[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Oct 13 10:03:18 PDT 2004

GWeekly_October_13.txt
*The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, October 13, 2004 PT1*
*******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971*******

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books,
history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled,
thought and speculation at a standstill." Barbara Tuchman
[From Newsscan]

Please watch for a Newsletter Special Edition, arriving in your mailbox soon,
announcing a major milestone for the volunteers at Distributed Proofreaders.

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
   2 New From PG Australia [Australian, Canadian Copyright Etc.]
  128 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones

                     14,077 eBooks As Of Today!!!

We have now averaged about 1,000 eBooks per year since December, 1990.

                        923 to go to 15,000!!!

We have now averaged about 423 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971!!!

Please watch for a Newsletter Special Edition, arriving in your mailbox soon,
announcing a major milestone for the volunteers at Distributed Proofreaders.

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~3 years from 2001 to 2004 for our last 10,000 eBooks

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

Today, and until we actually GET new Newsletter editors who want to
do another portion, there will be only 2 parts. . .this is Part 1,
and the eBook listings in Part 2 [New Project Gutenberg Documents].

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

Over Our 33 14/52 Year History, We Have Now Averaged About 423 eBooks/Yr
And This Year We Are Averaging Nearly That New eBook Level. . .PER MONTH!

         We Are Averaging About 343 eBooks Per Month This Year

                           About 79 Per Week

***

***Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements

More about Terabyte machines:

Martin Ward tells me he has already bought one of the new
250G USB drives for under $250, and has established that
you can now upgrade to a terabyte without even cracking
the case, simply by adding 4 of these drives, once you
have 4 extra USB connections, of course.

We tested the drive and got 17M/sec throughput, though
that might be a little fast, as the last part probably
stayed in the cache buffer at the time.  The specs said
more like 15M/sec, which makes it the first test we did
that ever exceeded specs!

It would seem these drives work about as fast as an IDE.

*

There is a new experimental online reader available. Start from any
bibliographic record page, eg.

    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

Basically this paginates the txt file and remembers your last position
in a cookie so you can later resume reading where you left off.

Please test it. It should work with any book that has a text file
where the encoding is known.

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD on there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

***

Please visit our newest mirror sites:

http://www.knowledgerush.com/gutenberg/
[This one does not have our .mp3 files]

and

ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/gutenberg
Contact:  mirrors at cise.ufl.edu

***

We are in the process of rewriting some of the general FAQs and
would appreciate help proofreading them over the next few months.

We've added some new FAQs and generally updated information
about Project Gutenberg.  Take a look, and email Michael or
Greg with any suggestions or corrections.  We'll have these
updated from time to time, now that we've passed #10,000.
A new set of these will be in the works when we pass #20,000.

http://www.gutenberg.org/about

***Continuing Requests and Announcements

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 7.5 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.  We have
regular needs for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

     In the first 9.25 months of this year, we produced ~3100 new eBooks.

  It took us from July 1971 to July 2001 to produce our first 3,100 eBooks!

               That's 40 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 Years!

                 130   New eBooks This Week
                  57   New eBooks Last Week
                 130   New eBooks This Month [Oct]

                 343   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                3169   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               11014   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 45.25 Months!

              14,077  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
               9,806   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               4,270   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 382   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

We're still keeping up with Moore's Law!

Moore's Law 12 month percentage =  74%

Moore's Law 18 month percentage = 109%

[100% of Moore's Law = doubling every 18 months]

***

Since completing its first eBook (#3320) on Mar 13th, 2001, the Distributed
Proofreaders team has now produced its 5,437th eBook (#13728).
Of that total, there are 5,109 unique, brand-new titles.

Projects completed since the beginning of the year:
   Jan 2004 -  267
   Feb 2004 -  421
   Mar 2004 -  365
   Apr 2004 -  276
   May 2004 -  235
   Jun 2004 -  232
   Jul 2004 -  231
   Aug 2004 -  220
   Sep 2004 -  182
   Oct 2004 -  136 (as of Oct 12)

*

Check out our website at www.gutenberg.org, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

Today Is Day #286 of 2004
This Completes Week #40 and Month #9.25
    85 Days/12 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
   923 Books To Go To #15,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    79   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot, by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner
(note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned).  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

***

We also need help proofreading the various FAQ pages at:

www.gutenberg.org/about
[New materials added since July 22]

and

Please send comments to the message board at:

gutenberg.us
[also available as]
pgcc.net
[Project Gutenberg Consortia Center]
[Under construction until November 4]

["Raiders Of The Lost Art" please let us know of any
eBook collections that could be included from the
public domain or with permission]

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
and in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.org":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.org&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 32 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.org

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

  *Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.org/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

Statistical Review

In the 40 weeks of this year, we have produced ~3169 new eBooks.
It took us from 1971 to 2000 to produce our FIRST 3169 eBooks!!!

