[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Dec 22 10:07:12 PST 2004

GWeekly_December_22.txt
The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, December 22, 2004 PT1
*******eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971******

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

Comments on "Project Googleberg" as friends have dubbed it, in other email.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report
*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report
*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
   2 New From PG Australia [Australian, Canadian Copyright Etc.]
   59 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones

                      14,768 eBooks As Of Today!!!

               11,706 New eBooks Since The Start Of 2001

            We Have Now Produced about 3,861 eBooks In 2004

        We Are Already 3/4 % of the Way from 14,000 to 15,000

              We Are 95% of the Way from 10,000 to 15,000

                        232 to go to 15,000!!!

We have now averaged ~442 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971!!!

         We Are Averaging About 340 eBooks Per Month This Year

                           About 77 Per Week

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~3 years from 2001 to 2004 for our last 10,000 eBooks

*

iPOD eBOOK READER!!!

A new open source project released under the GPL is officially officially up
as of 22 Dec 04. It's called PodReader, an OS X application that takes
electronic documents such as our PG eBooks and "intelligently" parses them
into a series of text blocks that can be read on the iPod.   Having a nice
open source product of this type is likely to result in rapid collaborative
development over the next couple of months and result in a great overall
experience for the end users.

Ports to Linux and Win32, interfacing to our PG FTP server, syncing with the
news, weather, etc. and several other nice features are in the works. You
can check it out, get the latest binary and source, or join the project at
http://homepage.mac.com/ptwobrussell/podreader.html

HOT REQUEST FOR UNIX "GREP" EXPERT
Please email hart at pglaf.org

HOT REQUEST FOR RUSSIAN TRANSLATOR

We are trying to start up a Project Gutenberg Russian Team,
and we need someone to translate simple email messages from
members of Project Gutenberg who want to provide a service
to the Russian Team, but who do not know Russian. . .these
people will be helping with scanning, finding books, etc.
The messages will be in MS Word's .doc format in cyrillic,
we need them translated into English, also in a .doc file.
Thanks!!!     Contact Jared Buck  <JBuck814366460 at aol.com>

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

***

***Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements

"[beta-testing continues on bowerbird's viewer-app -- "give".
designed to turn plain-ascii e-texts into full-on e-books.
features include an automatic table-of-contents menu,
italics/bold, automatic hotlinks, big and bold headers,
illustrations!, and the usual ability to pick font/size/colors.
please help shape the future of this viewer for your e-texts!
to participate, send e-mail to:  zml_talk at yahoogroups.com  ]"

Please visit and test our newest site:

www.pgcc.net
[also available as  www.gutenberg.us and www.gutenberg.cc]

The Project Gutenberg Consortia Center [PGCC]

Please let us know of any eBook collections that
would be suitable for inclusion:  public domain
or copyrighted, for which we ask permission.
or copyrighted with permission]

You should see some signifcant changes this week.

*

There is a new experimental online reader available. Start from any
bibliographic record page, eg.

    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

Basically this paginates the txt file and remembers your last position
in a cookie so you can later resume reading where you left off.

Please test it. It should work with any book that has a text file
where the encoding is known.

*

MACHINE TRANSLATION

We are seeking as much information as possible on the various
approaches to Machine Translation. Any brand names or contact
information would be greatly appreciated.

***

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD and DVD there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

***

We are in the process of rewriting some of the general FAQs and
would appreciate help proofreading them over the next few months.

We've added some new FAQs and generally updated information
about Project Gutenberg.  Take a look, and email Michael or
Greg with any suggestions or corrections.  We'll have these
updated from time to time, now that we've passed #10,000.
A new set of these will be in the works when we pass #20,000.

http://www.gutenberg.org/about

***Continuing Requests and Announcements

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://www.gutenberg.org/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 14 million eBooks via snailmail!!!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have a DVD burner
and are interested in lending a hand, please email Aaron Cannon

<cannona at fireantproductions.com>

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them directly
to readers whose addresses we can send you, or you can
do a stack of these and send the whole box back for reshipping.
We can also reimburse you for supplies and postage if you wish.

Please note that we can only use DVDs which are burnt in the dvd-r format,
as we have had some compatibility issues with the dvd+r format.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.  We have
regular needs for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

     In the first 11.60 months of this year, we produced 3861 new eBooks.

It took us from July 1971 to December 2002 to produce our first 3,861 eBooks!

