[GRID-ANNOUNCE] CFP: OGF Community Workshop on Access Paradigms

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer wulf at ogf.org
Tue Mar 18 15:56:16 CDT 2008

Call for Participation: OGF Community Workshop on Access Paradigms

14th & 15th April 2008, University of Virginia, Charlottesville

Organizers: Steven Newhouse, Andrew Grimshaw, Hiro Kishimoto & Ellen Stokes

As OGF's efforts to standardize the lower service and system level of Grid
resources starts to bear fruit, we feel it is time to reconnect that work
with the original driving force, the OGF user community, their software
environments and their use cases. We are holding a workshop to consolidate
these use cases and features of these software environments, in order to
better understand how users are accessing this lower-level service
infrastructure so as to meet their semantic and syntactic application level
requirements.

The workshop will be held at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville on
the 14th & 15th April 2008. The workshop will build upon work that has
previously taken place within the OGSA-WG, the Enterprise Grid Requirements
RG, the SAGA-WG and other groups within the OGF.

Details

The stakeholder survey, the results of which were presented at OGF 22,
highlighted how important it is that OGF reconnects with its community.
Understanding how the OGF community is currently using or attempting to use,
Grid and related technologies is a vital first step in driving the adoption
of OGF's emerging specifications and in identifying gaps where future
specifications are needed.

To improve our understanding of current and future uses of technology within
the OGF community, we are starting a series of workshops to solicit new and
review existing application use cases from this community. The results of
which will be reported back to the OGF community in order to establish how
representative these use cases are of the whole community.

We are not being restrictive as to the scope of the use cases. We wish to
capture end to end scenarios as to how Grid technology (in its broadest
definition) is being used. That will help us to map the respective
requirements to the existing OGF standards, and will allow us to identify
gaps and overlaps. We expect these use cases to encompass a variety of users
(applied scientists, system administrator, application developers, etc.)
using diverse technologies (portals, command line interfaces, graphical
environments, clouds, etc.) across deployments in academia and the
enterprise, and within any domain.

Due to the size of the facilities at the University of Virginia, the site of
the first meeting, the number of participants may have to be limited. We
will, however, accept use cases from people who cannot make the meeting in
person. The results from this meeting will be presented at a workshop at OGF
23 in Barcelona, which will also provide an opportunity for further use
cases to be presented. Participants should expect to present their use
case(s) to according to a defined structure, a template of which will be
circulated before the meeting.

If you are interested in attending this meeting, or providing a use case,
please send an email to the organizers at usecase-workshop at ogf.org stating:

Your Name, Your Organisation, Use Case Title(s) & Brief Description of each
use case.

Participants will be notified around 24th March 2008 and sent a use case
template which we would like them to fill out before the meeting.