          That's 40 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 YEARS!!!

With 14,077 eBooks online as of October 13, 2004 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.71 from each book,
for Project Gutenberg to have currently given away $1,000,000,000,000
[One Trillion Dollars] in books.

100 million readers is only ~1.5% of the world's population!

This "cost" is down from about $1.02 when we had 9806 eBooks a year ago

Can you imagine ~14,077 books each costing ~$.31 less a year later???
Or. . .would this say it better?
Can you imagine ~14,077 books each costing 1/3 less a year later???

At 14,077 eBooks in 33 Years and 03.25 Months We Averaged
       423 Per Year   [We do nearly that much a month these days!]
        35.3 Per Month
         1.16 Per Day

At 3169 eBooks Done In The 286 Days Of 2004 We Averaged
      11.1 Per Day
      79.0 Per Week
     342.6 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 7th was
the first Wednesday of 2004, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2003 and began the production year of 2004 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

                            *Flashback!!!

                   3034 New eBooks So Far in 2004

               It took us ~30 years for the first 3034 !

       That's the 9.25 months of 2004 as Compared to ~30 years!!!

      Here Is A Sample Of What Books Were Being Done Around #3100

Feb 2002 The Chinese Classics (Prolegomena), by James Legge[lggprxxx.xxx] 3100
Feb 2002 The Old Merchant Marine, by Ralph D. Paine        [mrmrnxxx.xxx] 3099
   [Title:  The Old Merchant Marine, A Chronicle of American Ships and Sailors]
Feb 2002 The Paths of Inland Commerce, by Archer B. Hulbert[tpoicxxx.xxx] 3098
  Title: The Paths of Inland Commerce, A Chronicle of Trail, Road, and Waterway
Feb 2002 The Wanderer's Necklace, by H. Rider Haggard [#31][ncklcxxx.xxx] 3097
Feb 2002 Beatrice, by H. Rider Haggard[H. Rider Haggard#30][betrcxxx.xxx] 3096

Feb 2002 The Lady of the Shroud, by Bram Stoker [bstoker#4][ldsrdxxx.xxx] 3095
Feb 2002 Red Eve, by H. Rider Haggard[H. Rider Haggard #29][rdevexxx.xxx] 3094
Feb 2002 The Eve of the Revolution, by Carl Becker         [teotrxxx.xxx] 3093
  [Title:  The Eve Of The Revolution, A Chronicle Of The Breach With England]
Feb 2002 The Conquest of New France, by George M. Wrong[#2][confrxxx.xxx] 3092
  [Title:  The Conquest of New France, A Chronicle of the Colonial Wars]
Feb 2002 Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon, J. Verne[#14][800lgxxx.xxx] 3091
   [Author:  Jules Verne]

Feb 2002 Complete Short Stories, by Maupassant      [GM#15][gm00vxxx.xxx] 3090

*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

>From NewsScan:

HOUSE PUNISHES SPYWARE PERPETRATORS
The U.S. House of Representatives has voted 399-1 to pass the "Spy
Act," which imposes heavy federal fines on those who secretly install
"spyware" programs on people's computers to surreptitiously monitor their
Internet activities. The bill was introduced by Rep. Mary Bono (R-Calif.).
(AP/Washington Post 5 Oct 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9558-2004Oct5.html>

[and in a related story, also more in Edupage section]

