[gweekly] PT1 Weekly Project Gutenberg Newsletter

Michael Hart hart at pglaf.org
Wed Aug 11 09:29:40 PDT 2004

GWeekly_August_11.txt
The Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter For Wednesday, August 11, 2004 PT1
*****eBooks Readable By Both Humans And Computers Since July 4, 1971******

Newsletter editors needed! Please email hart at pobox.com or gbnewby at pglaf.org
Anyone who would care to get advance editions:  please email hart at pobox.com

TABLE OF CONTENTS
[Search for "*eBook" or "*Intro". . .to jump to that section, etc.]

*eBook Milestones
*Introduction
*Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements
*Continuing Requests and Announcements
*Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders
*Permanent Requests For Assistance:
*Donation Information
*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections
  *Mirror Site Information
  *Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
*Have We Given Away A Trillion Yet?
*Flashback
*Weekly eBook update:
   This is now in PT2 of the Weekly Newsletter
   Also collected in the Monthly Newsletter
   Corrections in separate section
   47 New Public Domain eBooks Under US Copyright
*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage
*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

***

                          *eBook Milestones

                We Are Over 90% of the Way to 15,000!!!

                     13,484 eBooks As Of Today!!!

                         6,516 to go to 20,000

    We have now averaged 400 eBooks per year since July 4th, 1971!!!

It took ~32 years, from 1971 to 2003 to do our 1st 10,000 eBooks

It took ~10 years from 1993 to 2003 to grow from 100 eBooks to 10,100

It took ~3 years from 2001 to 2004 for our last 10,000 eBooks

***Introduction

[The Newsletter is now being sent in two sections, so you can directly
go to the portions you find most interesting:  1.  Founder's Comments,
News, Notes & Queries, and  2. Weekly eBook Update Listing.]

Today, and until we actually GET new Newsletter editors who want to
do another portion, there will be only 2 parts. . .this is Part 1,
and the eBook listings in Part 2 [New Project Gutenberg Documents].

[Since we are between Newsletter editors, these 2 parts may undergo a
few changes while we are finding a new Newsletter editor.   Email us:
hart at pobox.com and gbnewby at pglaf.org if you would like to volunteer.]

   This is Michael Hart's "Founder's Comments" section of the Newsletter

Over Our 33 05/52 Year History, We Have Now Averaged About 400 eBooks/Yr
And This Year We Are Averaging that Same New eBook Level. . .PER MONTH!

         We Are Averaging About 368 eBooks Per Month This Year

                           About 83 per Week

***

***Hot Requests New Sites and Announcements

Please use our new site for downloading DVD and CD images, etc.

http://gutenberg.net/cdproject

and

The PG bittorrent tracker is up and running.
Aaron Cannon has placed the CD on there if anyone wants to test.
You can access it by visiting
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969

Just click on the hash to download the torrent file for the CD.
It's the only one on there.  He will be changing it to show the name
later today, but for now it's just the hash.  Anyway it works fine.

***

Please visit our newest mirror sites:

http://www.knowledgerush.com/gutenberg/
[This one does not have our .mp3 files]

and

ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/gutenberg
Contact:  mirrors at cise.ufl.edu

***

We are in the process of rewriting some of the general FAQs and
would appreciate help proofreading them over the next few months.

We've added some new FAQs and generally updated information
about Project Gutenberg.  Take a look, and email Michael or
Greg with any suggestions or corrections.  We'll have these
updated from time to time, now that we've passed #10,000.
A new set of these will be in the works when we pass #20,000.

http://gutenberg.net/about

***Continuing Requests and Announcements

We're building a team to read our eBooks into MP3 files
for the visually impaired and other audio book users.

Let us know if you'd like to join this group.

More information at http://gutenberg.net/audio

***

Project Gutenberg Needs DVD Burners

So far we have sent out 2.5 million eBooks via snailmail!

We currently have access to a dozen DVD burners.  If you have
a DVD burner or know someone with one, please email Aaron:

cannona at fireantproductions.com

We can set you up with images, or snail you these DVDs
for you to copy.  You can either snail them to readers
whose addresses we can send you, or you can do a stack
of the these and send the whole box back for reshipping
to individual addresses.

