[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Project Gutenberg Newsletter news at pglaf.org
Wed Nov 17 10:19:36 PST 2004

GWeekly_November_17.txt

The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, November 17, 2004 PT1
*******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971******

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON
Re: <http://www.newsscan.com/cgi-bin/findit_view?table=newsletter&id=11670>
"I was pleased to see NewsScan recommend Jules Verne's story "From the
Earth to the Moon". I typed the story in 1989 as a donation for Project
Gutenberg. It's available online by searching Google. (Rich Schroeppel)"
[See addition reference in coverage below of the X-43A scramjet, etc.]

November 16, 1904, 100 years ago, the first electronic tube was patented.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report
*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report
*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
   *Mirror Site Information
   *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
    This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
    Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
    Corrections in separate section
    56 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                           *eBook Milestones

                       14,412 eBooks As Of Today!!!

                11,350 New eBooks Since The Start Of 2001

             We Have Now Produced about 3,505 eBooks In 2004

           We Are Already ~41% of the Way from 14,000 to 15,000

                         688 to go to 15,000!!!

We have now averaged ~432 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971!!!

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~3 years from 2001 to 2004 for our last 10,000 eBooks

*

HOT REQUEST FOR EARLY EDITION OED
Would anyone who can xerox 3 pages
please contact gbnewby at pglaf.org

HOT REQUEST FOR UNIX "GREP" EXPERT
Please email hart at pglaf.org
Still looking for more grep options

HOT REQUEST FOR RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR

We are trying to start up a Project Gutenberg Russian Team,
and we need someone to translate simple email messages from
members of Project Gutenberg who want to provide a service
to the Russian Team, but who do not know Russian. . .these
people will be helping with scanning, finding books, etc.
The messages will be in MS Word's .doc format in cyrillic,
we need them translated into English, also in a .doc file.
Thanks!!!     Contact Jared Buck  <JBuck814366460 at aol.com>

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

    This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

Over Our 33 16/52 Year History, We Have Now Averaged About ~432 eBooks/Yr
And This Year We Are Averaging 3/4 of That New eBook Level. . .PER MONTH!

          We Are Averaging About 334 eBooks Per Month This Year

                            About 78 Per Week

***

***Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements

Please visit and test our newest site:

pgcc.net   [also available as  gutenberg.us and gutenberg.cc]

The Project Gutenberg Consortia Center [PGCC]
[Opened on November 4, new features added weekly]

Please let us know of any eBook collections that
would be suitable for inclusion:  public domain
or copyrighted, for which we ask permission.
or copyrighted with permission]

*

There is a new experimental online reader available. Start from any
bibliographic record page, eg.

     http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

Basically this paginates the txt file and remembers your last position
in a cookie so you can later resume reading where you left off.

Please test it. It should work with any book that has a text file
where the encoding is known.

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD and DVD there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

***

We are in the process of rewriting some of the general FAQs and
would appreciate help proofreading them over the next few months.

We've added some new FAQs and generally updated information
about Project Gutenberg.  Take a look, and email Michael or
Greg with any suggestions or corrections.  We'll have these
updated from time to time, now that we've passed #10,000.
A new set of these will be in the works when we pass #20,000.

http://www.gutenberg.org/about

***Continuing Requests and Announcements

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 14 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.  We have
regular needs for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

      In the first 10.50 months of this year, we produced 3505 new eBooks.

   It took us from July 1971 to July 2001 to produce our first 3,505 eBooks!

                That's 45 WEEKS as Compared to ~31 Years!

                   57   New eBooks This Week
                   74   New eBooks Last Week
                  131   New eBooks This Month [Nov]

                  334   Average Per Month in 2004
                  355   Average Per Month in 2003
                  203   Average Per Month in 2002
                  103   Average Per Month in 2001

                 3505   New eBooks in 2004
                 4164   New eBooks in 2003
                 2441   New eBooks in 2002
                 1240   New eBooks in 2001
                 ====
                11350   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                          That's Only 46.00 Months!

               14,412  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
               10,310   eBooks This Week Last Year
                 ====
                4,102   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                  386   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

We're still keeping up with Moore's Law!

Moore's Law 12 month percentage =  68%

Moore's Law 18 month percentage = 114%

[100% of Moore's Law = doubling every 18 months]

*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report

Since completing its first eBook (#3320) on March 13th, 2001, the
Distributed Proofreaders team has now produced its 5,697th eBook (#14066).
Of that total, there are 5,356 unique, brand-new titles.