SPYWARE IN FTC'S CROSSHAIRS
The Federal Trade Commission is launching an aggressive new strategy
to prosecute "spyware" perpetrators, and last week filed a civil lawsuit
against former spam-king Sanford Wallace and his companies, Seismic
Entertainment Productions and SmartBot. Wallace, who was once dubbed
"Spamford" for his earlier misdeeds, operates the PassItOn.com Web site,
which requires visitors to click through multiple pop-up windows in order
to exit. In an interview with CNet last year, Wallace defended his practice
of collecting personal information from people who visited his site: "We
don't violate anybody's privacy; everything is disclosed. We're giving
something away for free in exchange for consumers' permission to use
private information. It's no secret. Publishers Clearinghouse has been
doing this type of thing for years." However, an FTC investigator says
Wallace's actions go far beyond information-gathering, by changing the home
page of her Internet Explorer browser and using programming code to pop
open the CD drive in her computer while displaying a message saying, "If
your cd-rom drive opens~E you desperately need to rid your system of spyware
pop-ups immediately." Of course, the site then offers to sell a product
called Spy Deleter. Anti-spyware activist Ari Schwartz says the FTC has
"built a good case. This fits into the kinds of cases where FTC could get
their feet wet on this issue." (CNet News.com 12 Oct 2004)
<http://news.com.com/From+spam+king+to+spy+master/2100-1032_3-5406348.html>

[Did you know THEY can jam YOUR cell phone?]

FRANCE APPROVES CELL PHONE-JAMMING IN THEATERS
Tired of chatty theater-goers disturbing your entertainment
enjoyment? France Industry Minister Patrick Devedijian has approved a
decision by the country's Telecommunications Regulation Authority to allow
cinemas, concert halls and theaters to install cell phone jammers that
would prevent patrons from making or receiving calls during performances.
Devedijian stipulated that emergency calls and calls made outside theaters
and other performance spaces must not be affected, however. The move comes
president of the National Federation of French Cinemas, noting that movie
theaters had invested heavily to improve comfort and that "the
authorization of jammers is the cherry on the cake." (AP 11 Oct 2004)
<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041012/D85LIBC80.html>

U.S. GOVERNMENT FUNDS CHAT ROOM SURVEILLANCE
The U.S. government is funding a year-long study by a Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute computer science professor aimed at developing
mathematical models to identify patterns in the chaotic traffic generated
by online public forums that might reveal "hidden communities" of
terrorists. RPI professor Bulent Yener will download data from selected
chat rooms while tracking the times that messages were sent in order to
create a statistical profile of the traffic. For instance, if QTpie and
RatBoi consistently send messages within seconds of each other in a crowded
chat room, it might be inferred that they are "speaking" to each other,
camouflaged by the "noise" of the chat room environment. "For us, the
challenge is to be able to determine, without reading the messages, who is
talking to whom," says Yener. The $157,673 grant to conduct the study comes
from the National Science Foundation's Approaches to Combat Terrorism
program, which works in concert with U.S. intelligence agencies to make its
selections. However, some scholars doubt the concept has much merit: "In a
world in which you can embed your message in a pixel on a picture on a home
page about tea cozies, I don't know whether if you're any better if you
think chat would be any particular magnet," says Harvard Law School
Internet scholar Jonathan Zittrain. (AP/Washington Post 11 Oct 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25272-2004Oct11.html>

REUTERS TRIPLES JOBS AT SITE IN INDIA
UK-based Reuters news service and data company will triple the number
of employees it has in India, with as many as 1,500 employees (mainly in
technical and data-entry jobs) in Bangalore by 2006. That figure represents
about 10% of the total Reuter's workforce. Reuter's chief executive Tom
Glocer says: "The amazing thing -- and this is the dirty little secret about
outsourcing that people need to talk about publicly a bit more -- not only
is the cost conflation amazing at four, five or even six to one, but the
quality and productivity is better too. We are flooded. We have 100
qualified applications for every data input person and these people have
qualified accounting degrees." (New York Times 8 Oct 2004)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/08/business/worldbusiness/08reuters.html>

ADVANCED CHIPS FROM CHINA

[China:  Not Just For The Chinese Any More]

Chinese computer chip maker Semiconductor Manufacturing International
Corp. (SMIC) will be supplying 90-nanometer chips to Texas Instruments and
other major clients as part of Beijing's plan to reduce the country's once
total dependence on imported chips for its own electronics industry. Texas
Instruments has been using SMIC for late-stage processing of 130-nanometer
chips since 2002, and SMIC's adoption of the 90-nanometer technology will
bring it to the level of the highest industry standard. But SMIC has assured
governments in Europe, the United States and Japan that it will never use
its equipment to produce defense-related products. (AP/San Jose Mercury News
8 Oct 2004) <http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9868936.htm>