We can also send you blank discs in quantities of 50-100
and *perhaps* also provide envelopes, sleeves, etc.

We also have many volunteers who only have time to do one
DVD per day and mail it out.  These are greatly appreciated.
There is no need to do a lot per person if we have a lot of
people working on this.

***

Project Gutenberg is seeking graphics we can use for our Web
pages and publicity materials.  If you have original graphics
depicting Project Gutenberg themes, please contribute them!

To see some of what we have now, please see:

   ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/images

***

_I_ am still interested in a DVD that has an actual total
of 10,000 eBooks. . .or more. . .mostly for PR purposes--
if someone would be willing to make one.

*** PROJECT GUTENBERG IS SEEKING LEGAL BEAGLES

Project Gutenberg is seeking (volunteer) lawyers.  We have
regular needs for intellectual property legal advice
(both US and international) and other areas.  Please email
Project Gutenberg's CEO, Greg Newby <gbnewby AT pglaf.org> ,
if you can help.

This is much more important than many of us realize!

***Progress Report, including Distributed Proofreaders

     In the first 7.25 months of this year, we produced 2577 new eBooks.

  It took us from July 1971 to July 2000 to produce our first 2,577 eBooks!

               That's 31 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 Years!

                  46   New eBooks This Week
                  74   New eBooks Last Week
                  46   New eBooks This Month [Aug]

                 368   Average Per Month in 2004
                 355   Average Per Month in 2003
                 203   Average Per Month in 2002
                 103   Average Per Month in 2001

                2577   New eBooks in 2004
                4164   New eBooks in 2003
                2441   New eBooks in 2002
                1240   New eBooks in 2001
                ====
               10422   New eBooks Since Start Of 2001
                         That's Only 43.25 Months!

              13,484  Total Project Gutenberg eBooks
               8,961   eBooks This Week Last Year
                ====
               4,523   New eBooks In Last 12 Months

                 370   eBooks From Project Gutenberg of Australia

We're still keeping up with Moore's Law!

Moore's Law 12 month percentage =  86%

Moore's Law 18 month percentage = 100%

[100% of Moore's Law = doubling every 18 months]

***

Since completing its first eBook (#3320) on Mar 13th, 2001, the Distributed
Proofreaders team has now produced its 4,966th eBook (#13157).

Projects completed since the beginning of the year:
   Jan 2004 -  267
   Feb 2004 -  421
   Mar 2004 -  365
   Apr 2004 -  276
   May 2004 -  235
   Jun 2004 -  232
   Jul 2004 -  231
   Aug 2004 -   67 (As of Aug 11)

[Numbers below from last week, revising our count now]
Two years ago they completed their 381st eBook (#5655)
One year ago they completed their 1,761st eBook (#8729)
This week they are well past their 4,900th eBook!!!!!!!

*

Check out our website at gutenberg.net, and see below to learn how
you can get INSTANT access to our eBooks via FTP servers even before
the new eBooks listed below appear in our catalog.

eBooks are posted throughout the week.  You can even get daily lists.

Info on subscribing to daily, weekly, monthly Newsletters, listservs:
http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

***

Today Is Day #223 of 2004
This Completes Week #31 and Month #7.25
   148 Days/24 Weeks To Go  [We get 52 Wednesdays this year]
  6516 Books To Go To #20,000
[Our production year begins/ends
1st Wednesday of the month/year]

    83   Weekly Average in 2004
    79   Weekly Average in 2003
    47   Weekly Average in 2002
    24   Weekly Average in 2001

    41   Only 41 Numbers Left On Our Reserved Numbers list
          [Used to be well over 100]

*** Permanent Requests For Assistance:

DISTRIBUTED PROOFREADERS NEEDS CONTENT, PROOFERS AND SCANNER TYPES

Please contact us at:

dphelp at pgdp.net

if you would like to know more about the Distributed Proofreaders.