Projects completed since the beginning of the year:
    Jan 2004 -  267
    Feb 2004 -  421
    Mar 2004 -  365
    Apr 2004 -  276
    May 2004 -  235
    Jun 2004 -  232
    Jul 2004 -  231
    Aug 2004 -  220
    Sep 2004 -  182
    Oct 2004 -  263
    Nov 2004 -  133 (as of 16 Nov 04)

*

Check out our website at www.gutenberg.org, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:

http://www.gutenberg.org/howto/subscribe-howto
or
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report

PGCC's current eBook and eDocument Collections holdings
of 15 collections. . .with this month's new features.

Alex-Wire Tap Collection,           2,036 HTML eBook Files
Black Mask Collection,             12,000 HTML eBook Files
The Coradella Bookshelf Collection,   141 eBook Files
DjVu Collection,                      272 PDF and DJVU eBook Files
eBooks at Adelaide Collection,        27,709 eBook Files
Himalayan Academy,                  3,400 HTML eBook Files
Literal Systems Collection,            68 MP3 eBook Files
Logos Group Collection,            34,000 TXT eBook Files
Poet's Corner Poetry Collection,    6,700 Poetry Files
Project Gutenberg Collection,      14,300 eBook Files
Renaisscance Editions Collection,     561 HTML eBook Files
Swami Center Collection,               78 HTML eBook Files
Tony Kline Collection,                223 HTML eBook Files
Widger Library,                     2,600 HTML eBook Files
CIA's Electronic Reading Room,      2,019 Reference Files
=======Grand Total Files==========106,107 Total Files=====

These eBooks are catalogued as per the instructions of
their donors:  some are one file per book, some have a
file for each chapter, and some even have a file for a
single page or poem. . .or are overcounted for reasons
I have not mentioned. . .each of which could cause the
overcounting or duplication of numbers.

If we presume 2 out of 3 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                     35,360 Unique eBooks

If we presume 3 out of 4 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                     26,527 Unique eBooks

***

Today Is Day #321 of 2004
This Completes Week #43 and Month #10.50
     49 Days/10 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
    688 Books To Go To #15,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

     78   Weekly Average in 2004
     79   Weekly Average in 2003
     47   Weekly Average in 2002
     24   Weekly Average in 2001

     41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
           [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot, by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner
(note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned).  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
and in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.org":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.org&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 33 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.org

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

*Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.org/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

Statistical Review

In the 45 weeks of this year, we have produced 3505 new eBooks.
It took us from 1971 to 2000 to produce our FIRST 3505 eBooks!!!

           That's 45 WEEKS as Compared to ~31 YEARS!!!

With 14,412 eBooks online as of November 17, 2004 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.69 from each book,
for Project Gutenberg to have currently given away $1,000,000,000,000
[One Trillion Dollars] in books.

100 million readers is only ~1.5% of the world's population!

This "cost" is down from about $.97 when we had 10,310 eBooks a year ago

Can you imagine ~14,412 books each costing ~$.28 less a year later???
Or. . .would this say it better?
Can you imagine ~14,412 books each costing 1/3 less a year later???

At 14,412 eBooks in 33 Years and 04.50 Months We Averaged
        432 Per Year   [We do about 3/4 that much per month these days!]
         36.0 Per Month
          1.18 Per Day

At 3505 eBooks Done In The 321 Days Of 2004 We Averaged
       11 Per Day
       78 Per Week
      334 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 7th was
the first Wednesday of 2004, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2003 and began the production year of 2004 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

                             *Flashback!!!

                    3334 New eBooks So Far in 2004

                It took us ~31 years for the first 3324 !

        That's the 9.75 months of 2004 as Compared to ~31 years!!!

*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

>From NewsScan:

TELECOMMUTING TAKES OFF AT TECH FIRMS
Thanks to better technology, such as collaborative software
applications, a number of technology firms are giving more workers
flexibility in how -- and where -- they do their jobs. When set up
properly, telecommuting and flextime are good for both employers and
workers, says Ellen Galinsky, president of the Families and Work Institute:
"Providing flexibility isn't a perk. Flexible work (options) are part of
effective companies." In fact, studies on telecommuting show that it
increases workers' average productivity by 5% to 20%, says Jack Nilles,
president of telecommuting consulting firm JALA International. "Most
offices are dysfunctional. Interruptions are unbelievable," says Nilles,
who adds that the number of people who work at least one day every couple
of weeks away from the office is about 30 million this year, up 10% from
last year. IBM is a case in point: In 2001, about a third of IBM employees
worked outside the office at least some of the time. That figure has
climbed to 42%, says Maria Ferris, manager of work/life and women's
initiatives at Big Blue. Still, there are challenges to overcome: Top on
the list is ensuring that company data isn't at risk when employees work
from home, followed by convincing managers to supervise based on results
rather than face-time, and ensuring that remote employees feel connected.
(CNet News.com 15 Nov 2004)
<http://news.com.com/At+tech+firms%2C+time+again+for+flextime/2100-1022_3-54
48994.html>

