[gridcpr-wg] Use Cases for Grid Checkpoint and Recovery - Comments

guru prasad guru_bn at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 14:24:41 CDT 2005

Hello Mr.Paul,

I was trying to say we need to mention about where and how the checkpoint will be stored and how it will be accessed once stored. Meaning, After saying Once the checkpoint has been created, I would not know where is it created? Or if this is something we would handle in future documents, we need to say that here.

Hope I was clear this time. Sorry for all the confusion.

Regards,
Guru

Paul Stodghill <stodghil at cs.cornell.edu> wrote:
I apologize, but I still don't understand what you are suggesting. Do you think that there is a particular storage model that is implied by the use-cases? Can you give an example of the sorts of changes that you think should be made to the use-case doc?

Thanks for your comment.

guru prasad wrote: I think we should mention about the storage model atleast as a part of Checkpoint Management component of Figure 1. Though it is implied in the existing document, I think mentioning it will make it more clear.

Paul Stodghill <stodghil at cs.cornell.edu> wrote: I agree that we need to define it, but do we need to do so in the Use-Case document? Do you see any requirements that are missing or would be more clearly specified if we defined a storage model more clearly in the Use-Case document?

Thanks for your comment.

guru prasad wrote:
2) Checkpoint data management. Once the checkpoint data has been created, it needs to be managed. For example, there needs to functions for deleting checkpoint data that is no longer needed. Also, this API should provide a mechanism for querying the meta-data that is associated with checkpoint data.

I understand that Checkpoint has to be stored somewhere to be able to delete or query the meta-data. It is said tacitly in the above paragraph. But I feel we have to define the storage of checkpoint also as this is a big question in its own. This will have implications on Authentication, Authorization, Accounting, and also maintain the Data Integrity.