks

***

Today Is Day #70 of 2005
This Completes Week #10 and Month #02.50  [364 days this year]
   294 Days/46 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
4,233 Books To Go To #20,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    81   Weekly Average in 2005
    78   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner.
[Note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned.]  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
as well as in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.org":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.org&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 33 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.org

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

*Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.org/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Statistical Review

In the 10 weeks of this year, we have produced 809 new eBooks.
It took us from 7/71 to 02/97 to produce our FIRST 809 eBooks!!!

          That's 10 WEEKS as Compared to ~25 YEARS!!!

FLASHBACK!

Here's a sample of what books we were doing around eBook #809

Mon Year Title and Author                                  [filename.ext] ###
A "C" Following The eText # Indicates That This eText Is Under Copyright

Feb 1997 Speeches: Literary & Social by Charles Dickens[20][dslasxxx.xxx]  824
Feb 1997 The Life of St. Declan of Ardmore                 [stdecxxx.xxx]  823
Feb 1997 The Tarn of Eternity, by Frank Tymon              [etarnxxx.xxx]  822C
Feb 1997 Dombey and Son, by Charles Dickens [Dickens # 19] [dombyxxx.xxx]  821

Feb 1997 Edison, His Life and Inventions, by Dyer & Martin [ehlaixxx.xxx]  820
Feb 1997 The History of the Telephone, by Herbert N. Casson[thottxxx.xxx]  819
Feb 1997 The Aeroplane Speaks, by H. Barber [R.F. Corps]   [arspkxxx.xxx]  818
Feb 1997 The Jargon File, 4.0.0, by various editors        [jarg400x.xxx]  817

Feb 1997 Democracy In America, Alexis de Toqueville Vol 2  [2dinaxxx.xxx]  816
Feb 1997 Democracy In America, Alexis de Toqueville Vol 1  [1dinaxxx.xxx]  815
Feb 1997 Hunting Sketches, by Anthony Trollope [Trollope#2][hntskxxx.xxx]  814
Feb 1997 Reminiscences of Tolstoy, by Ilya Tolstoy[his son][rtlstxxx.xxx]  813

Feb 1997 Catalan's Constant to 1.5M Places [see#15][math18][ctcstxxa.xxx]  812
Feb 1997 Dr. Faustus, by Christopher Marlowe, Newer Edition[drfstaxx.xxx]  811
   [Title: The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus; From the Quarto of 1616]
   [Ed: Alexander Dyce]
Feb 1997 George Silverman's Explanation/Charles Dickens[18][gsilxxxx.xxx]  810
Feb 1997 Holiday Romance, by Charles Dickens [Dickens #17] [hldrmxxx.xxx]  809

Feb 1997 The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan  [G#2] [cpogsxxx.xxx]  808
Feb 1997 Hunted Down, by Charles Dickens   [Dickens #16]   [hntdnxxx.xxx]  807
Feb 1997 Philoktetes, by Sophocles, Trans. Gregory McNamee [phlokxxx.xxx]  806
Feb 1997 This Side of Paradise, by F. Scott Fitzgerald [#1][tsparxxx.xxx]  805

Feb 1997 A Sentimental Journey, by Laurence Sterne         [senjrxxx.xxx]  804

[The Following eBooks Were The First Project Gutebnerg eBooks In French]

Feb 1997 La Duchesse de Palliano, by Stendhal[in French]#6][8plnoxxx.xxx]  803
Feb 1997 Vittoria Accoramboni, by Stendhal [in French]  #5][8vtraxxx.xxx]  802
Feb 1997 Les Cenci by Stendhal[Marie-Henri Beyle][French#4][8cncixxx.xxx]  801

Jan 1997 Tour Du Mond 80 Jours [in French] by Jules Verne#5[?80jrxxx.xxx]  800
Jan 1997 De La Terre a La Lune [in French] by Jules Verne#4[?lunexxx.xxx]  799
Jan 1997 Le Rouge et Le Noir, by Stendhal  [in French]   #3[8rougxxx.xxx]  798
Jan 1997 L'Abbesse de Castro etc, by Stendhal[in French] #2[8castxxx.xxx]  797
Jan 1997 La Chartreuse de Parme, Stendhal        [French#1][?parmxxx.xxx]  796

*

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

With 15,767 eBooks online as of March 16, 2005 it now takes an average
of ~1% of the world gaining a nominal value of ~$.99 from each book.
1% of the world population is 64,247,806 x 15,765 x $.99 = $1+ trillion

With 15,767 eBooks online as of March 16, 2005 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.63 from each book,
This "cost" is down from about $.84 when we had 11,912 eBooks a year ago.
100 million readers is only ~1.5% of the world's population!