Thanks to very good recent publicity, the Distributed Proofreading
project has greatly accelerated its pace.   Please visit the site:

http://www.pgdp.net

for more information about how you can help a lot, by
simply proofreading just a few pages per day, or more.

If you have a book that has been scanned, but not yet run
through OCR (optical character recognition) or proofed,
and you would like the Distributed Proofreaders to work on it,
please email dphelp at pgdp.net and we will get things started.

Also, DP is seeking public domain books not already in the
Project Gutenberg collection.  To see what is already online,
visit http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.ALL (a text file)
listing Project Gutenberg eBooks and is available for downloading.

Do you have Public Domain books you would like to see in the archive?
Can they be destructively scanned? If so send them to the Distributed
Proofreading Team! Please email dphelp at pgdp.net with your geographic
location. You will be given the address of the nearest high-speed scanner
(note that the high-speed scanner requires destruction of the book(s) which
will not be returned).  We have high-speed scanners currently located in
the east, west and central portions of the US to make shipping easier.

Please make sure that any books you send are _not_ already in the archive
and please check them against David's "In Progress" list at:

http://www.dprice48.freeserve.co.uk/GutIP.html

to ensure no one is currently working on them. It would also be helpful if
you obtain copyright clearance before mailing the books, and send the 'OK'
lines to

dphelp at pgdp.net

Do you like to work on an entire book at once but don't have the time
or technology to do the scanning, OCR, and initial proofing yourself?
Distributed Proofreaders has the perfect solution!  Just send us email
telling us that you are interested in post-processing and we will help
find a you project you would like to work on.

***Donation Information

We Have Included Quick and Easy Ways to Donate. . .As Per Your Requests!

We Are Looking For Volunteers To Add eBooks In More Languages,
and in more formats, including music, artwork, movies, etc.

***

QUICK WAYS TO MAKE A DONATION TO PROJECT GUTENBERG

A. Send a check or money order to:

Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
809 North 1500 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
USA

B. Donate by credit card online:

NetworkForGood:
http://www.guidestar.org/partners/networkforgood/donate.jsp?ein=64-6221541
     or

PayPal to "donate at gutenberg.net":
http://www.paypal.com
/xclick/business=donate%40gutenberg.net&item_name=Donate+to+Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg's success is due to the hard work of thousands of
volunteers over more than 32 years.  Your donations make it possible
to support these volunteers, and pay our few employees to continue the
creation of free electronic texts.  We accept credit cards, checks and
transfers from any country, in any currency.

Donations are made to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation
(PGLAF).  PGLAF is approved as a charitable 501(c)(3) organization by
the US Internal Revenue Service, and has the Federal Employee Information
Number (EIN) 64-6221541.

For more information, including several other ways to donate, go to
http://gutenberg.net/donation.html  or email donate at gutenberg.net

*Access To The Project Gutenberg Collections

  *Mirror Site Information

Mirrors (copies) of the complete collection are available around the world.
To find the sites nearest you, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/MIRRORS.ALL

*Instant Access To Our Latest eBooks
http://www.gutenberg.net/find
allows searching by title, author, language and subject.

Use your Web browser or FTP program to visit our master download
site (or a mirror) if you know the file's name you want.  Try:

http://gutenberg.net/dirs
or
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

and then navigate to the appropriate directory and look for the first
five characters of the file's name.  Note that updated eBooks usually
go in their original directory (e.g., etext99, etext00, etc.)

***

Have We Given Away A Trillion Books/Dollars Yet???

Statistical Review

In the 31 weeks of this year, we have produced 2577 new eBooks.
It took us from 1971 to 1999 to produce our FIRST 2577 eBooks!!!

          That's 31 WEEKS as Compared to ~30 YEARS!!!

With 13,484 eBooks online as of August 11, 2004 it now takes an average
of 100,000,000 readers gaining a nominal value of $0.74 from each book,
for Project Gutenberg to have currently given away $1,000,000,000,000
[One Trillion Dollars] in books.

100,000,000 readers is only about 1.5% of the world's population!