               That's 58 WEEKS as Compared to ~31.5 Years!

                  61   New eBooks This Week
                  58   New eBooks Last Week
                 197   New eBooks This Month [Dec]

                 333   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                3861   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               11706   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 47.40 Months!

              14,768  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
              10,750   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               4,018   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 392   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

We're still keeping up with Moore's Law!

Moore's Law 12 month percentage =  64%

Moore's Law 18 month percentage = 119%

[100% of Moore's Law = doubling every 18 months]
[There may be some need to refine our program for these figures]

*Distributed Proofreaders Collection Report

Since completing its first eBook (#3320) on Mar 13th, 2001, the
Distributed Proofreaders team has now produced its 6,010th eBook (#14411).
Of that total, there are 5,637 unique, brand-new titles.

Projects completed since the beginning of the year:
   Jan 2004 -  267
   Feb 2004 -  421
   Mar 2004 -  365
   Apr 2004 -  276
   May 2004 -  235
   Jun 2004 -  232
   Jul 2004 -  231
   Aug 2004 -  220
   Sep 2004 -  182
   Oct 2004 -  263
   Nov 2004 -  280
   Dec 2004 -  166 (as of 22 Dec)

*

Check out our website at www.gutenberg.org, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:

http://www.gutenberg.org/howto/subscribe-howto
or
http://www.gutenberg.org/subs.shtml

***

*Project Gutenberg Consortia Center Report

[John just got married, and we we're still giving
him a few weeks off. . . .  Congratulations!!!!!!!]

PGCC's current eBook and eDocument Collections holdings
of 15 collections. . .with this week's listing as:

Alex-Wire Tap Collection,           2,036 HTML eBook Files
Black Mask Collection,             12,000 HTML eBook Files
The Coradella Bookshelf Collection,   141 eBook Files
DjVu Collection,                      272 PDF and DJVU eBook Files
eBooks at Adelaide Collection,        27,709 eBook Files
Himalayan Academy,                  3,400 HTML eBook Files
Literal Systems Collection,            68 MP3 eBook Files
Logos Group Collection,            34,000 TXT eBook Files
Poet's Corner Poetry Collection,    6,700 Poetry Files
Project Gutenberg Collection,      14,768 eBook Files
Renaisscance Editions Collection,     561 HTML eBook Files
Swami Center Collection,               78 HTML eBook Files
Tony Kline Collection,                223 HTML eBook Files
Widger Library,                     2,600 HTML eBook Files
CIA's Electronic Reading Room,      2,019 Reference Files
=======Grand Total Files==========106,475 Total Files=====

These eBooks are catalogued as per the instructions of
their donors:  some are one file per book, some have a
file for each chapter, and some even have a file for a
single page or poem. . .or are overcounted for reasons
I have not mentioned. . .each of which could cause the
overcounting or duplication of numbers.

If we presume 2 out of 3 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                    35,491 Unique eBooks

If we presume 3 out of 4 of these files are overcounts,
that leaves a unique book total of
                                    26,619 Unique eBooks

***

Today Is Day #357 of 2004
This Completes Week #50 and Month #11.60
    14 Days/10 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
   232 Books To Go To #15,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    77   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot, by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner
(note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned).  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a project you would like to work on.

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
and in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541

or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.org":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.org&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 33 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.org

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

*Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.org/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

Statistical Review

In the 50 weeks of this year, we have produced 3,861 new eBooks.
It took us from 1971 to 2000 to produce our FIRST 3,861 eBooks!!!

          That's 50 WEEKS as Compared to ~31.5 YEARS!!!

FLASHBACK!

Here's a sample of what books we were doing around eBook #3861

Memoirs of the Court of St. Cloud, Complete, by Stewarton                 3899
[Being Secret Letters from a Gentleman at Paris to a Nobleman in London]
Memoirs of the Court of St. Cloud, Volume 7, by Stewarton                 3898
Memoirs of the Court of St. Cloud, Volume 1, by Stewarton                 3892

Memoirs Of The Court Of Marie Antoinette, by Madame Campan                3891
Being the Historic Memoirs of Madam Campan, First Lady in Waiting to the Queen
Memoirs of Marie Antoinette, Queen Of France, Volume 7, by Madame Campan  3890
Memoirs of Marie Antoinette, Queen Of France, Volume 1, by Madame Campan  3884