UNIVERSAL AND SNOCAP MAKE MUSIC TOGETHER   [NAPSTER LIVES!]
Vivendi Universal has agreed to license its catalog of 150,000 songs
to Snocap, a new venture headed up by Napster founder Shawn Fanning. It's
unclear how Snocap's peer-to-peer service will work, but people close to
the deal say one possibility is that the service would allow users to share
a low-quality copy of a licensed song for free but would require a fee for
access to a high-quality version. The other three big labels -- Warner
Music, EMI Group and Sony BMG -- all are seeking ways to license legitimate
copies of their songs to peer-to-peer network, but Universal's move marks
the first such partnering deal. (Wall Street Journal 15 Nov 2004)
<http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110030801621473060,00.html> (sub req'd)

CISCO TO BUILD CHINA'S NEXT-GENERATION NETWORK

[Remember our predictions about China?]
[Also story below that India has more
cell phones than land lines.  Notice in
this China article no mention is made of
wired versus wireless.]

Cisco Systems has been chosen by China Telecommunications Corp.,
China's biggest telecom company, to build China's next-generation backbone
network. Known as the China Telecom Internet Protocol Next-Generation
Network, it will connect more than 200 cities and allow China's users to
connect to overseas networks through virtual private network (VPN) services.
The next-generation network is part of a plan by China Telecom to become one
of the world's largest providers of Internet protocol services within the
next two decades. (AP/San Jose Mercury News 12 Nov 2004)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10164520.htm>

STUDYING NANOTECH RISKS

[We heartily recommend you read "The Diamond Age," by Neal Stephenson,
and "Engines of Creation," by Eric K. Drexler to see the potential in
several very interesting perspectives.]

The Environmental Protection Agency has awarded $4 million in grants to
a dozen universities to study the biological and medical implications of
nanotechnology, which has already yielded such products as carbon "nanotube"
electrical wires; cages of atoms that can capture pollutants in water and
soil; and catalysts that reduce manufacturers' dependence upon caustic
chemicals. Recognizing that these materials are small enough to enter the
lungs (and perhaps even be absorbed through the skin and travel to the brain
and other organs), EPA official Paul Gilman explained: "This emerging field
has the potential to transform environmental protection, but at the same
time we must understand whether nanomaterials in the environment can have an
adverse impact." Barbara Karn of the EPA's Office of Research and
Development says the projects funded by the new grants will do "infinitely
more" on nanotech safety than has ever been done previously.
(Washington Post 11 Nov 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43763-2004Nov11.html>

AOL WINDS DOWN BROADBAND SERVICE

[Why just the Southeast?  Isn't AOL headquartered in Virginia?]
[Will this bring back the "Digital Divide?"  In only two months?]

Earlier this year America Online stopped signing up new broadband
customers -- and now it's telling existing broadband subscribers in nine
Southern states that they'll need to find a new broadband carrier by
mid-January, or face being moved to dial-up service. Broadband customers
affected by this decision are residents of Florida, Kentucky, Georgia,
Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina and South
Carolina. (AP/Los Angeles Times 12 Nov 2004)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/ats-ap_technology10nov11,1,1067276.story?
coll=sns-ap-toptechnology>

MICROSOFT CRACKS DOWN ON XBOX MODIFICATIONS
Cameron Ferroni, Microsoft's general manager for the Xbox software
platform, says the company's not planning to sue individual users but that
it does want to stop users of the Xbox Live online service from modifying
their machines to improve their performance at games. Ferroni believes it's
important that Microsoft prevent cheating on Xbox Live (where multiple
players can take part in games) and says that the company's goal is to make
sure there's a level playing field for game players.
(AP/San Jose Mercury News 15 Nov 2004)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10189248.htm>

SOFTWARE FREE AS THE SUN, FROM SUN
Sun Microsystems, which spent $500 million developing its next-generation
operating system, will offer its Solaris 10 operating system free,
in hopes of expanding both its customer base and the number of
software developers who write programs for it. To generate revenue,
the company will charge subscription fees for Solaris support and service
programs. Sun chief executive Scott McNealy says: "Hewlett Packard sells
a printer at a low price and makes a lot of money on printer cartridges.
Gillette gives you the razor and makes a lot of money on the blades.
There are different ways to drive market penetration." (AP 15 Nov 2004)
<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041115/D86CA3700.html>