This "cost" is down from about $1.12 when we had 8861 eBooks a year Ago

Can you imagine ~13,484 books each costing ~$.38 less a year later???
Or. . .would this say it better?
Can you imagine ~13,484 books each costing 1/3 less a year later???

At 13,484 eBooks in 33 Years and 01.25 Months We Averaged
       407 Per Year   [We do nearly that much a month these days!]
        34.0 Per Month
         1.12 Per Day

At 2577 eBooks Done In The 223 Days Of 2004 We Averaged
      12 Per Day
      83 Per Week
     369 Per Month

The production statistics are calculated based on full weeks'
production; each production-week starts/ends Wednesday noon,
starts with the first Wednesday of January.  January 7th was
the first Wednesday of 2004, and thus ended PG's production
year of 2003 and began the production year of 2004 at noon.

This year there will be 52 Wednesdays, thus no extra week.

                            *Flashback!!!

                   2602 New eBooks So Far in 2004

               It took us ~30 years for the first 2578 !

       That's the 7.25 months of 2004 as Compared to ~30 years!!!

      Here Is A Sample Of What Books Were Being Done Around #2478

Feb 2001 Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse [Our English Edition] [siddhxxx.xxx] 2500
Feb 2001 Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse [In 8-bit German]     [?siddxxx.xxx] 2499

Feb 2001 Addresses, by Henry Drummond                      [addrexxx.xxx] 2498
Feb 2001 Put Yourself in His Place, by Charles Reade   [#4][phyipxxx.xxx] 2497
Feb 2001 Our Village, by Mary Russell Mitford              [vllgxxxx.xxx] 2496
Feb 2001 Susy, A Story of the Plains, by Bret Harte   [#12][susyxxxx.xxx] 2495

Feb 2001 The story of Saint Stanislaus Kostka, by W.T. Kane[stanixxx.xxx] 2494
Feb 2001 Adventures of Paddy the Beaver, Thornton W.Burgess[paddyxxx.xxx] 2493
Feb 2001 Orpheus in Mayfair & Other Stories, Maurice Baring[orphexxx.xxx] 2492
Feb 2001 Love or Fame; et. al., by Fannie Isabelle Sherrick[lvrfmxxx.xxx] 2491

Jan 2001 Lamia, by John Keats [Poetry/Poem] [John Keats #1][lamiaxxx.xxx] 2490
Jan 2001 Moby Dick, by Herman Melville              [HM #3][mobyxxxx.xxx] 2489
   (moby11.* is the complete text.)  (See also #2701)
Jan 2001 Moby Dick, by Herman Melville              [HM #3][mobyxxxa.xxx] 2489
   (moby10a.* is only Chap. 72, missing from prior eBook #15)
Jan 2001 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas, by Jules Verne[#13][2000010a.xxx] 2488
Jan 2001 Cross Roads, by Margaret E. Sangster              [crsrdxxx.xxx] 2487

Jan 2001 Queer Little Folks, by Harriet Beecher Stowe[HBS2][qltfkxxx.xxx] 2486
Jan 2001 Movements and Habits of Climbing Plants, by Darwin[cplntxxx.xxx] 2485
Jan 2001 The Boys' and Girls' Plutarch's "Lives", by White [tbagpxxx.xxx] 2484
Jan 2001 Janice Day, Young Homemaker, by Helen Beecher Long[jncdyxxx.xxx] 2483

Jan 2001 New York, by James Fenimore Cooper[J.F. Cooper #6][nwyrkxxx.xxx] 2482
Jan 2001 The Civilization of Illiteracy (C)Mihai Nadin 1997[cviltxxx.xxx] 2481C
Jan 2001 Under Western Eyes, Joseph Conrad[Joseph Conrad25][wstysxxx.xxx] 2480
Jan 2001 The Friendly Road, by David Grayson               [frnrdxxx.xxx] 2479
   [Note:  David Grayson is a pseudonym for Ray Stannard Baker]

[The following are from "The Circus Boys" series:
[Each title starts with "The Circus Boys" = TCB here