EBAY BOSS HEADS 'SHE POWER' LIST

[The Times They Are A'Changin'"]

Meg Whitman of eBay has been named the most powerful woman in
corporate America by Fortune magazine, toppling Carly Fiorina of
Hewlett-Packard, who had headed the list since it began in 1998. Fortune
ranks the women on criteria including the size and importance of a business
in its market, the businesswoman's clout at her organization, her career
trajectory and social or cultural impact. In Ms Whitman's case, there was
one over-riding factor, the magazine said: "2004 belongs to Meg Whitman.
Here's just one reason: The $60-billion market value of eBay, the company
she runs, has surged past that of HP." The online marketplace is one of the
fastest growing companies in history. This year it expects to report
operating profits of about $1 billion on revenue of $3.2 billion. (The Age,
6 Oct 2004) rec'd from John Lamp
<http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/05/1096949508672.html>

You have been reading excerpts from NewsScan:
NewsScan Daily is underwritten by RLG, a world-class
organization making significant and sustained contributions to the
effective management and appropriate use of information technology.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or handheld versions
of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or unsubscribe messages
(i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the subject line) to:
Text version: Send message to NewsScan at NewsScan.com
Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html at NewsScan.com
NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

*

>From Edupage

HOUSE SUPPORTS ANTISPYWARE LEGISLATION
The U.S. House of Representatives this week voted overwhelmingly to
pass the Spy Act, which prohibits a range of actions including
surreptitiously installing software, tracking users' keystrokes, and
hijacking home pages. Those found guilty under the Spy Act are subject
to civil penalties of up to $3 million. The House is expected to pass
similar legislation, called the I-Spy Act, which adds criminal
penalties to many of the violations covered by the Spy Act. The bills
include exemptions for determining if a computer is authorized to use
software that is being legitimately installed; monitoring networks, as
long as such monitoring is for security or repair purposes; and using
cookies to allow access to certain Web sites. With those exemptions,
the bills earned the support of The Business Software Alliance, Dell,
eBay, Microsoft, Time Warner, Yahoo, and EarthLink. Although no votes
have been scheduled for companion legislation that is pending in the
Senate, lawmakers still hope that the bills can be delivered to the
president's desk before Congress adjourns this Friday.
Internet News, 6 October 2004
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3417891

COLLEGES PRAISED FOR EFFORTS TO LIMIT COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS
Members of Congress this week praised the efforts of some in the higher
education community to limit the incidence of illegal file trading on
campus networks. At a hearing of the Judiciary Committee's
Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property,
witnesses testified about legal online music services on certain
campuses and about software developed by the University of California
at Los Angeles (UCLA) that automatically handles notices of copyright
infringement. The UCLA system disconnects students from the networks
and notifies them by e-mail of the offending files. Network access is
restored after the individual removes the files in question. Members of
the subcommittee applauded UCLA's system, saying the blocking of
network access for illegal file traders is an appropriate course of
action. James Davis, UCLA's associate vice chancellor for information
technology, said the number of copyright notices received by the
institution has fallen since the introduction of the system, and no
student has been disconnected more than once. The subcommittee also
said it supports the work of the Joint Committee of the Higher
Education and Entertainment Communities, which encourages colleges to
offer free legal services for students who download music on campus.
Chronicle of Higher Education, 6 October 2004 (sub. req'd)
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2004/10/2004100604n.htm

FIRST VICTORY FOR CAN-SPAM ACT
The first state prosecution under the federal CAN-SPAM Act was resolved
this week when the state of Massachusetts reached a settlement with DC
Enterprises and its principal owner, William Carson. Massachusetts
Attorney General Tom Reilly had filed the suit against Carson and DC
Enterprises in July, alleging that the company sent thousands of
messages that failed to provide a valid "opt-out" feature, did not
identify themselves as advertisements, and used bogus return addresses.
The messages reportedly asked recipients to send personal and financial
information. In a statement, Reilly described the e-mail messages as
the type that "threaten the credibility of companies using e-mail for
legitimate purposes." Carson and DC Enterprises will pay $25,000 and
will end practices that violate the CAN-SPAM Act as well as
Massachusetts state laws.
CNET, 11 October 2004
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5406062.html