[See related story below in Edupage section]

You have been reading excerpts from NewsScan: NewsScan Daily
is underwritten by RLG, a world-class organization making
significant and sustained contributions to the effective
management and appropriate use of information technology.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or handheld versions
of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or unsubscribe messages
(i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the subject line) to:
Text version: Send message to NewsScan at NewsScan.com
Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html at NewsScan.com
NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

*

>From Edupage

STRONG SHOWING FOR ONLINE EDUCATION
According to a new report by the Sloan Consortium, significantly more
students are enrolling in online courses, and the perceived quality of
online education is also rising. The study, which is in its second
year, showed a 19 percent increase in the number of students enrolled
in an online course. The authors of the report expect that number to
grow by another 24 percent in the next year. Growth rates among
private, for-profit institutions outpaces others by a factor of almost
two to one. The study also showed increasing confidence in the quality
of online education, with more than 40 percent of respondents saying
they believe students are at least as satisfied with online courses as
with classroom instruction. According to Jeff Seaman, chief information
officer for the Sloan Consortium and coauthor of the study, small
baccalaureate institutions are the slowest to embrace online learning.
Administrators at those institutions, he said, are more likely to
support small, on-campus classes for the type of educational experience
they provide.
Chronicle of Higher Education, 15 November 2004 (sub. req'd)
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2004/11/2004111503n.htm

[and. . . .]

S. KOREA CONSIDERS BANNING N. KOREAN COLLEGE WEB SITE
Officials from South Korea are reportedly considering forbidding access
to the Web site of North Korea's Kim Il-sung University in an effort
to shield computer users in South Korea from communist ideology. Police
in South Korea have asked the government to block access to a total of
31 Web sites under the country's National Security Law, which is
currently being debated in parliament. South Korea's president wants
the law, which places restrictions on contact with the north, to be
revised or thrown out. Supporters of the law said it remains necessary
to protect those in the south from the propaganda of North Korea, which
has never officially rescinded its call for taking over South Korea by
force. According to an unnamed South Korean police official, "We need
to block access to resources of one-sided information or knowledge
which ordinary people can obtain easily."
Reuters, 12 November 2004
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6800390

SUN OFFERS NEW SOLARIS FOR FREE
Sun Microsystems announced that its upcoming Solaris 10 operating
system will be available near the end of January and said it will offer
a free version of the software. Sun's move reflects a growing practice
among vendors such as Linux distributor Red Hat: offer software in a
free version or a flagship version that includes licensing and support
fees. An official from Sun said that under the new pricing arrangement,
"Solaris will be less expensive in any category than our Linux
competitors." Sun also hopes to appeal to customers on the basis of its
being able to offer hardware, software, and support from a single
vendor. According to IDC, Solaris is currently running on about one
million computers around the world. Analyst Jean S. Bozman said,
"They're looking for ubiquity."
New York Times, 15 November 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/15/technology/15sun.html

YAHOO UPS STORAGE LIMITS ON E-MAIL ACCOUNTS
In an effort to stay competitive with Microsoft's Hotmail and
Google's Gmail, Yahoo has announced an increase in the amount of free
storage it allows for its e-mail customers. Yahoo users now have up to
250 megabytes of free space--the same as Hotmail customers--up from the
former limit of 100 megabytes. Gmail offers 1,000 megabytes of free
storage space but is currently in testing and only available by
invitation or to existing account holders. Brad Garlinghouse, vice
president of communications products at Yahoo, said, "[Gmail] really
has raised the game for everyone, and that's good for consumers."
Yahoo also said it has improved its technology for verifying the
identities of those sending e-mail and its technology for searching
e-mail content.
Washington Post, 15 November 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50385-2004Nov15.html

CAMPUS GROUPS EDUCATE STUDENTS ABOUT COPYRIGHT
Students at about a dozen colleges and universities have started
organizations called Free Culture groups to educate other students
about copyright and fight what they see as a tilting of the law to
favor copyright owners. The first Free Culture group was started by
Swarthmore College student Nelson Pavlosky, known for his successful
legal challenge to Diebold Election Systems' use of the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act in trying to suppress leaked company memos.
Pavlosky and other Free Culture organizers want college-age people to
understand how copyrights have changed in the electronic era,
particularly with respect to legislation such as the proposed Induce
Act. Pavlosky acknowledged that a danger of the Free Culture groups is
that participants will simply be seen as "rich white kids who want free
music." Jessica Litman, a law professor at Wayne State University and a
speaker at a meeting of the Free Culture groups, noted that copyright
law is traditionally written by lobbyists who represent copyright
owners and said that consumers should be included in that process.
Wired News, 10 November 2004
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,65616,00.html

You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

*Headline News Avoided By Most Of The Major U.S. Media

Apparently Russia's approval of the Kyoto accords,
which were stalled when President Bush reversed US
policies, were mostly a ploy to gain membership in
the World Trade Organization [WTO].