Jan 2001 TCB On The Plains, by Edgar B.P. Darlington [CB#5][05tcbxxx.xxx] 2478
Jan 2001 TCB On The Mississippi, by Edgar Darlington [CB#4][04tcbxxx.xxx] 2477
Jan 2001 TCB in Dixie Land, by Edgar B.P. Darlington [CB#3][03tcbxxx.xxx] 2476
Jan 2001 TCB Across The Continent, by Edg. Darlington[CB#2][02tcbxxx.xxx] 2475

*Headline News from NewsScan and Edupage

[PG Editor's Comments In Brackets]

>From NewsScan:

[In two somewhat related stories this week, the U.S. goverment
refuses to give equal protection on wired and wireless phones.]

FCC SUPPORTS CALEA FOR INTERNET PHONE CARRIERS

[They don't want to stop tapping your wireless phones without warrants.]

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) responded to
law-enforcement concerns by suggesting that Internet-based telephone
services should be subject to laws that permit the government to
monitor landline telephone conversations. Discussion of the proposed
rule was the first formal step by the FCC to hold Internet phone
carriers to the same requirements as traditional phone companies, as
specified in the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act
(CALEA). Industry executives who have supported law-enforcement efforts
nonetheless fear the new rules could be too expensive and too difficult
to apply to Internet phone services without impeding technological progress.
New York Times, 5 August 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/technology/05phone.html

and

FCC MOVES TO PROTECT WIRELESS DEVICES FROM SPAM

[So Why Can't They Do This For The Internet???]

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is issuing new rules
prohibiting marketers from sending commercial electronic messages to
wireless technology users who haven't given them explicit permission to do
so. The agency is also urging the industry to develop technologies to
prevent spam from overwhelming wireless devices the way it now bedevils the
Internet. FCC chairman Michael K. Powell says, "By prohibiting all
commercial messages to wireless phones and PDAs absent affirmative consent
from the consumer, Americans can now use their wireless devices freely,
without being bothered by unwanted and annoying messages."
(Washington Post 4 Aug 2004)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41009-2004Aug4.html

more

FCC RULES TO STOP SPAM ON CELL PHONES, PDAS
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued rules requiring
marketers to obtain explicit permission from wireless-device users
before sending commercial e-mail. The rule is an attempt to prevent
cell phones and personal digital assistants (PDAs) from becoming
subject to massive e-mail spam. The FCC also urged the industry to
develop technologies to prevent spam. The rule does not apply to services
that forward existing computer e-mail messages to wireless devices or
permit the devices to connect to a computer-based mail account.
Washington Post, 5 August 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41009-2004Aug4.html

[More on the RFID et al front]

U.S. TO IMPLANT ID TAGS IN PASSPORTS
The U.S. State Department plans to implant electronic ID chips in U.S.
passports to allow computer face-recognition systems to match facial
characteristics of the digital passport photo on the chip against a
photo taken at the passport control station and against photos on
government watch lists. The change is planned despite warnings that
face-recognition technology has a high error rate. Critics suggest
using fingerprint identification instead, as a more reliable
technology. The new passports are scheduled to enter use in 2005.
Washington Post, 6 August 2004
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43944-2004Aug5.html

[and yet more on this stuff]

U.K. PROHIBITS SMILING FACES ON PASSPORTS
The U.K. Home Office ruled that all new passport photos must show an
unsmiling face with closed mouth because open mouths can confuse facial
recognition systems. The new guidelines require good contrast between
the face and background; the full face looking straight at the camera;
no shadows; and a neutral facial expression. The rules will apply
immediately to new and replacement passports.
The Register, 6 August 2004
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/06/passport_scanners/

DECLINING NUMBERS OF COMPUTER SCIENCE MAJORS
The Computing Research Association says that the number of newly declared
computer science and computer engineering majors in the U.S. and Canada
fell last year 23% from the year before. The explanation is fairly straight-
forward: since the dot-com bust a computer science degree no longer
seems the key to instant riches. But Peter Lee, an associate dean of
computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, is unworried by the falloff
in applications: he thinks today's students are often of higher quality,
because they're motivated not by money but by love of technology.
(USA Today 8 Aug 2004)
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-08-08-computer-science_x.htm

