[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Sep 8 09:36:57 PDT 2004

GWeekly_September_8.txt
The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, September 8, 2004 PT1
******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971*******

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Nanotechnology
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
   2 New From PG Australia [Australian, Canadian Copyright Etc.]
   52 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones

                We Are Over 90% of the Way to 15,000!!!

                        1,269 to go to 15,000

                     13,731 eBooks As Of Today!!!

We have now averaged about 4142 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971!!!

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~3 years from 2001 to 2004 for our last 10,000 eBooks

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

Today, and until we actually GET new Newsletter editors who want to
do another portion, there will be only 2 parts. . .this is Part 1,
and the eBook listings in Part 2 [New Project Gutenberg Documents].

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

Over Our 33 08/52 Year History, We Have Now Averaged About 414 eBooks/Yr
And This Year We Are Averaging Nearly That New eBook Level. . .PER MONTH!

         We Are Averaging About 353 eBooks Per Month This Year

                           About 81 Per Week

***

*Nanotechnology : A commentary from Bill Hammack's public radio program
You can listen to this commentary at http://www.engineerguy.com

With nanotechnology engineers manipulate atomic sized particles
to create tiny machines. They'll be able to create, for example,
toothpaste filled with nano-particles that repair damaged teeth,
or pills that are really tiny pacemakers. Although still a young
technology, the National Science Foundation forecasts the U.S.
Market will be one trillion dollars by 2016.

Yet this promise may never be fulfilled, but not for lack of
technological know how or resources: The U.S. Government alone
will pour 3.7 billion dollars into nanotech over the next four
year. But to really thrive a technology needs more than a
scientific side, it must fit into our world socially and legally.
For nanotech storm clouds already loom on the horizon.

For example, Britain's Prince Charles suggested that
nanotechnology could be a disaster like thalidomide - the drug
that caused grotesque birth defects in the 1960s. His remarks
signal to the nanotech community the work yet to be done in
creating a public receptive to their technology.

I suggest they look carefully at two negative role models:
Biotechnology and nuclear power. Nether industry conveyed to the
public the benefit of their product, nor did they listen to
public concerns. In the absence of intelligent dialogue,
heightened concerns grew over the risk, nearly crippling both
industries. Better public engagement could have prevented this
backlash. The public isn't going to accept any technology where
there hasn't been detailed studies of risks and benefits.

Right now the lack of information about nanotechnology invites
alarmist scenarios. The nanotech industry needs to educate the
public about what exactly nanotechnology is, and it needs to
listen carefully to public concerns.

And there are other ways nanotech needs to fit into our world
before being fully accepted - consider legal and regulatory
aspects. The EPA is deciding whether to regulate nano-materials
under the Toxic Substances Control Act, or to classify them as
the naturally occurring "ultra-fine" materials - the same as
dust, forest fire smoke, volcanic ash, bacteria and viruses.

And Patent Examiners are grappling with nanotech. If you use nano
methods to make a tiny motor is that legally any different than a
full-sized motor? In the past a simple change in size hasn't been
patentable absent some other utility or novelty that comes from

To researchers who enjoy conquering the technological problems of
creating a nanotech world, these social, legal and regulatory
concerns may seem like dull things. Yet, some fraction of the
nearly four billion dollars being invested into nanotechnology
needs to be used to answer these questions. If not then these
tiny nano-sized machines will bite back big time.

Copyright 2004 William S. Hammack Enterprises
[Reprinted with Bill's personal permission]

***Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://gutenberg.net/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD on there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

Just click on the hash to download the torrent file for the CD.
It's the only one on there.  He will be changing it to show the name
later today, but for now it's just the hash.  Anyway it works fine.

***

Please visit our newest mirror sites:

http://www.knowledgerush.com/gutenberg/
[This one does not have our .mp3 files]

and

ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/gutenberg
Contact:  mirrors at cise.ufl.edu

***

We are in the process of rewriting some of the general FAQs and
would appreciate help proofreading them over the next few months.

We've added some new FAQs and generally updated information
about Project Gutenberg.  Take a look, and email Michael or
Greg with any suggestions or corrections.  We'll have these
updated from time to time, now that we've passed #10,000.
A new set of these will be in the works when we pass #20,000.

http://gutenberg.net/about

***Continuing Requests and Announcements

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://gutenberg.net/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 7.5 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

***

_I_ am still interested in a DVD that has an actual total
of 10,000 eBooks. . .or more. . .mostly for PR purposes--
if someone would be willing to make one.

