[Gridvirt-wg] Overlap with EGA Reference Model?

Wolfgang Reichert w_reichert at de.ibm.com
Fri Apr 6 05:45:58 CDT 2007

Hi Paul,
thanks for pointing to the EGA reference model. I have briefly browsed
through the papers.

Here are some initial thoughts from my side.

Grid components:
I think that virtualization does not add new components. Rather it adds a
virtualized flavor in addition to the physical one ... as already pointed
out in the EGA reference model.
Accordingly, the DMTF SVPC working group has extended CIM to show virtual
and physical systems/resources side by side with associations between both
side.

Service Level Management:
System Virtualization definitely has an impact here. Monitoring, metering,
workload management needs to be aware of virtualization.
So far applications play a passive role w.r.t. virtualization. (This is
surely good to ensure compatibility.) Service level management is usually
done from outside. An inside-out view could provide new options, e.g. a
job asking for more CPU capacity.

Use cases
Indeed here I see additional use cases. The paper (2nd part) already lists
some "Future Use Cases".
By OGF20 we want to describe use cases which are specific to system
virtualization.

Wolfgang Reichert
Senior Technical Staff Member
??? SAP on IBM Systems ???
+49-7031-162185 Fax: -163545 (IBM)
+49-6227-764084 Fax: -774084 (SAP)
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

"Travostino, Franco" <ftravostino at ebay.com>
05.04.2007 01:23

"Strong, Paul" <pstrong at ebay.com>, <erol.bozak at sap.com>, Wolfgang
Reichert/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
cc
<travos at ieee.org>, <delaat at science.uva.nl>, <gridvirt-wg at ogf.org>
Subject
RE: Overlap?

Paul,
thank you for reaching out to our new GridVirt group. I characterize the
scope of this WG as a vertical thin slice of the virtualization space.
Simply stated, this thin slice has to do with grid infrastructures driving
virtual machines resources (whether it's memory quotas or "computons" or
infiniband queue pairs). Other worthy aspects of virtualization (e.g.,
network virtualization) are out of this group's scope (some other OGF
groups, like GHPN-RG and NM-WG, have gone or are going down this path).

So said, the EGA Ref Model can be quite useful to frame the lifecycle of a
VM. I very much like its being crisp and intuitive. Thus far, we have had
some loose interaction with the DMTF SVPC group around their modeling work
(see their presentation at our DC meeting). I expect that the GridVirt and
its nascent constituency will start off by building an appreciation of
which model can best serve the GridVirt WG.

What we do know today is that the GridVirt will abstain from rolling out
yet a new model.

-franco

---
Franco Travostino