Secret Memoirs of Louis XV/XVI, Complete, by Madame du Hausset, et al     3883
Being Secret Memoirs of Madame du Hausset, Lady's Maid to Madame de Pompadour,
and of an Unknown English Girl & The Princess Lamballe
[Author: Madame du Hausset, an "Unknown English Girl" & the Princess Lamballe]
The Memoirs of Louis XV. and XVI., Volume 7, by Hausset et al.            3882
The Memoirs of Louis XV. and XVI., Volume 1, by Hausset et al.            3876

The Memoirs of Louis XIV, by Duc de Saint-Simon                           3875
[Title: The Memoirs of Louis XIV, and His Court and The Regency, Complete]
The Memoirs of Louis XIV., Volume 15, by Duc de Saint-Simon               3874
The Memoirs of Louis XIV., Volume 1, by Duc de Saint-Simon                3860

With 14,768 eBooks online as of December 22, 2004 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.68 from each book,
for Project Gutenberg to have currently given away $1,000,000,000,000
[One Trillion Dollars] in books.

100 million readers is only ~1.5% of the world's population!

This "cost" is down from about $.93 when we had 10,750 eBooks a year ago

Can you imagine ~14,768 books each costing ~$.25 less a year later???
Or. . .would this say it better?
Can you imagine ~14,768 books each costing 1/3 less a year later???

At 14,768 eBooks in 33 Years and 05.60 Months We Averaged
       441 Per Year   [We do about 3/4 that much per month these days!]
        36.8 Per Month
         1.21 Per Day

At 3861 eBooks Done In The 357 Days Of 2004 We Averaged
      11 Per Day
      77 Per Week
     341 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 7th was
the first Wednesday of 2004, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2003 and began the production year of 2004 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

***

*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

>From NewsScan:

JUDGE SLAMS SPAMMERS WITH $1-BILLION JUDGMENT

[More below in Edupage section]

A federal judge in Iowa has awarded a small ISP more than $1 billion
in damages in what's believed to be the largest judgment ever against
spammers. The case was brought by Robert Kramer, whose company provides
e-mail service to about 5,000 customers, and who filed suit after his
inbound mail servers were jammed with as many as 10 million spam-mails a
day in 2000. Citing federal racketeering laws (RICO) and the Iowa Ongoing
Criminal Conduct Act, U.S. District Judge Charles R. Wolle ordered AMP
Dollar Savings of Mesa, Ariz., to pay $720 million; Cash Link Systems of
Miami, Fla., $360 million; and TEI Marketing Group, also of Florida,
$140,000. "It's definitely a victory for all of us that open up our e-mail
and find lewd and malicious and fraudulent e-mail in our boxes every day,"
said Kramer, who is unlikely to ever collect on the judgments.
(AP/Wall Street Journal 20 Dec 2004)
<http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110349923676804327,00.html> (sub req'd)

CHINATECH ON THE RISE
Journalist Evan Ramstad notes that China's 250 million users (about one-fifth
of the country's total population) far surpass those of any other country
and that China's technological rise is happening faster than it did elsewhere
in Asia: "China passed the U.S. in unit consumption of TV sets two years ago
as household penetration of TVs passed 90%, closing in on the near ubiquity
of TVs in developed countries. If population trends hold, China is unlikely
to be challenged as the world's largest market for TVs until the middle
of the century, when India is expected to become the most populous country.
And when final figures emerge shortly, we're likely to learn that China
passed the U.S. this year as the world's top PC maker, another change
unlikely to be challenged for years to come."
(Wall Street Journal 20 Dec 2004)
<http://www.wsj.com>

EBAY PROTESTS EXECUTIVE'S ARREST IN INDIA
EBay is outraged by the arrest of Avnish Bajaj, the Indian-born and
Harvard-educated chief of the company's India auction site Baazee.com, in a
case involving the sale of a video clip of a teenage couple engaged in
illicit acts. EBay says the video clip was never shown on the site and that
the seller had merely offered it to buyers with a description of its content,
but the law under which the arrest makes publishing or transmitting obscene
material in any electronic form punishable by up to five years in jail.
(New York Times 21 Dec 2004)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/technology/21ebay.html>