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.  We have
regular needs for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

     In the first 8.00 months of this year, we produced 2820 new eBooks.

  It took us from July 1971 to July 2001 to produce our first 2,820 eBooks!

               That's 35 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 Years!

                  54   New eBooks This Week
                  66   New eBooks Last Week
                  54   New eBooks This Month [Sep]

                 354   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                2824   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               10669   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 44.00 Months!

              13,731  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
               9,327   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               4,404   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 375   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

We're still keeping up with Moore's Law!

Moore's Law 12 month percentage =  81%

Moore's Law 18 month percentage = 104%

[100% of Moore's Law = doubling every 18 months]

***

REPORT ON PRODUCTION FROM DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS:

Since completing its first eBook (#3320) on Mar 13th, 2001, the Distributed
Proofreaders team has now produced its 5,166th eBook (#13395).

Projects completed since the beginning of the year:
   Jan 2004 -  267
   Feb 2004 -  421
   Mar 2004 -  365
   Apr 2004 -  276
   May 2004 -  235
   Jun 2004 -  232
   Jul 2004 -  231
   Aug 2004 -  220
   Sep 2004 -   47 (As of Sep 7)

Two years ago they completed their 438th eBook (#5817).
One year ago they completed their 1,953rd eBook (#9154).

***

Check out our website at gutenberg.net, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:
http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

***

Today Is Day #251 of 2004
This Completes Week #35 and Month #8.00
   120 Days/17 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
  1269 Books To Go To #15,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    81   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot, by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner
(note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned).  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

***

We also need help proofreading the various FAQ pages at:

gutenberg.net/about
[New materials added since July 22]

and

gutenberg.us
[Under construction until November 4]
["Raiders Of The Lost Art" please let us know of any
eBook collections that could be included from the
public domain or with permission]

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
and in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.net":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.net&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 32 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://gutenberg.net/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.net

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

  *Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.net/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://gutenberg.net/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

Statistical Review

In the 35 weeks of this year, we have produced 2824 new eBooks.
It took us from 1971 to 2000 to produce our FIRST 2824 eBooks!!!

          That's 35 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 YEARS!!!

With 13,731 eBooks online as of September 8, 2004 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.73 from each book,
for Project Gutenberg to have currently given away $1,000,000,000,000
[One Trillion Dollars] in books.

100 million readers is only ~1.5% of the world's population!

This "cost" is down from about $1.07 when we had 9327 eBooks a year ago

Can you imagine ~13,731 books each costing ~$.35 less a year later???
Or. . .would this say it better?
Can you imagine ~13,731 books each costing 1/3 less a year later???

At 13,731 eBooks in 33 Years and 02.00 Months We Averaged
       414 Per Year   [We do nearly that much a month these days!]
        34.5 Per Month
         1.13 Per Day

At 2824 eBooks Done In The 251 Days Of 2004 We Averaged
      11.2 Per Day
      80.6 Per Week
     353.0 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 7th was
the first Wednesday of 2004, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2003 and began the production year of 2004 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

                            *Flashback!!!

                   2820 New eBooks So Far in 2004

               It took us ~30 years for the first 2824!!!

       That's the 8.00 months of 2004 as Compared to ~30 years!!!

      Here Is A Sample Of What Books Were Being Done Around #2824

Oct 2001 Sir Nigel, by Arthur Conan Doyle [A. C. Doyle #24][nigelxxx.xxx] 2845
Oct 2001 Fatal Boots, by William Makepeace Thackeray  [#25][fbootxxx.xxx] 2844
Oct 2001 Little Travels and Roadside Sketches, by Thackeray[ltarsxxx.xxx] 2843
Oct 2001 Black Heart and White Heart, by H. R. Haggard[#24][bwhrtxxx.xxx] 2842
Oct 2001 The Ivory Child, by H. Rider Haggard [Haggard #23][ivoryxxx.xxx] 2841

Sep 2001 De Franse Pers, Heinrich Heine  [#3/Flemish/Dutch][fpersxxx.xxx] 2840
Sep 2001 Franse Toestanden, Heinrich Heine[2/Flemish/Dutch][ftoesxxx.xxx] 2839
Sep 2001 De Beurs lacht, Heinrich Heine  [#1/Flemish/Dutch][fbeurxxx.xxx] 2838
[These three are our first eBooks in Flemish/Dutch]
Sep 2001 Lendas do Sul, by J. Somoes Lopes Netto           [lendaxxx.xxx] 2837
   [Language: Portuguese] [Our First eBook in Portuguese!]
Sep 2001 Abraham Lincoln and the Union, Nath'l W Stephenson[alatuxxx.xxx] 2836
[Author:  Nathaniel W. Stephenson]