At 15,767 eBooks in 33 Years and 08.50 Months We Averaged
      ~468 Per Year
        39.0 Per Month
         1.28 Per Day

At 811 eBooks Done In The 70 Days Of 2005 We Averaged
      11.6 Per Day
      81 Per Week
     322 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 5th was
the first Wednesday of 2005, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2004 and began the production year of 2005 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

***

*Headline News from Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

CHICAGO LOOKS AT CITY-WIDE WI-FI
Officials in Chicago have authorized a study of the feasibility of a
city-wide wireless network, despite a bill in the state legislature
that would ban municipalities from acting as utilities for such
services. Reportedly at the urging of commercial broadband providers,
State Sen. Steven Rauschenberger introduced a bill that would forbid
cities from either offering broadband service or "reselling" such
service to a company that would then manage it. Alderman Edward Burke
said he would introduce legislation that would give the city the right
to install a broadband wireless network before the state could pass the
law that would prevent it. Christopher O'Brien, chief information
officer for Chicago, said a city-wide network would likely consist of
about 7,500 antennas on light poles and would cost more than $18
million. One option, said O'Brien, would be to enter into an agreement
with a company that would install and maintain the network and would
pay the city rent for the use of the light poles.
Federal Computer Week, 14 March 2005
http://www.fcw.com/article88275

SCHOOLS CRITICIZED OVER REJECTION OF NOSY APPLICANTS
A number of business-school applicants who were rejected due to their
looking at university admissions records online without authorization
have spoken out against the universities' decision to exclude them.
Carnegie Mellon University, Harvard University, and MIT have rejected
the applications of 153 individuals who used a hacker's instructions
to try to find out if they had been accepted. Although some applicants
involved acknowledged that accessing the records was wrong, they
contended that the actions do not constitute hacking and that the
institutions have overreacted. One rejected applicant wrote a letter to
Harvard, admitting a "lapse in judgment" but noting that he "wasn't
trying to harm anyone and wasn't trying to get an advantage over
anyone." Len Metheny, CEO and president of ApplyYourself, the software
that all the affected schools used for applications, said the procedure
to access the records was sufficiently complicated that anyone doing so
would have to have known it was unauthorized.
Chronicle of Higher Education, 11 March 2005 (sub. req'd)
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2005/03/2005031104n.htm

APPLE WINS RIGHT TO SUBPOENA E-MAIL RECORDS

New iPod, etc., outed before official announcement]

A judge in California has ruled that Apple Computer has the right to
subpoena records of an e-mail provider to determine the source of leaks
of confidential company information on upcoming products. In his
ruling, Judge James P. Kleinberg was careful to sidestep the question
of protection for journalists and to note that his ruling does not
concern the merits of Apple's underlying case. Rather, he found that
under California law, the information published on Mac enthusiast sites
constitutes stolen property, as would physical property that had been
stolen. While the law does not allow prevention of such publications,
those responsible--regardless of the definition of "journalist"--must
bear the consequences of doing so, said Kleinberg. Apple hopes through
the proceedings to identify those individuals who leaked the
information that was posted on the enthusiast sites. The operators of
those sites are not the target of Apple's efforts. Kleinberg delayed
enforcement of his ruling for seven days to provide an opportunity for
the defendants to appeal.
CNET, 11 March 2005
http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-5611285.html

                                                                                                                                                                 You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

*HEADLINE NEWS AVOIDED BY MOST OF THE MAJOR U.S. MEDIA

Malaria Drastically Underreported

It turns out that the media have been giving false reports
on malaria these past years, with half a billion people on
file as having malaria in 2002, but probably less than one
half that many were acknowledged.

The possible reason behind this is that most media outlets
are not particularly concerned with Africa, other than the
portion bordering the Middle Eastern oil/conflict region.