BATTLE IN BANGALORE: MICROSOFT WINS
Microsoft has won a battle against open source software supporters in
Bangalore, India, a high-tech hub whose local authorities have selected
Microsoft as their vendor of choice software for networking the state's
utilities and services in an e-governance project for the 55 million people
of Karnataka state. Microsoft sold software at 45 percent of the market
price to the private company executing the Bangalore project, a move the
company's critics derided as merely a trick to tie large populations to
proprietary software. Defending his decision to choose Microsoft, Indian
official Rajiv Chawla points out that Microsoft is "quite popular even in
villages," and adds: "Let open source become so popular, then we will have
no problem using it." (AP/San Jose Mercury News 20 Dec 2004)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10459988.htm>

AUTOMATED MEDICATION WORSE THAN THE DISEASE?
A report from U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), a nonprofit group that sets
standards for the drug industry, says that as more hospitals have
implemented automated systems for administering drugs the number of errors
associated with them has risen. USP vice president Diane Cousins says, "It
would seem logical that applying computer technology to the medication use
process would have a significant positive impact in preventing medication
errors. Yet, depending on the computer's design or user competence, new
points of potential errors can emerge." Kenneth Kizer of the National
Quality Forum agrees with Cousins: "Technology offers great opportunity to
reduce errors, but it's not a panacea. You can't just throw a computerized
system in and expect that everything's fixed. It has to be done right. The
technology is only as good as the people who use it."
(Washington Post 20 Dec 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15178-2004Dec20.html>

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' OF GREENER GADGETS
The California Energy Commission Wednesday unanimously approved
standards to be phased in beginning in 2006 that would require household
appliances sold in the state, including televisions, VCRs, DVD players and
cell phone chargers, to run on one to three watts. Even when idle, such
appliances now typically gobble up two to 10 watts. Commissioners estimate
that compliance with the new guidelines will save commercial and
residential power customers more than $3 billion over 15 years.
(Los Angeles Times 17 Dec 2004)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-energy17dec17,1,5732717.story?coll=
la-headlines-technology>

WHAT PROSPECT FOR CHANGE IN COPYRIGHT POLICY?
On the issue of protecting music and movies from Internet piracy,
Senator Orrin Hatch (R, UT), a songwriter himself, has been the
entertainment industry's most powerful ally in Congress, but in 2005 Sen.
Arlen Specter (R, PA) will replace Hatch as chairman of the Senate Judiciary
Committee. Will there be much change? One aide says that Specter "has been a
follower rather than a leader on these issues" and therefore might let Hatch
keep holding the reins. However, David Green of the Motion Picture
Association of America (MPAA) predicts that Specter will rise to the
occasion: "Copyright issues are important and they're going to percolate up,
and it's really impossible for him to ignore them. He might be right now
more interested in something else, but because these issues are important to
America they are going to be important to Arlen Specter." (Washington Post
16 Dec 2004)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4003-2004Dec16.html>

SEARCHING FOR THE FUTURE OF TV
The startup search engine Blinkx will allow users to search the Web for
selected video clips from 15 television channels, so that, for example, if
you type in "Kofi Annan" Blinkx will offer a selection of digitized clips
cued up to the point where the U.N. secretary general is mentioned. Coming
soon with similar services: Yahoo, Google, and Microft. Blinkx, which has
analyzed and indexed 42,000 hours of video, says "fair use" provisions of
copyright law allow it to show a clip of up to 30 seconds. But attorney
Daniel Harris, an intellectual property attorney, warns: "It definitely
sounds like an area where there could be lawsuits."
(Wall Street Journal 16 Dec 2004)
<http://www.wsj.com>

GEICO CASE AGAINST GOOGLE DISMISSED BY JUDGE
A federal district court judge in Virginia has dismissed a key claim in
the trademark infringement suit brought against Google by Geico, the auto
insurance company. Geico had argued that the Google practice that allows
Geico's competitors to buy ads linked to searches for "Geico" and "Geico
Direct" confuses Web surfers who are looking specifically for Geico, but the
judge ruled that there was not enough evidence the Google practice actually
confuses consumers. One intellectual property attorney not involved in the
case predicts: "It will not be binding precedent. That's how cases get to
the Supreme Court."(New York Times 15 Dec 2004)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/15/technology/15cnd-google.html?oref=login>