Sep 2001 The Canadian Dominion, by Oscar D. Skelton        [cndndxxx.xxx] 2835
Sep 2001 The Portrait of a Lady, Vol 2, by Henry James[#37][2pldyxxx.xxx] 2834
Sep 2001 The Portrait of a Lady, Vol 1, by Henry James[#36][1pldyxxx.xxx] 2833
Sep 2001 Myth, Ritual, and Religion, V1, by Andrew Lang #28[1mrarxxx.xxx] 2832
Sep 2001 A Bundle of Ballads, by Henry Morley              [bndbaxxx.xxx] 2831

Sep 2001 Reginald, by Saki (H. H. Munro) [Saki HH Munro #5][rgnldxxx.xxx] 2830
Sep 2001 Fanny and the Servant Problem, by Jerome K. Jerome[fnyspxxx.xxx] 2829
Sep 2001 Under the Deodars, by Rudyard Kipling[Kipling #19][undeoxxx.xxx] 2828
Sep 2001 Aslauga's Knight by Friedrich de la Motte Fouque 4[slkntxxx.xxx] 2827
Sep 2001 The Two Captains by Friedrich de la Motte-Fouque 3[2cpnsxxx.xxx] 2826

Sep 2001 Undine, by Friedrich de la Motte Fouque[Fouque #2][undinxxx.xxx] 2825
Sep 2001 Sintram and His Companions, by Friedrich Fouque #1[sntrmxxx.xxx] 2824
[Author:  Friedrich Heinrich Karl, Freiherr de La Motte-Fouque]
Sep 2001 The Fitz-Boodle Papers/William Makepeace Thackeray[fitzbxxx.xxx] 2823
Sep 2001 London in 1731, Don Manoel Gonzales               [londnxxx.xxx] 2822
Sep 2001 The Story of the Gadsby, by Rudyard Kipling[RK#18][tsotgxxx.xxx] 2821

Sep 2001 La Fin des Livres by Octave Uzanne & Albert Robida[endbkxxh.zip] 2820
[English Title:  The End of Books]
Sep 2001 Barrack-Room Ballads, by Rudyard Kipling  [RK #17][barbaxxx.xxx] 2819
Sep 2001 Beautiful Joe, by Marshall Saunders               [beajoxxx.xxx] 2818
Sep 2001 Chamber Music, by James Joyce     [James Joyce #2][chamuxxx.xxx] 2817
Sep 2001 The City of the Sun, by Tommaso Campanells        [tcotsxxx.xxx] 2816

Sep 2001 Democracy An American Novel, by Henry Adams[HA #2][demamxxx.xxx] 2815
Sep 2001 Dubliners, by James Joyce        [James Joyce #1] [dblnrxxx.xxx] 2814

*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

>From NewsScan:

CYBERCAFE LOOKS BACK ON A TEN-YEAR REVOLUTION
Cafe Cyberia opened its doors ten years ago Wednesday in the heart of
London as the brainchild of a Polish psychology student who had the savvy
and foresight to combine coffee and e-mail. Eva Pascoe's cybercafe drew
raves immediately, along with investments from the likes of rock star Mick
Jagger. From the branch on Wiltshire Road, in London's bustling Tottenham
Court Road area, it spawned outlets across Britain and abroad, showing up
even inside Paris' Pompidou Center, the contemporary art museum in the heart
of the French capital. (The Age 3 Sep 2004) Rec'd from J. Lamp
<http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/02/1093939058886.html>

MALAYSIA SEEKS TO BECOME TOP OUTSOURCING CENTER
Malaysia prime minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi says that outsourcing
operations have emerged as one of the largest sectors in Malaysia's
Multimedia Super Corridor, spawning investment of more than one billion
ringgit by 49 companies and some 8,000 new jobs in the special zone south of
Kuala Lumpur. The sector would play a key role in the zone's second phase of
development from 2004 to 2010, creating at least 100,000 new jobs by the end
of the period. (The Age 2 Sep 2004) Rec'd from J. Lamp
<http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/02/1093939032933.html>