[More details in Edupage report below]

THE UTILITY OF HIGH-SPEED ACCESS
In some U.S. public housing developments residents can tap into shared
broadband networks for less than $15 a month -- much less than the cost of
individual high-speed accounts. According to Rey Ramsey, CEO of the
nonprofit One Economy Corp. in Philadelphia, "the real issue was trying to
get access in the home where it's convenient. If the library or learning
center closes at 6 and you don't get off work until 8, that's not real
access." Robert Wendel, a former Cisco engineer working to provide access to
housing complexes, points out: "In the early days, a lot of low-income
housing didn't have washer-dryer hookups, either"; he predicts: "Eventually,
all new houses will be wired this way." (Washington Post 8 Aug 2004)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50706-2004Aug8.html

APPLE ACCUSED IN FRANCE OF UNFAIR PLAY
Online music retailer Virgin Mega has lodged a complaint with the
French Competition Council charging that Apple Computer has "wrongfully
refused" to license its Fairplay copy-protection technology and open up the
iPod portable music player to rivals. Apple uses to the Fairplay technology
to prevent unlimited copying of songs and to restrict other online music
providers from making their secure song files transferrable to the iPod.
(AP/San Jose Mercury News 6 Aug 2004)
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9339367.htm

and in a related story

SONY VS. APPLE, TRA-LA, TRA-LA
Sony, the electronics giant that developed the legendary Walkman
personal stereo, is launching a new version meant to capture the Apple's
iPod's current position as today's leading digital music player. Called the
Network Walkman NW-HD1, the device uses a proprietary file format, works
only on a Windows PC, and will cost $100 more than an iPod when it's
released later this month. Technology analyst Matthew Fordahl of the
Associated Press says the Sony's software doesn't rise to the level of the
hardware and adds, "Sony's format does produce good sound quality while
taking up less space, but users aren't given a choice. What happens if the
unique ATRAC format is abandoned? Just ask anyone who bought a technically
superior Betamax VCR instead of a VHS model." (AP/USA Today 5 Aug 2004)
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/products/2004-08-05-sony-walkthing_
x.htm  [And will Sony's gizmo support eBooks???]

WINDOWS ON A BUDGET

[The quote at the bottom of this one is a riot!]

Microsoft has created less-expensive versions of its Windows XP
operating system to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, and is developing
similar programs in two other countries. The widespread interest in the
Linux operating system has helped focus Microsoft's attention on the need
for seriously competitive pricing strategies throughout the world. Deepak
Phatak, a professor at the Indian Institute of Technology, says that India
is exploring programs to distribute low-cost PCs using Linux but that it
could be tempted by lower new prices from Microsoft:
"People in the government will never play a technology-favorites game.
They want to see value for money." (Wall Street Journal 11 Aug 2004)
http://www.wsj.com (sub. req'd)

You have been reading excerpts from NewsScan:
NewsScan Daily is underwritten by RLG, a world-class
organization making significant and sustained contributions to the
effective management and appropriate use of information technology.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the text, html, or handheld versions
of NewsScan Daily, send the appropriate subscribe or unsubscribe messages
(i.e., with the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' in the subject line) to:
Text version: Send message to NewsScan at NewsScan.com
Html version: Send mail to NewsScan-html at NewsScan.com
NewsScan-To-Go: http://www.newsscan.com/handheld/current.html

*

>From Edupage

IBM DONATES SOFTWARE TO OPEN-SOURCE GROUP
IBM will provide more than half a million lines of its software code
for the Cloudscape database to open-source software group the Apache
Software Foundation. The company's goal reportedly is to make it
easier for software developers to write applications in the Java
programming language. IBM is a leading supporter of Java, originally
developed by Sun Microsystems. The IBM software platform WebSphere runs
and manages such Java-based applications, competing with Microsoft's
Net platform, written in C++.
New York Times, 3 August 2004 (registration req'd)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/03/technology/03java.html