PURDY NAMED INTERIM HEAD OF CYBERSECURITY
Andy Purdy has been named interim head of cybersecurity in the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS), replacing Amit Yoran, who
abruptly resigned from the post after serving just one year. Yoran was
reportedly frustrated with what he saw as the Bush administration's
lack of support for efforts to improve cybersecurity. Yoran and members
of the technology industry had lobbied to have Yoran's position within
DHS elevated, a move that Congress appeared set to make this week.
Under a bill sponsored by Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), the position would be
elevated such that the director would report to the undersecretary for
information analysis and infrastructure protection, one step below DHS
Secretary Tom Ridge. In addition, the bill would require government
agencies to demonstrate consideration of security issues when
requesting new technology systems.
Reuters, 7 October 2004
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6444284

FTC PURSUES SPYWARE PROSECUTION
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has filed charges against Sanford
Wallace, alleging that his companies are guilty of installing spyware
that change browser settings, track users' surfing habits, and open
pop-up ads on their computers. Wallace is further charged with selling
antispyware tools that, according to the FTC, "resolve the specific
problems that the defendants themselves have caused." The FTC has asked
the courts to force Wallace's companies to remove the software they
have secretly installed and to refund consumers for the cost of the
antispyware products they have purchased. The U.S. House of
Representatives this week passed two antispyware bills, despite
comments in April by the FTC that it already had sufficient authority
to investigate and prosecute those accused of installing spyware.
Internet News, 8 October 2004
http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3419411

You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

More Headline News Avoided By Most Of The Major U.S. Media

NEW CORPORATE TAX CODE REPLACES ILLEGAL CORPORATE SUBSIDIES

More new tax breaks for American manufacturers, even though
corporate tax rates are already the lowest ever since WWII:
in a not so surprise move of "robbing Peter to pay Paul," a
bill in they U.S. Congress is about to continue the subsidy
to America as a corporation that was declared illegeal when
the World Trade Organization enforced various trade tarriff
and other treaties the U.S. has been avoiding so illegally,
up to now, that the WTO responded by putting a 12% tarriff,
as of 7 months ago, on 1,600 U.S. products sold abroad.

[Remember the WTO making all the news?  It appears it today
is the case that the administration NOW thinks WTO rulings,
when they are not in lock-step with party politics, are NOT
such a good thing. . . .

It would appear that any company expressing an interest for
inclusion in this bill has been accomodated, from importers
of ceiling fans, to makers of fishing tackle boxes, all the
specific pork-barrel additions to this bill make a list the
lobbyists are saying was the most easy pickins of history.

One commentator said a company got a tax break if they have
just an ordinary lobbyist with a pulse.

Apparently the only proposed inclusion in this bill that is
NOT going forward was one to create a body to study the new
tax and deficit situation caused by the bill. . .literally,
the only ones NOT getting a break from the bill, taxpayers.
$145 billion more for them to pay, as their goverment finds
a way to make something now declared illegal appear legal.

One HUGE benefit is that outsourced corporations would send
home huge profits that were previously taxed at 35%. . .but
now will be taxed at only 5.25%. . .more like a sales tax.

Halliburton, General Electric and Texas oil are listed as a
sample of the largest beneficiaries, and the 4.3 cent tax a
trucker pays on diesel fuel has been repealed, while normal
drivers still have to pay their gasoline taxes.  Prices for
airline tickets will continue to increase as jet fuel taxes
will be increased rather than decreased.

This bill will probably be passed this Friday, but you will
not see much follow-up in the major media.

*

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

About the Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately at noon each Wednesday, but various
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

and

About the Project Gutenberg Monthly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately first Wednesday of each month.  But
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists
please visit the following webpage:
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.html

Archives and personal settings:

The Lyris Web interface has an easy way to browse past mailing list
contents, and change some personal settings.  Visit
http://listserv.unc.edu and select one of the Project Gutenberg lists.

Trouble?

If you are having trouble subscribing, unsubscribing or with
anything else related to the mailing lists, please email

help at pglaf.org

to contact the lists'
(human) administrator.

If you would just like a little more information about Lyris
features, you can find their help information at http://www.lyris.com/help

***