"INDIAN" OUTSOURCERS COULD BE ANYWHERE
India's back-office service providers have been establishing operations
in other parts of the world: an Infosys subsidiary has opened offices in the
Czech republic and MphasiS BFL's arm MSourcE has created a processing center
in Mexico. Raju Bhatnagar, president of ICICI OneSource, explains: "It is
more from a customer perspective. If the vendor, however reliable, has a
single delivery center, it forces the customer to look for a second vendor
outside India, rather than put all his eggs in one basket. If I can bridge
that gap, I can keep business from going to another vendor."
(Reuters/USA Today 3 Sep 2004)
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/industry/2004-09-03-further-outsou
rcing_x.htm

[Speaking of outsourcing, I heard that "call centers" are now going up
in Eastern Europe as various countries join NATO and start using Euros]

LABOR SECRETARY DEFENDS OUTSOURCING
In defense of outsourcing, which has been under much attack in this
political year, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao says that companies have created
millions of jobs in the United States, far outpacing the amount of work that
American businesses have shifted abroad. "People talk about it a lot, but
the anxiety belies the numbers." Noting that we live and work in a worldwide
economy, Chao warns: "If we isolate ourselves from this worldwide economy,
we will put in jeopardy the 9 million jobs that Americans currently hold"
in foreign-owned companies. (AP/San Jose Mercury News 2 Sep 2004)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9556426.htm>
[Notice she doesn't say "foreign-located companies, or sweatshops.]

SPY VERSUS SPY: UNBLOCK THAT CALL-BLOCK
A new computerized service from a company called Star38 will allow
callers to create false outbound phone numbers and thereby fool call block
software. Customers of the new service will be able to go to the company's
Web site to enter the number they want to call and the number they want to
appear on the caller ID screen of the recipient's phone. Some privacy-rights
advocates are concerned that angry former spouses, stalkers or fraud artists
could use the service for mischief, but Robert Atkinson of the Institute for
Tele-Information at Columbia University, comments: "Some people see caller
ID as an invasion of their privacy, while others see it as a protection of
their privacy. It's spy versus spy." (New York Times 2 Sep 2004)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/02/technology/02caller.html>

FRANCE TELECOM EMPLOYEES PROTEST PRIVATIZATION PLANS
France Telecom employees have protested government plans to privatize
the group, with management characterizing the mobilization as modest and
unions describing it as robust resistance. Company officials say 18.3% of
the workforce heeded a union call for a 24-hour strike, while the SUD-PTT
union claims the figure was 25% and characterizes the response as
"significant." Another union, the CGT, says 30-70% of the workforce went out
on strike, with turnout varying among branches. The strike call followed an
announcement by the government that it will reduce its stake in France
Telecom to below 50%. (The Age 8 Sep 2004) Rec'd from J. Lamp
<http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/08/1094530645952.html>

E-VOTING IN NEVADA
Nevada voters have become the first in the nation to cast ballots in a
statewide election using computers that produced printed paper records of
electronic ballots. "Knock on wood, so far things have been working
flawlessly," said Secretary of State Dean Heller. Nevada's $9.3 million
voting system includes more than 2,600 computers and printers deployed in
every county. The system, developed by California-based Sequoia Voting
Systems, aims to address concerns that paperless touchscreen votes cannot be
properly audited or recounted. "From what I've seen, voters seem to enjoy
the experience," says DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the U.S. Election
Assistance Commission. "There hasn't been frustration or confusion."(AP/USA
Today 8 Sep 2004)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/evoting/2004-09-08-nv-evote-sy
stem_x.htm

and in a related story:

MARYLAND JUDGE OKAYS TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING

[Yes, but it's the UNREASONABLE ones who stuff the ballot boxes.]

Rejecting a challenge to the state's touch-screen voting machines, a
Circuit Court judge in Maryland suggests that the machines are more accurate
than the paper ballots the plaintiffs are seeking to make optional for the
November elections, and notes that election officials have "taken all
reasonable steps to protect the integrity of the voting process." The lead
plaintiff's response is: "I am very disappointed that Maryland voters will
be forced to vote on machines that we believe are illegal under Maryland law
and that are clearly very insecure." In his ruling the judge wrote: "No
system is infallible. No machine is infallible. All experts agree systems
such as these are much more secure and less vulnerable than the paper
ballot" -- or the optical scan machines used in most Maryland jurisdictions
in the last presidential election. (Washington Post 1 Sep 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54409-2004Sep1.html>

You have been reading excerpts from NewsScan:
NewsScan Daily is underwritten by RLG, a world-class
organization making significant and sustained contributions to the
effective management and appropriate use of information technology.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or handheld versions
of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or unsubscribe messages
(i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the subject line) to:
Text version: Send message to NewsScan at NewsScan.com
Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html at NewsScan.com
NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

*

>From Edupage

U.S. COPYRIGHT OFFICE DRAFTS NEW VERSION OF INDUCE ACT

[Right, Fortune 500 companies such as Sony and Apple can do it,
but the little guys face total destruction.]