NUMBER OF COMPUTER SCIENCE MAJORS FALLS
Despite the improving outlook for the high-tech sector of the economy,
enrollment in most computer science programs at U.S. institutions
continues to decline, causing some to worry about the possibility of a
high-tech workforce shortage in coming years. Schools such as San Jose
State University, the University of Texas at Austin, and Ohio State
University have seen lower computer science enrollments, and according
to the Computing Research Association, enrollment is down by 23 percent
in the United States and Canada. Peter Lee of Carnegie Mellon pointed
out, however, that far fewer applications were received this year
versus last for his institution's computer science program but that
they were generally from more qualified applicants. No longer are
students applying, said Lee, because they are simply lured by the
prospect of high-paying jobs and stock options. Others noted that
enrollments in graduate computer science programs, which remain strong,
may soon begin to suffer due to increased restrictions on foreign
students, who represent 43 percent of students in graduate computer
science programs in the United States and Canada.
USA Today, 8 August 2004
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-08-08-computer-science_x.htm

STEALTH WALLPAPER PROTECTS WI-FI NETWORKS
British firm BAE Systems has developed a type of wallpaper that
prevents stealth users from connecting to a company's unprotected
Wi-Fi network while still allowing cell phones and other desirable
signals to pass through. Wi-Fi networks are a boon to companies that
want to set up inexpensive wireless access within their buildings, but
many such networks are installed without adequate security to prevent
roaming hackers from easily connecting to networks and gaining access
behind a company's firewall. BAE's wallpaper is made from a sheet of
kapton plastic with copper on both sides in patterns of crosses. The
particular placement of the copper crosses determines which frequencies
are able to pass through and which are blocked. The company is working
on a transparent version of the technology to be used on windows.
New Scientist, 8 August 2004

You have been reading excerpts from Edupage:
If you have questions or comments about Edupage,
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958352.html
or send e-mail to: edupage at educause.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to Edupage, send a message to
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
and in the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName

***

More Headline News Avoided By Most Of The Major U.S. Media

ODD GOVERNMENTAL REGULATIONS OF THE WEEK

ALA WELCOMES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE DECISION TO RESCIND DESTRUCTION REQUEST

WASHINGTON, DC - The American Library Association (ALA) today welcomed the
Department of Justice's decision to rescind its request that the Government
Printing Office Superintendent of Documents instruct depository libraries to
destroy all copies of five Department of Justice publications addressing
forfeiture.   The Justice Department claimed that the documents are
"training materials and other materials that the Department of Justice staff
did not feel were appropriate for external use." ALA disagreed with this
categorization of the public documents, two of which are texts of federal
statutes, and with the instruction to destroy them. ALA trusts that there
will be no repetition of such unjustified instructions to destroy government
information...as below:

"The office's one-paragraph directive listed the five pamphlets, with
titles such as "Civil and Criminal Forfeiture Procedure" and "Select
Federal Assets Forfeiture Statutes," and instructed librarians to
"withdraw these materials immediately and destroy all copies by any means
to prevent disclosure of their content," according to a copy of the e-mail
sent to the Boston Public Library and all other depository libraries.
[Which would have limited access to this information to lawyers.
Apparently they didn't want the public to know just what rights did and
did not exist during federal forfeiture cases.]

"Calls to the Government Printing Office seeking comment were not returned."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07/24/libraries_ordered_to_d
estroy_us_pamphlets/

*

On a more local note, our county just instituted a tax on cats,
which requires registration, shots, etc., and limits household
animals to three [some of this is word of mouth, and I'm not
sure if it counts animals that live in cages, such as birds,
gerbils, hamsters, etc.]

*

And with national ramifications:

"The Republicans will have to go to a federal judge and get a
declaratory judgment to get Bush on the ballot," said Kris Kray,
the official legislative liaison for the Illinois election board,
answering questions about the Republican policy of having their
convention unusually late to allow for more fundraising time.
When the Democrats announced they were also considering having
their convention late the Republicans complained furiously,
stating it was simply for political fundraising purposes.

