[gsa-rg] Slide for the steps of Grid scheduler interaction

Ignacio Martín Llorente llorente at dacya.ucm.es
Wed Jul 19 05:05:54 CDT 2006

Dear Ramin,

Ramin Yahyapour escribió:
> Dear Ignacio,
>
> thanks for the input.
> I already have some questions about your model.
>
> In your picture, GRAM, RFT, MDS are the key interfaces.

Yes

> However, through which interface do you do the actual scheduling.
> That is, based on which information and which interaction
> do you make a decision when and where an action is performed.
> Is this solely done through the information from MDS?

There is no cooperation between meta-scheduling instances. The GridWay
metascheduler always performs job submission though GT GRAM and takes
decisions based on the attributes provided by MDS.  In this way, a
meta-scheduler interfaced by GRAM can be considered as a local resource
manager (like PBS, SGE...) and the MDS attributes provided are an
aggregation or a summary of the underlying grid infrastructure, managed
by the other metascheduler.

The key idea is to virtualize a whole grid infrastructure by
encapsulating the metascheduler in a GRAM service. This also provides a
natural way to achieve interoperability between different Grid
middlewares (EGEE, GT, Unicore...).

> As the local RMs usually have their own schedules, I am interested on
> how you make the determination when a resource will be available in
> the future. Whether you use any kind of reservations?
> And if yes, how do you interact with a remote scheduler about the
> "timing" of this reservation. This usually considered essential for
> workflows and co-allocation of resources, like data, storage, bandwidth etc.

We currently do not provide support for advance reservation. Such
functionality will be provided as soon as available by GRAM. We hope in
few months.

Regards,

Ignacio

--