Responding to strong criticism of the recently introduced Induce Act,
the U.S. Copyright Office has written a revised version of the
legislation. The "discussion draft" offered by the Copyright Office
attempts to shield devices such as Apple's iPod from prosecution for
inducing consumers to commit copyright violations while outlawing
networks such as Kazaa and Morpheus for doing just that. The draft
limits liability to those who "intentionally induce" piracy--a more
stringent definition of wrongdoing than in the original bill. The
Copyright Office's draft has sparked new criticism, however, based on
requirements that ISPs and technology companies must take all
"reasonably available corrective measures" and cannot "actively
interfere" with efforts to locate copyright violators. Sarah Deutsch,
vice president and associate general counsel of Verizon Communications,
noted that the language in the draft is vague and could make an ISP
liable, for example, if it refused to provide copyright holders with a
list of the company's subscribers.
CNET, 2 September 2004
http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5345528.html

You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

More Headline News Avoided By Most Of The Major U.S. Media

HALLIBURTON OUT OF IRAQ?

Various reports are surfacing from both government and
private sources that Halliburton, Vice-President Cheney's
previous employer, will not renew its Iraq contracts.

Multiple sources indicate that the US Army will terminate
Halliburton's no-bid 9-figure contract, of which some $1.2
billion seems to be unaccounted for, and will finally put
these services up for competitive bidding.

Halliburton is reportedly not even going to prepare a bid,
as the new contracts won't be nearly as profitable, since
they now require the usual bidding system.

Researchers on this story say that even if the bidding is
about the same as what the previous contractors received,
it will still save significant amounts of tax revenues,
since Halliburton doesn't really do the work, but rather
takes a few percent off the top and then sub-contracts
the work to others.

ILLINOIS GOVERNOR LOSES TO BUSH ON CANADIAN PHARMACIES

Interestingly enough, I never heard a word about this
in the Illinois media, though I am sure something has
appeared about this.

Illinois governor Rod Blagoijovich's program to allow
citizens to legally fill prescriptions from Canadian
pharmacies was apparently defeated last week.

I only found out about this because a friend needed
some money to fill a prescription that had apparently
just jumped $65 as a result of lost price competition.

*ODD STATISTICS OF THE WEEK

US LIBRARIES LOSING GROUND?

Early indicators point to a drop in library books checked out.

In several interviews around the country, data is emerging to
show that for the first time in history the number of books
checked out from the average US library has actually dropped
over the last couple years.

1 BILLION CELL PHONE SALES IN 18 MONTHS

If industry analysts are correct, the 18 months surrounding
today, 9 months past and 9 months future, will see nearly a
billion cell phones sold worldwide in just a year and a half.

meanwhile:

1/8 BILLION iTUNES SALES

Apple announced that it has sold 125 million iTunes at $.99.

SIMPLE SOLUTION OF THE WEEK

It would appear that the officials at the Republican National
Convention finally figured out how to keep demonstrators from
sneaking into the convention with unapproved signs or comments:

Across the street they have created a Checkpoint Charlie system,
in which delegates, press, etc., are screened, and then wrapped
in orange plastic fencing before being ushered across the street
into Madison Square Garden inside the orange packaging material.

[However, it would appear this didn't work too well, not only
annoying the authorized personnel, but still not keeping out
various groups that wanted platform changes.]

*ODD QUOTATION OF THE WEEK

"When civilized men can no longer stand the horrors of war,
they will be conquered by uncivilized men who can."

*

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

About the Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately at noon each Wednesday, but various
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

and

About the Project Gutenberg Monthly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately first Wednesday of each month.  But
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

***

Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists
please visit the following webpage:
http://gutenberg.net/subs.html

Archives and personal settings:

The Lyris Web interface has an easy way to browse past mailing list
contents, and change some personal settings.  Visit
http://listserv.unc.edu and select one of the Project Gutenberg lists.

Trouble?

If you are having trouble subscribing, unsubscribing or with
anything else related to the mailing lists, please email

help at pglaf.org

to contact the lists'
(human) administrator.

If you would just like a little more information about Lyris
features, you can find their help information at http://www.lyris.com/help

***