There were similar problems in several states.

*

Not quite on the level of odd govermental regulations,
but the Washington Press Corps, in a city that is has
twice as many blacks as whites, is perhaps the most
segregated major institution in the country.  Hardly
any black or Latino reporters get to interview candidates.

District of Columbia statistics:

Black: 343,312 (60.0%)
White: 176,101 (30.8%)

2000 Census population: 572,059

[Prompted by several mentions of this outside our major
media covering the U.S. national political conventions.]

SIMPLE SOLUTION OF THE WEEK

Convicted criminals must repay for the their own crimes, along with
those of all the unconvicted criminals, thus making the convicted
pay for the unconvicted and saving all government judicial expense,
since they have to pay for court costs, as well.  Perhaps even make
them pay for the salaries of the police.

Thus crime will become a "zero sum game" for the criminals, as well
as for everyone else.

***

ODD STATISTICS OF THE WEEK

The current head of OPEC [the Organization of Petroleum EXPORTing
Countries] is Indonesia, which is a net oil IMPORTing country now.

*

It costs $67 per day to keep a person in jail.

The U.S. has the highest percentage of it's population in jail,
or on parole or probation.

The U.S. and nearly every one of the individual states, spend
more money on prisons than on education, and the prison budget
continues to increase while educations budgets fall behind.

It costs only about 10% as much to keep them on an "RFID" leash
working from a GPS that keeps track of where they are and warns
if they enter "forbidden zones."

*

According to 60 Minutes, 80% of all counterfeit products are made
in China, where perhap 15-20% of brand name products are knockoffs.
[When I lived near China, you couldn't buy ANY products I know of
that were not copies, and there was no effort to disguise copying.
This also happens in other Third World countries, but not to the
same extent, or so rapidly.  Around the Pacific Rim products are
usually available as counterfeits within a week of release.  The
prices are usually $1 for music [price hasn't changed in decades,
it's just a nominal price] and sometimes under 10% of the face
value of the real products.]

*

Another note on China:  Local residents say that when everyone
was poor, nearly everyone was honest, but the addition of money
has created an ethical situation of "Man eat man."
[Warning:  After keeping notes on China's industrial revolution
for quite some time, I found it odd to find several reports of
this sort of negativity release at the same time.]

*

A note on statistics in general:  I have noticed, even in years
without major elections, that a huge amount of the "information"
we received from Dan Rather, Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw is a
direct quotation from press releases, much of which are provided
by politicians to support their own positions.

*

One more note, I have spent a great deal of time studying how to
see through this kind of statistical manipulation.

***

ODD QUOTATION OF THE WEEK

Hummer vs. Hybrid debate
[Relayed from the BBC]

"The government credits you up to $100,000 in taxes for vehicles
weighing over 6000 lbs?  Versus $1,500 for hybrids?"

[BTW, many of these news stories come to us from overseas,
as our local media mostly refuses to deal with them at all.]

***

*Information About the Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists

About the Project Gutenberg Weekly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately at noon each Wednesday, but various
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

and

About the Project Gutenberg Monthly Newsletter:
Goes out approximately first Wednesday of each month.  But
different relays will get it to you at different times; you
can subscribe directly, just send me email to find out how,
or to subscribe directly by yourself, go to:

http://gutenberg.net/subs.shtml

***

Project Gutenberg Mailing Lists:

For more information about the Project Gutenberg's mailing lists
please visit the following webpage:
http://gutenberg.net/subs.html

Archives and personal settings:

The Lyris Web interface has an easy way to browse past mailing list
contents, and change some personal settings.  Visit
http://listserv.unc.edu and select one of the Project Gutenberg lists.

Trouble?

If you are having trouble subscribing, unsubscribing or with
anything else related to the mailing lists, please email

help at pglaf.org

to contact the lists'
(human) administrator.

If you would just like a little more information about Lyris
features, you can find their help information at http://www.lyris.com/help

***