[gridvirt-wg] RESERVOIR

Wolfgang Reichert w_reichert at de.ibm.com
Fri Mar 21 12:06:20 CDT 2008

Hi all,
many of you have heard or are even involved in the RESERVOIR initiative.

RESERVOIR - Resources and Services Virtualization without Barriers - is a
European Community funded project.
You can see an announcement and further description here:
http://www.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/23448.wss
Or here: http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/2106993.html

RESERVOIR activities and use cases
There are multiple activity streams / tasks:
- Project management
- Overall architecture (led by IBM)
- Virtual infrastructure (led by IBM)
- Virtual environment management (led by Universidad Complutense de
Madrid)
- Service management (led by Telefonica)
- etc.

The project is based on real scenarios and use cases:
- SAP business application
- Telco application
- e-Government
- Utility computing
- etc.

How is this related to OGF?

OGF is one of the RESERVOIR partners. It takes an advisory role w.r.t. to
standardization.
On OGF23 in Barcelona there will be a dedicated session for RESERVOIR.
Leading researcher from IBM Haifa will present the objectives and
activities.

How is this related to gridvirt WG?

The SAP use case, in particular, covers the use cases and scenarios we
have described so far. Surely, all the RESERVOIR scenarios together will
cover a much broader view and many more aspects.
I expect that this project will bring virtualization and grid a big step
forward. Much further than what our small work group could achieve.

Regards

Wolfgang Reichert
Senior Technical Staff Member
??? SAP on IBM Systems ???
Mail: w_reichert at de.ibm.com
IBM: +49-7031-162185 / Fax: -163545
SAP: +49-6227-764084
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter | Geschäftsführung: Herbert
Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294