[gridrnr-bof] Results of Workshop on Reliability and Robustness in Grid Computing Systems

Christopher Dabrowski christopher.dabrowski at nist.gov
Mon Mar 6 13:01:30 CST 2006

Dear All,

Here is a brief report on the Workshop on Reliability and Robustness in
Grid Computing
Systems, held in Athens on February 13.

We had 5 presentations, about 35 attendees, and some good discussions during
the workshop and afterwards. The presentations are posted at
http://xw2k.sdct.nist.gov/chrisd/index.html which provides links to the
presentations.
Thanks to all attendees and participants!  We plan to do this again.

As a result of the workshop, a reasonable next step might be to initiate
work on a
a GGF Informational Document that summarizes current research and practices on
Grid reliability, identifies critical issues in Grid reliability, and lists
preliminary requirements
for Grid reliability and robustness.  We would form a small RG with a scope
limited to
the production of this document.  Obviously, since I am the one who has the
most time
allotted to work on the document, it will be largely my responsibility to
edit/write/produce
this document--but I am looking for help if I can get it. The RG would be
used to (1) host
workshops of the kind we had in Athens where researchers and practitioners
would
present  their work and exchange information  (I hope that some of you can
participate
in such future workshops), and (2) a "holding" organization where the
document could
reviewed and evolved.

I am distributing an outline and abstract that describes the Informational
Document
for your inspection.  All of you are invited to comment on it, make
contributions to it
(some of you already have through your presentations and papers), and
participate in
writing and producing it. We anticipate that the document should be
complete by the
end of 2007 (giving time for GAG to merge with GA so we can have GA input into
it).

Please let me know what you think of this document outline, these RG plans,
and feel
free to make contributions.  I also attach a revised RG charter document
that covers
all this, which will soon go the steering committee.

Also the Grid web page at . http://xw2k.sdct.nist.gov/chrisd/index.html.
Please let me
know if you have problems getting to it (there have been problems in the
past) and
if you have links for it, etc.

Sincerely,

Chris