[gsa-rg] Use case document updated and pre GGF14 plans

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri May 20 16:56:08 CDT 2005

Ramin Yahyapour wrote:
> I do not see that service guarantees always need advance reservation.
> As I wrote in my example, for HPC systems many use some kind of scheduling
> strategy like backfilling for which you have to provide a maximum length
> of your job.  On these systems, the local scheduler can usually easily provide
> you before/at submission time with the information when your new job will
> be finished at the latest. However, you still do not know when your job
> will actually run. It can (and usually will) be much earlier than the expected
> deadline. Therefore, from a practical point of view many existing scheduling systems
> from HPC could more or less easily provide you with such a service guarantee.

Other kinds of guarantee are also possible once you move into the
economic domain. For example, "I'll run your job by this time or your
money back!" OK, that's not suitable for all applications, but for many
people that would be an acceptable trade-off (and you can imagine
brokering agents carrying out probabilistic studies of the likelihood of
a particular offer being honoured instead of the penalty clause being
exercised, and so on).

Donal.