[GRAAP-WG] Penalties

Bastian Koller koller at hlrs.de
Tue Sep 7 08:04:21 CDT 2010

  Hi,

just a quick answer to (ii)

Having now dealt with several approaches, I think we have to deal with
two different kinds of monitoring.

a) is the monitoring, which is done inside a Service Provider and which
allows to monitor all kind of data (as needed)
b) is a monitoring, which a Service Provider potentially offers to a
Customer or to some sort of Monitoring Broker (which acts on behalf of
the Customer, may be trusted). We assume, that the monitored data here
will need to be "anonymized" or "filtered" to ensure the confidentiality
of the SPs insides, but at the same time allow the Customer to see what
happens.
Generally this does of course not remove the potential of "faking"
monitoring data to the outsider to give him/her the feeling that
everything is fine. So thats a matter of trust.

In all cases, the monitored values need to be evaluated somehow, which
may lead to some sort of event driven logging and based on these logged
occurances, penalties may be charged in a global accounting/billing process.

Just my two cents

Bastian

Am 07.09.2010 14:52, schrieb Omer F. Rana:
>    Dear Philipp,
>
> Thanks for initiating this thread. There was some interest in this area
> some time ago, I also
> asked the same question that you are asking in the context of the SORMA
> project. Did not
> get a lot of replies.
>
> In the work that Kassidy is identified -- we were primarily interested
> in a financial debit in case
> of non-conformance to pre-agreed SLA terms. However, I believe there
> could be a number of
> other options -- such as re-planning/re-scheduling or supporting
> capacity planning whereby
> the penalty is used as a means to support future resource provisioning.
>
> I guess two issues that were still not clear to me here were: (i) who
> does the penalty enforcement;
> (ii) who does the monitoring (i.e. some kind of "trusted" monitoring is
> assumed often).
>
> regards
> Omer
>
> On 07/09/2010 12:36, Philipp Wieder wrote:
>> Hi Kassidy,
>>
>> thank you, this is very helpful.
>>
>> Maybe, in case we find more people interested in this topic, we can
>> think about putting it on the next OGF's agenda. For me, I look into it
>> for the SLA4D-Grid project.
>>
>> Best regards, Philipp.
>>
>> Am 07.09.10 13:21, schrieb Kassidy Clark:
>>> Hi Philipp,
>>>
>>> In AgentScape, we have experimented with penalties including:
>>> - simple notification (alerting the participants, but taking no other action)
>>> - canceling service,
>>> - canceling payment,
>>> - reducing payment (by a percentage specified in the SLA) but continuing service, and
>>> - charging a fixed fine per incident (a set amount specified in the SLA) but continuing service.
>>>
>>> We are also looking at the option of requesting renegotiation of the SLA, such as lower (more feasible) QoS for a lower payment. Another option we are looking at is integrating a reputation system that builds profiles of each participant in the system based on the number of successful or violated agreements. These are very interesting options, but we have not yet fully developed them.
>>>
>>> I've also attached some papers on these topics.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Kassidy
>>>

>> --

Bastian Koller
Head of the Service Management&  Business Processes (SANE) Group
Höchstleistungsrechenzentrum
Universität Stuttgart
Allmandring 30
70550 Stuttgart
Phone: ++49 (0)711-685-65891
Mobile: ++49 (0)173-7028701
Fax: ++49 (0)711-685-65832

                          `. ___
                         __,' __`.                _..----....____
             __...--.'``;.   ,.   ;``--..__     .'    ,-._    _.-'
                                                       `------'`