ANOTHER ROUND IN THE APPLE-VS.-REAL NETWORKS FIGHT
Apple has begun blocking the technology that RealNetworks created to
evade the copy-protection shield used by Apple's iPod. When RealNetworks
introduced its Harmony technology this summer, it hoped to dissolve some of
the barriers created by incompatible, proprietary digital music standards,
and said it had reverse-engineered Apple's copy-protection code to allow
songs purchased from non-Apple online outlets to be playable on the iPod. To
deal with Apple's new move, RealNetworks now says it "will look at the Apple
upgrade and see how it'll make Harmony work once again with the iPod."
(AP/San Jose Mercury News 15 Dec 2004)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10425219.htm>

CONROVERSY OVER WIRELESS PHONE DIRECTORY
Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal wants the cellular
phone industry to discard its plans to create a directory assistance system
for wireless phone numbers because there are "too many unknowns and dangers
and too few protections at this point." But Kathleen Pierz, a Michigan
analyst specializing in directory assistance counseling, says there are
plenty of safeguards: "This is so buttoned up from a customer point of view,
people don't have to worry. Blumenthal fears that a list of wireless numbers
would inevitably be sold to telemarketers: "If the lists are there, they
will be sold. They are so valuable. No cell phone company will resist the
temptation to sell those lists for the huge profits." Pierz, however, points
out that there is no marketing value to such lists because of existing
federal laws preventing entities from calling a cell phone.
(AP/USA Today 21 Dec 2004)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-12-21-mobile411_x.htm>

ACACIA EXPANDS PATENT HOLDINGS

[The Speculators Take Over From The Inventors, Yet Again!]

Acacia Research, which has made a name for itself pursuing patent
infringement lawsuits, has acquired Global Patent Holdings, an umbrella
company whose holdings represent numerous high-tech patents. One of
Global Patent's companies, TechSearch, has already entered into
licensing deals with companies including Sony and Samsung. Previously,
Acacia has threatened or taken legal action against a range of
companies, alleging patent infringement for technologies that stream
media over the Web. Targets of that legislation have included
pornography Web sites, the Walt Disney Company, and colleges and
universities that use streaming media in online education. Acacia said
the new acquisition will expand its patent holdings to cover dozens of
technologies, or parts of them, including those related to P2P
communication and spreadsheet software. Paul Ryan, CEO of Acacia, said,
"We will continue to acquire additional portfolios, as Acacia moves
towards its goal of becoming the leading technology licensing company."
Analysts said Acacia's business model of acquiring patents and
earning revenues through licenses represents a growing trend in
the technology industry.
CNET, 16 December 2004
http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-5494119.html

You have been reading excerpts from NewsScan: NewsScan Daily
is underwritten by RLG, a world-class organization making
significant and sustained contributions to the effective
management and appropriate use of information technology.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or handheld versions
of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or unsubscribe messages
(i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the subject line) to:
Text version: Send message to NewsScan at NewsScan.com
Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html at NewsScan.com
NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

*

>From Edupage

RICE RESEARCHERS DISCOVER GOOGLE SEARCH FLAW

[Google privacy issues, and new upgrades without telling the users]

Researchers at Rice University in November uncovered a security flaw in
Google's recently released desktop search tool. Google Desktop is a
downloadable program that creates an index of material on a user's
computer, including e-mail and individual documents. When that user
does a Google search of the Web, the application incorporates local
resources from the index in the results. In what began as a student
project to investigate how Google Desktop works, two students and a
computer science professor found that the application could be fooled
into sending results from a local index to Web sites, allowing a hacker
to see them. The problem would only reveal small portions of
information, and no attacks using the flaw have been reported. After
being notified by the researchers of the vulnerability in late
November, Google patched the flaw and began offering a new version of
the search tool in December. In addition, the application includes a
feature that allows Google to update the software without user input or
even knowledge about the upgrade.
New York Times, 20 December 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/20/technology/20flaw.html

["The Paperless Society. . .at least for the military]

ARMY CONTRACTS FOR ELECTRONIC SYSTEM TO ELIMINATE PAPER
The U.S. Army has contracted with IBM and several smaller companies to
develop an entirely electronic records-management system to be
implemented over the next 10 years. Army personnel fill out
approximately 15 million forms each year, using as many as 100,000
different forms, for tasks including ordering supplies, keeping medical
records, and managing awards and citations. Under the current system,
forms must be printed out, hand-signed, and moved manually through all
applicable authorizations. The new system, part of the Army's Forms
Content Management Program, will eliminate much of that paperwork and
save large amounts of money. According to Jim Acklin, the director of
the project, the Army will save $1.3 billion a year in "cost
avoidance." In addition to IBM, the project includes services from
PureEdge and Silanis, two Canadian companies.
Reuters, 17 December 2004
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=7126627