"Once you figure out what's going on, it's interesting to compare all
the countries. The big news story of the day is obviously `Insurrection
will not end in Fallujah' ... in every country except the USA and
Spain, where it's not mentioned at all. Why Spain?"

*

We've all heard the some countries could leapfrog
right over the wired to the wireless, but no one
has admitted this could be done on a large scale
until now. . .India in reporting more cell phones
than land lines.  [See above story on China.]

[More on China]

A controversial system of treating drug addiction
by removing the portion of the brain responsible
for cravings has been banned.  One side effect
feared most was the loss of the sex drive, too.
This treatment was invented by Russian doctors,
and apparently had only a 50% success rate in
China, and only 60% elsewhere.

*

NASA RETALIATES AGAINST X-PRIZE WINNER

November 17, 2004, off the coast of California

In an effort to reclaim some of the fame lost by NASA
with the various failures of the space shuttle and now
with the advent of commercially oriented spacecraft,
NASA decided to unveil its X-43A scramjet, short for
supersonic ramjet.

The plane, earlier versions of which graced magazine
covers many years ago but which were then hushed up,
travelled nearly 7,000 miles per hour, over twice as
fast as the SR-71A "Blackhawk" spy plane did when it
set an earlier record of 3,000 miles coast to coast
when it was retired from service and finally unveiled.

The unmanned plane was part of a three-stage effort
in which a B-52 bomber carried the plane with attached
booster rocket pack to a high altitude, then launched
the the plane via the booster, and finally the plane
separated from the booster and soared into the record
books to a speed of Mach 9.6, or nearly 7,000 mph in
a self-powered flight that lasts only about 10 seconds.
Other reports claimed a speed of Mach 9.8.

Other sources say the 9.8 figure was achieved only in
flight on the Pegasus booster rocket, and that the new
plane actually slowed down slightly after launch as it
flew past the 100,000 foot altitude mark that is used
as a general demarcation of the beginning of space.

This is not a full-sized plane, it's only 12 feet long.

This was the third of three X-43A's, the first of which
was intentionally destroyed when the Pegasus booster
failed to stay on course.  The second flew last March,
reaching Mach 6.83, or nearly 5,000 mph.

The basic advantage being sought in this program is to
eliminate the need for vehicles to carry oxygen to burn,
but rather to use the oxygen in the atmosphere, thus making
them lighter and faster, able to carry more payload over
longer distances.

One idea is for these scramjets to carry satellites nearly
into orbit and then shoot them into orbit much as one would
shoot any other projectile.

Shades of Jules Verne's "From The Earth To The Moon," in which
astronauts were shot into space. . .and you can read right here
at Project Gutenberg.

[meanwhile. . .back at the lunar ranch. . . .]

SLOWLY BUT CHEAPLY, A NEW WAY TO THE MOON
from The Washington Post

Astronauts used to get to the moon in a few days, after blazing
into space atop the largest rockets ever, but a new approach,
dubbed SMART-1, is just now entering lunar orbit, after over a
year in ever-widening orbits of the earth, eventually reaching
close enough to the moon to be guided into its gravity and will
now orbit the moon, all by using a very small engine, after being
launch into earth orbit in the usual manner.
http://snipurl.com/an8a

*STRANGE QUOTE OF THE WEEK

"They can be removed from our society
with no more thought than removing
bad apples from a barrel."

Nixon's Vice-President Spiro Agnew,
about those who disagreed with Nixon
about the Viet Nam War

[Does anyone have the exact reference?]

*PREDICTION OF THE WEEK

You won't hear much more about the X-43A scramjet for a while.

*ODD STATISTICS OF THE WEEK

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists,
including the Project Gutenberg Weekly and Monthly Newsletters:
and the other Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

The weekly is sent on Wednesdays, and the monthly is sent on the
first Wednesday of the month.

To subscribe to any (or to unsubscribe or adjust your subscription
preferences), visit the Project Gutenberg mailing list server:

http://lists.pglaf.org

If you are having trouble with your subscription, please
email the list's human administrators at: help at pglaf.org

***