[gsm-wg] Draft Charter for Data Movement Interface Standardization WG

William E. Allcock allcock at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 14 11:04:29 CDT 2005

Sorry for the re-send, I typoed the byte-io mail list.

All,

Sorry for the SPAM, but I sent this to the "likely suspects" who might
be interested.  I have a proposed BOF (waiting for AD approval) to
discuss standardizing an interface for invoking data movement.  There
are several of them out there already.  CERN has the File Transfer
System (FTS), the gsm-wg has SRM copy, Globus has the Reliable File
Transfer (RFT) service, etc..  I don't think there will be any argument
that there is a need for such standardization, the hard part will be
scoping the extent of what we will work on.  For instance, all the
examples above are file based, but ideally, this interface would work
for any data that can be addressed.

I expect that that the BOF will be centered around scoping the working
group, but I think we should (and approval of the BOF depends on)
getting some initial discussion around the scope.  So... here it goes:

I think the obvious thing is that it needs to be able to have the basic
functionality presented by FTS, RFT, and SRM-copy, however the devil is
in the details, so I will break this up into "blocks of functionality":

Lets start with naming.  What will this service accept as valid names
for entities that it will move?  URLs? EPRs? Will logical file names be
accepted or should they be translated outside this service?

Related to the naming is what type of data will this service move?
Files? video streams?  the output of simulations? the output of database
queries?  Can we make this a service that any service that wants to move
data can simply invoke it?  Note that I am differentiating data from
messages.  You would not use this to send the result from a service that
summed a bunch of numbers, that would simply be a SOAP response... IMHO :-).

Can we make a generic module that would allow this functionality to be
applied to any service that exposes the byte-io interface?  Does that
affect the interface or is it just an implementation issue?

Can we make this service transport mechanism agnostic?  both application
transport (GridFTP vs HTTP vs ...) as well as network transport (TCP vs
UDP vs UDT vs ...).  My concern here is that I am not sure SOAP has the
functionality we need.  To do this, I wonder if we need the equivalent
of a union in C, so that the parameters specified are based on the
transport(s) chosen.  For instance, if you use TCP you need to specify a
buffer size, but not for UDP.  GridFTP specifies streams and data
channel authentication, but HTTP does not.

What about security / authorization.  This is a broad category and we
should push as much as possible outside of scope via callouts and Policy
Enforcement Points (PEPs), but what about delivery guarantees such as AT
MOST ONCE, AT LEAST ONCE, EXACTLY ONCE, non-repudiation, etc.?  I know
Dieter has a set of use cases that require some of this type delivery
guarantee functionality.

A potentially contentious issue is whether or not these services will
use WSRF and notifications to expose (push from the service) or methods
to query the state (pull from the service).  Hopefully, we can find a
way to make each optional.

If we start making many optional parts to the interface, it will make
what is exposed as service metadata for brokering will become more
important.  I would propose that we should make at a minimum a
recommendation for what facts about the service should be exposed.

All of the existing services accept "bulk" inputs, i.e., move these 100
files.  This can be a problem when the requests become very large due to
de-serialization.  Should we provide a "chunking" interface so that
requests can be of unlimited size?

Please feel free to make comments on the above and more importantly
suggest other important issues we need to address.

btw, once we have a mail list of our own we will quit spamming the other
lists :-).

Bill
--
William E. Allcock