[GSA-RG] OGF22, GSA-RG Session Minutes

Ramin Yahyapour ramin.yahyapour at udo.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:55:13 CST 2008

Dear all,

please find attached the minutes for our OGF22 GSA-RG Session.
They are also uploaded at GridForge:
  https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc15127?nav=1

Any comments are appreciated.

Ramin

Minutes GSA-RG
OGF22, Cambridge, MA
September 28, 2008
Time 10:45-12:15
Participants: 25

Minute taker: Ramin Yahyapour

- Intro (Philipp)
 o Slides available at:
http://www.ogf.org/OGF22/materials/1099/GSA-RG_Session_Slides.ppt
 o Current focus on Interop documents

- Document "GSA - Req and Rec" Update (Alexander)
 o Take current OGF proposals and verify its use for GSA
 o Basic: JSDL, OGSA-RSS, OGSA-BES
 o Optional: GRAAP, GSM, OGSA-DMI, OGSA-RUS, OGSA-UR
 o maybe later: CDDLM
 o consensus: no other spec currently comes into mind.

- Scenario I:
 o Interface to the scheduler?
  - BES is an option. In the OGSA-EMS model, the "Job Manager" is
    the comparable role of a scheduler which uses a BES interface.
 o Challenges:
  - preventing loops between schedulers if one cannot fulfill
    a request.
  - Security, proxies and delegation needs to be considered at one
point in time.
  - Which scheduler/job manager keeps track/responsibility for a job.
 o Slide 9: EPS would be the correct entity instead of CSG
 o Consensus:
  - For scenario I the BES interface should be sufficient for the scheduler

- Scenario II:
 o like Scenario I plus WS-Agreement
 o Q: Does WS-Agreement subsume the submission process? not really,
WS-A is agnostic
    to the SLA content.
 o Is again BES sufficient?
  - Comment for AssessGrid: Broker as virtual provider, use
WS-Agreement and no BES
  - need for WS-A and BES: first WS-A and next BES activity creation
with associating SLA.
 o User should be able to specify whether jobs can be relayed.
  - can be part of the Agreement requirements.
  - maybe necessary also to prevent loops: specify which providers
not to consider/
    not necessary if certain topologies/hierarchies are underlying
 o Consensus:
  - we need WS-A and BES; interplay needs to be defined

- Scenario III and onwards
 o Data management is important, but it is not yet sure what services to involve
  - GSM? not clear what functionality will be provided and how to include
 o Advance Reservation is currently not specified in the OGSA-EMS model.

- Interop preparation
 o should implementations for interop scenario I immediately include
II feature WS-A
  - might be too difficult for some implementations
  - up to the implementator
 o how to learn about other schedulers?
  - currently out of scope, just consider this as given/pre-configured
 o Interop implementators:
  - PSNC with GRMS
  - Dortmund UoT
 o Is it necessary to implement/support als discussed specs?
  - actually not; submission model is enough; there is no requirement
    to implement EPS/CSG etc for the lower systems
  - Consensus:
     - Two interop levels:
        a) no need for lower-level systems to provide EPS/BES, just
the scheduler
        b) full support for EPS/BES for lower level systems