GOOGLE PARTNERS WITH LIBRARIES TO DIGITIZE CONTENT
Google has announced agreements with major libraries to digitize books
in their collections and make them available online. Google is funding
the project, which is said to have strong support from founders Larry
Page and Sergey Brin, who said that such dissemination of information
has always been one of their goals. Under the arrangements, Google
reportedly will scan all of the eight million books at Stanford
University's library and all of the University of Michigan's seven
million texts. For the others involved in the project--Harvard
University, Oxford University, and the New York Public Library--only
portions of the collections will be scanned. For books whose copyright
remains in effect, Google will scan the entire text but make available
only selected portions online. Books whose copyright has run out will
be available in their entirety. The announcement follows similar
programs from the Library of Congress as well as Amazon to digitize
content of books.
New York Times, 14 December 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/technology/14cnd-goog.html

JUDGE HITS SPAMMERS WITH $1 BILLION FINE
A federal judge in Iowa has issued fines totaling $1 billion against
three spammers, marking what some observers believe is the largest
judgment handed down to spammers. The ruling came from a case filed by
Robert Kramer, operator of a small Internet service provider in eastern
Iowa. Kramer, whose company serves about 5,000 customers, filed suit
against 300 spammers, alleging that they send his subscribers upwards
of 10 million spam e-mails per day. The judge ordered three of the
defendants to pay damages under a state law that allows for fines of
$10 per spam message, and those amounts were then tripled under the
federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Cases
against other defendants are still pending. In his ruling Judge Charles
R. Wolle ordered Arizona-based AMP Dollar Savings to pay $720 million,
Florida-based Cash Link Systems to pay $360 million, and TEI Marketing
Group, also based in Florida, to pay $140,000. No attorneys for any of
the defendants were present during the trial, and the plaintiff's attorney
conceded it is unlikely his client will ever collect any of the damages.
Wall Street Journal, 20 December 2004 (sub. req'd)

                                                                                 You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

TECHNOLOGY REVIEW

*Headline News Avoided By Most Of The Major U.S. Media

*STRANGE QUOTE OF THE WEEK

*PREDICTIONS OF THE WEEK

*ODD STATISTICS OF THE WEEK

TIMSS = Third International Mathematics and Science Study

Two weeks ago nearly every new service had positive comments
about the improved U.S. students' TIMSS test scores that come
out every four years.  Only one source I heard had the nerve
to say that the scores didn't really show any improvement,
while the rest seemed to reek of jingoism.

However, in reviewing the scores, it seems obvious that the
U.S. test scores in question, the 8th grade math scores,
were basically unchanged, moving up less than 1% from the
1999 score of 500 to the 2003 score of 504, out of 800.

This represents a change of 1/5 of 1% per year, which I
seriously doubt is within the statistical parameters of
the TIMSS testing methodologies.

Much more likely is the fact that the U.S. ranking has
been changed more by changes in the other countries,
both in terms of the changes the countries chosen for
the 2003 tests, and the performance changes of those
countries that stayed the same.

For example, some score changes in the top 10 of 1999:

Country            1999/2003  Change

Singapore           643/605  =  38
Korea               607/589  =  18
Japan               605/570  =  35
Hong Kong           588/586  =   3
Belgium (Fl)        565/537  =  28
Slovak Republic     547/508  =  39
Netherlands         541/536  =   5
Slovenia            541/493  =  48

Average       579.63/553.00  =  26.75

Thus we see that that most other countries changed
much more than did the U.S., which changed very little.
It would appear that the U.S. didn't really move on the
charts so much as other countries moved up and down past
the U.S.

In addition, it appears that the science scores were not
mentioned in these news reports, nor were the scores for
students in the lower grade classes.  I will have to dig
them up to let you know more about them in later issues.

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists,
including the Project Gutenberg Weekly and Monthly Newsletters:
and the other Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

The weekly is sent on Wednesdays, and the monthly is sent on the
first Wednesday of the month.

To subscribe to any (or to unsubscribe or adjust your subscription
preferences), visit the Project Gutenberg mailing list server:

http://lists.pglaf.org

If you are having trouble with your subscription, please
email the list's human administrators at: help at pglaf.org

***