At least half of the world's malaria cases are located out
of the regions the media concentrates on, in a sub-Saharan
region of Africa.

However, about one quarter of malaria cases are located in
Asia and the Western Pacific.

And this is only counting the most deadly form of Malaria,
plasmodium falciparum malaria; 515 million cases per year.

As the World Wide Web brings us closer together, the media
can no longer continue to keep us apart.

*

In a related story, it would appear that "The Plague" your
history books mentioned in Europe, actually more like some
world series of plagues, conferred upon its survivors, and
their descendants, resistance to AIDS.

*

In yet another related story, having one gene for "sickle-
cell anemia" gives resistance to malaria, which explains a
confounding persistence of sickle-cell anemia in Africa.

*

FOUL UP CAUSES ANTHRAX SCARE, STOCK MARKET FALLS

[Official Pentagon Spokesman Remains Anonymous]

Apparently a test sample either was not cleaned out of
the anthrax testing machines or such a sample was placed
close or on the air filter from the Pentagon Remote Delivery
Facility to cause the recent anthrax scare this past week.

As a result, 100's of government employees were placed on
a three day regimen of antibiotics at an undisclosed cost
in terms of medical support, paid work leave, lost work, etc.,
not to mention the substantial loss to our finanical markets.

"Quality Control Problems" were officially announced as the
cause of the scare by a senior Pentagon official who has
insisted on remaining nameless.

*

In Juxaposition, However, It Appears The Bird Flu Has Been
Undercounted To A Major Degree In A Different Kind Of Error

*

*STRANGE QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger."

That's why our cockroaches and rats are so tough.

*PREDICTIONS OF THE WEEK

Pharacological [drug] companies will spend well over half their
entire budgets this year on their marketing divisions and stock
dividends while only spending 3% on developing new drugs and 9%
on revamping old drugs to renew patents or to develop new drugs
that do not out perform old drugs.

Figures are from the US SEC [Securities Exchange Commission]

*ODD STATISTICS OF THE WEEK

A few years ago the average citizen of the world had not ever
made a single phone call.  Today even the average citizen of
Africa has made a phone call.  [Figures from Reuters]

*

"If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely
100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same,
it would look something like the following. There would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
  8 Africans
  52 would be female
  48 would be male
  70 would be non-white
  30 would be white
  70 would be non-Christian
  30 would be Christian
   6 people  would  possess  59%  of the entire world's wealth
   and all 6 would be from the United States
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
  1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
  1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
  1 would own a computer

I would like to bring some of these figures more up to date,
as obviously if only 1% of 6 billion people owned a computer
then there would be only 60 million people in the world who
owned a computer, yet we hear that 3/4 + of the United States
households have computers, out of over 100 million households.
Thus obviously that is over 1% of the world population, just in
the United States.

I just called our local reference librarian and got the number
of US households from the 2004-5 U.S. Statistical Abstract at:
111,278,000 as per data from 2003 U.S Census Bureau reports.

If we presume the saturation level of U.S. computer households
is now around 6/7, or 86%, that is a total of 95.4 million,
and that's counting just one computer per household, and not
counting households with more than one, schools, businesses, etc.

I also found some figures that might challenge the literacy rate
given above, and would like some help researching these and other
such figures, if anyone is interested.

BTW, while I was doing this research, I came across a statistic
that said only 10% of the world's population is 60+ years old.

This means that basically 90% of the world's population would
never benefit from Social Security, even if the wealthy nations
offered it to them free of charge.  Then I realized that the US
population has the same kind of age disparity, in which the rich
live so much longer than the poor, the whites live so much longer
than the non-whites.  Thus Social Security is paid by all, but is
distributed more to the upper class whites, not just because they
can receive more per year, but because they will live more years
to receive Social Security.  The average poor non-white may never
receive a dime of Social Security, no matter how much they pay in.

***

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists,
including the Project Gutenberg Weekly and Monthly Newsletters:
and the other Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

The weekly is sent on Wednesdays, and the monthly is sent on the
first Wednesday of the month.

To subscribe to any (or to unsubscribe or adjust your subscription
preferences), visit the Project Gutenberg mailing list server:

http://lists.pglaf.org

If you are having trouble with your subscription, please
email the list's human administrators at: help at pglaf.org