[GSM-WG] GSM-WG news from OGF26

Jens Jensen j.jensen.ral at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:54:24 CDT 2009

Dear GSM-WG mailing list members,

As you know, the Grid Storage Management working group (GSM-WG) exists
primarily to standardise the SRM 2.2 protocol in OGF.

To finalise the standards document [1] the group had to complete an
"experiences" document [2].  Thus, at OGF26, it was time to discuss the
future of the group with our area director, Erwin Laure (our other AD
was unable to be there).

Apart from its core purpose, the group serves a useful role in
dissemination, in providing relevant input to other OGF working groups,
in ensuring that changes and issues related to SRM are discussed openly
and not just in closed groups, and in accepting input also from non-HEP
communities via OGF.  Thus, we believe there is a useful role for the
group also after completing the standards document, and we propose
changing it accordingly to a "community group."  More on this later.

More importantly, owing to other commitments, Arie is unfortunately
unable to continue as group chair.  It is important for the group to
have two co-chairs, and for practical reasons we strongly prefer having
one from the US and one from Europe (the latter being yours truly).  We
also obviously prefer to have someone who, like Arie, has a proven track
record in the group.  We thus need a co-chair from the US, and we
propose Timur Perelmutov from FNAL, and Timur has accepted.

Likewise, Alex will retire as group secretary, but the group can exist
without a secretary, so this role can currently be left vacant.

Fortunately, both Arie and Alex will stay closely involved with the
future work of the group.  Even so, I am sure you will join me in
thanking them for the excellent work they have done as respectively
chair and secretary for the group.  I am equally confident you will wish
Timur good luck with his new role.

All the best
--jens

[1] http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.129.pdf